Walesy

8v Lovin'

Having been a long time fan of the rado 8v, its nice to see that at long last Im not on my own in appreciating what a great and well suited engine it is in a Corrado. For years they suffered really bad press on here, 99% of which came from people who have never owned or driven one, so it's great to see a few people on here using them and spreading the word on what a great all round package they provide :D

My first rado was a black M reg 8v that I bought when it was 5 years old, I owned it for 3 years then sold it on at a profit to a lady that lived up the road from me who pestered me into letting it go, i've regretted it ever since but was pleased to see recently that she still owns the car nearly 8 years later! she obviously loves it as much as I did! Since selling it I've gone through countless other rados, tried numerous suspension set ups and all the variants but have come back to realising that the standard black 8v is the rado for me (or my wife, more specifically :lol: ) - they really are a great combination of looks, handling, performance, reliability and economy as far as I'm concerned. I live in Cornwall which is a maze of twisty country lanes and roads, so the 121bhp and plenty of low down torque is perfectly adequate, coupled with 35-40mpg it makes for pretty much the perfect car.

Anyway, just thought i'd put a thread up because it's pleasing to see I'm not on my own any more on here in rating the 8v as a great car, this is the 3rd one I've owned and despite our plans to park it up and retire it from daily duties some time this year, having considered selling or part-exing it, I really don't think i'll be selling up and I've reserved a space on our driveway for it to live.

van022.jpg

van023-1.jpg

van028.jpg

Long live the 8v! 8)

Edited by Walesy

Nice to see someone passionate about their car and not dissing other models while they are extoling its vitues.

It seems to have been the eternal debate with VW's. I had a 1.6 GTi Mk1 Golf and the purists always bang on about it compared to the 1.8 variant. That seemed to continue into the Mk2 Gti debate of whether 8v or 16v was best. Good to see it also crosses over to the C.

Nice looking car you have there too. Enjoy

Dougie

Absolutely, 8v appreciation society :)

Although I have to say I bought mine by accident when I was really only after the spares, that was two years ago and it's been my daily car ever since.

Another 8v used as a daily fan here.

Though I must say I am sorry to hear that you are planning on parking it up and not selling later in the year as I would have been down like a shot with the cash for it.... If you change your mind again let me know :)

Yeah the old 16v vs 8v debate goes back a long way I suppose, having owned 5 16v's and 3 8v's I know which I prefer! Historically there's more of a VR6 vs G60 debate on here but I think nowadays most people accept that they're very different and different strokes for different folks, again I've owned both and personally prefer the G60 but that's not to say the VR6 isn't an awesome motor in it's own right :)

And I'll keep that in mind Butterfly, I'm a bugger for changing my mind when it comes to cars, but for the moment the plan is that it's going to live down the side of the house where it hopefully won't deteriorate too much!

Always great to hear personal emotions and stories regarding the much mis-aligned eight valve variant.

Keep the updates coming as I love reading about "every day" eight valves.

What suspension do you currently run ? I'm toying with the idea of back to stock, as I have to traverse fifteen big speed bumps on the way to/from work and it's just becoming a pain, scraping the spoiler on the high incline streets near where I live. I really love the aesthetic upgrade, but can live without the bumping and grinding (!).

What kind of mileage are you at ? And is it an ADY engine ?

Car looks great as well by the way.

8v for president !

I bought an 8v without any intention too, but one came up locally and I couldn't say no.

I ran it daily for a few months before it got passed on to it's new owner, who's on here and as far as i know is still running it as a daily.

Great car, I loved it and compared to my old 1.8 16v was far superior in every way.

Baz.

Yeah it's completely stock apart from the stereo, so standard VW shocks and springs, it handles brilliantly and is nice and comfy so no intentions to change it, obviously they do look better with a 40mm drop but I don't want to compromise the ride quality at all, and it's nice to have it standard! It's an ADY, and the car's covered around 92k miles (last time I drove it!) - we picked it up a couple of years ago when it had done around 75k from the second owner from new, she had owned it for 11 years! she was very upset to see it go but it was making way for a new Scirocco in black which she was looking forward to, she had owned a black Mk2 Scirocco before the Corrado too :)

The only thing my wife wants to change is the registration, she thinks of 'NARKY' when she sees it, so it'll probably get a private plate at some point.

Again, great to see some support on here for the little 8v, after all these years of bad mouthing! :lol:

Edited by Walesy

It is true, sometimes having a big willy is not useable every day, so big up the small willies (so to speak).

Mods please delete if needs be ;)

Can't be many sub 100k 8 valves left now. Quick, disconnect the speedo before it gets any worse.

If we're not careful, we may kick start an 8 valve craze that'll sweep the nation and see our cars values rocket expedentially.

I'm not banking on it though...

The only type of Corrado I've never driven! Would love to take one for a spin at some point :)

i've often thought about getting an 8v for its simplicity and potential as a good daily. I'd still lower it and put some nicer 16" or 17" rims though and leave it at that.

The only type of Corrado I've never driven! Would love to take one for a spin at some point :)

Am sure we'll have 20 mins spare at the AGM Mate, you can shoot off for a blast alone in mine no worries, it's probably one of the faster ones out there too ;) lol!

If it's the same 8V engine they fitted to the MK3/MK4 Golf GTI, then I can't possibly think of a worse powerplant for a Corrado!

I'm sorry, but I just don't get the fascination. At all. I'm a fairly open minded guy (or try to be) but that engine is rough & gutless. I'd sooner stick 1.8T in, or stick with a valver.

:lol: I don't think the 8v would suit you at all Kev, but don't knock it until you've tried it, it's really a much better engine in a Corrado than the 16v, and it'll drive far better than you'd think. I had a MK3 Cab with the same engine and it was a pig to drive compared to the rado.

I remember Jeremy at RKE having the same opinion as you, his 2.0 16v compound charged rado pushes out just over 400bhp so he's used to big power, but he was shocked at how nice to drive the 8v is in a Rado, after driving mine back from Bournemouth for me when I bought it he was not only surprised at how punchy it was but also how bloody smooth and comfy it was as standard after a 3-4 hour motorway drive.

:tongue:

Edited by Walesy

Im sorry but there is no way an 8v is better then a 16v. I'm with Kev to be honest and I didn't want to say it but the 8v is just too gutless for a corrado and yes I've driven a couple.

The only reason I'd buy one is because it's likely to be in better nick as it probably will have been driven sympathetically as its more for show then go.

Having said the above it probably is a great cruiser but even then I don't see the appeal in a slow corrado.

Personal i dont red red line it everywhere. I go upto 2.5k and change gear. So 115bph or 400bhp.....who cares. Both as fast as each other on the work run in traffic. Which is what the 8v is all about. There is no doubt the VR or G60 are quicker if you want to drive like a stabbed rat, but when you want a comfy, smooth drive while not being kicked in the back by 400 horses and not resorting to a Corsa, the 8v is perfect. Its a Corrado in the end of the day, and i would never have had one at 21 if not for the 8v engine.

Its down to personal preference I suppose mate, no point arguing about it and I'm really not trying to convince everyone that they should own an 8v, that's really not the point of the thread, we all have our different reasons for loving our Rados, whether it be a modded/standard/600bhp monster/race car/blah blah :)

As for the age old 8v vs 16v, I've owned enough of each of them in different Corrados over enough years and miles to have made my own mind up what I prefer, I will never own a 16v Corrado again, ever :lol: I realise 8v's don't suit everyone but having gone through the full loop I'm happy with my tiny penis.

As I said at the top, the 8v has received bad press and 99% of the time it's from those that have never owned let alone driven one ;) Speak to those that have owned them and also those that own an 8v and VR6 and they seem to agree.

Although, I wouldn't say no to a Mystic 24v on the drive as well! :)

The only reason I was able to insure myself on the Corrado I brought for my 20th birthday is because it was an 8v. Couldn’t get insurance on any other model and this is nearly 7 years ago (God knows what the price difference is nowadays). So I always look fondly on the 8v because of this.

Having said this I still think it’s a fantastic car. As already said it is such a great cruiser! Surely the fact many people own an 8v and a VR should tell you they aren’t bad cars!?!

Am I the only Corrado owner that poodles along at a merry little pace :lol:

Well, in a bizarrely timed twist of fate, some numpty was more concerned with getting mud on his wheels than the dangers of driving around a blind bend on the wrong side of the road, which has sorta put a stop to our plans of keeping the rado indefinitely! The car now looks like this, as of 4pm this evening.

Accindent007.jpg

Accindent011.jpg

Accindent006.jpg

Accindent016.jpg

Accindent020.jpg

Accindent008.jpg

Accindent013.jpg

Fortunately my wife walked away from it relatively unhurt, she was taken to hospital by ambulance and kept in a neck brace until they'd x-rayed etc, she's very saw and shaken but OK. Luckily it was only a couple of miles from our house so I was there within a few mins, she'd been up to Taunton and back which is a good 300 mile round trip and managed to do this around the corner from home, typical!

Anyway, i'll make sure I'm sitting down when the insurance company give me my offer, I expect I'll be lucky if they come forward with a grand first off.

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

Oh, and they arrested the fella that hit her, and he admitted full liability to the police once they'd cautioned him.

Edited by Walesy

Sweet lord. I hope everyone is okay. You can soon replace a piece of metal.

Damn shame about the car, but it could have been a lot worse.

Hope everything goes your way.

All the very best, James.

Jesus. Glad to hear your wife is ok. I see you have a child seat in there. Was your soon or daughter in there too?