bmwcompact

The first flush of enthusiasm

I spent several weeks looking for a 16v C and finally after long telephone conversations took the plunge. Almost banger money but with a full MOT and some tax! So I collected my 94 Ebay purchase (134K) and drove 3 hrs up the M6 with mixed thoughts: no rust, clearly some recent parts, better history than expected. It was immediately apparent the suspension needed attention.

First tasks: a good Tcut and wax, then all seats removed to clean and dry inside followed by a general cleanup of engine bay especially around air intake box.

After a week it was time to start the real work. The rear shockers were removed. A siezed lower bolt caused problems. The bump stops had disintegrated. The protective covers were missing. So new bilstien B4s and Febi bits inc top mounts ordered. The brakes had been overhauled 15months ago, with new calipers, cables, discs and pads. But it had been thrown together with chewed up bolts, a rotten backplate on one side and even an incorrectly installed pad! There was fun trying to remove the carriers: heat, oil, a new Allen key socket all failed but I discovered Irwin bolt removers which worked a treat. They also came in handy removing the stub axle bolts to replace the backplate. So everything cleaned up, painted and reinstalled with new bolts from VW. The test drive showed that the backend was sorted but the front still felt terrible.

So same procedure on the front for struts and brakes. An impact socket was need for the carriers-normal sockets just wouldnt grip. I also found problems with the wishbones-perished front bushes and a ball joint with a torn rubber boot. Thats when the problems really began! One of the front w/bone bolts wouldnt budge. Over a couple of days it was finally moving but not coming out. Eventually 2 hours of turning forward and back with lots of oil extracted it through the offending steel sleeve. Then both ball joint pinch bolts were siezed. Another day of soaking , heating, swearing before these were finally hammered out and thankfully wishbones separated. I thought I may as well replace the trackrod ends while I was at it, the anti-roll bar links having both sheared off when I removed them. The rodend nuts came off but the joints refused to separate: no amount of oil, heat, use of various separators would move them. In the end after sleeping on it, the rodends were cut off with an angle grinder, the pins virtually drilled out of the wheel hubs, and the remnants driven out with a drift and hammer. Everything was cleaned up and painted, new parts/bolts bought and reassembled. Right now I'm waited for the struts to arrive to complete the task and looking forward to the test drive.

The car is standard apart from 17 wheels and I will keep it so. I expect it to stay with me for many years-I had a Golf Mk2 GTI for 10yrs. I'm already buying used parts for storing for future use.

So, I've not yet had the pleasure of the Corrado experience, and already spend more time and money than anticipated in my first flush of enthusiasm. Its about 45 yrs since I first overhauled the brakes on my Dad's car, so I wasn't entirely surprised that things didn't go to plan. But I bought the car as a Summer only second car-to enjoy driving. Lets hope this one lives up to the Corrados star billing!

PS. Despite the new MOT, the car has a disconnected ABS light. Yes theres a fault there, sensors all check out resistance wise, so thats the next investigation unless I find cleaning up everything has solved the problem.

Update: Struts fitted, car tracked and suspension/steering sorted, though with 17 inch wheels the potholes are a problem!

Edited by bmwcompact

Wow, no messing around! Always great reading posts about work like that. Welcome to Corrado ownership :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk