emu

Would you swap for Audi S3 ??

I did it... I went from a vr6 storm straight to an early 210 s3. As people have said you will lose out on noise and and feel but dynamically the s3 was much better than the vr I had a fast road setup on mine with all the early suspension stuff and good coil overs and it did handle very well. HOWEVER I never really bonded with it like I did the rado, I never walked away from it and looked back... I never washed it fastidiously..... I never wanted to drive it just for the hell of it. For me that's why I only kept it for 6 months and am now back in corrado no 2!

Agree with sime6920 comment dont do it !!!!

Rust bucket springs to mind they rot terrible around the bottom of the doors, arches, roof.

Feels heavy and numb the 4wd system isnt even that good and can really catch you out at times.

Ill agree the 1.8t engine is very tunable but if you want anywhere near 300bhp you'll need new upgraded rods and they getting to the age where things start going wrong.

Stick with the rado mate just my 2p

Hmmm, almost everyone is against, interesting I did like my S3 but it was highly modified car so big difference from standard.

Going into situation when I need only one car well I can only afford one car as hopefully going to uni from September, will see, still have to go on deciding interview in a month time.

Car must be quiet fast, not using much petrol, be 4x4 - this is a must for a winter and be easy to fix, not willing to spent more than 5k on it and it must be VW group. So far only audi s3 tick all the boxes.

Corrado won't be sold, just be kept not used in garage till I can afford to drive it again.

Agree with sime6920 comment dont do it !!!!

Rust bucket springs to mind they rot terrible around the bottom of the doors, arches, roof.

Feels heavy and numb the 4wd system isnt even that good and can really catch you out at times.

Ill agree the 1.8t engine is very tunable but if you want anywhere near 300bhp you'll need new upgraded rods and they getting to the age where things start going wrong.

Stick with the rado mate just my 2p

Sorry but absolute Rubbish, Haldex is a great 4wd system and would out handle any corrado im afraid

I would go for a tidy b5 s4 for that money mate, it has an awesome engine!

2.7T is an awesome engine, had it in my allroad but it uses as much petrol as VR6.

Drove Corrado for a week now and not getting my love back again, still don't know what to do.....

My s3 wasn't bad on fuel if you kept it off boost. I could get mid 30's on a run but it would drop quite dramatically to about 15ish when giving it the boot

Had few cars with 1.8T engine and I know from experience they are much much better on fuel than vr6.

my audi A4 also has the 1.8T 190bhp - yes much better on fuel but you would expect that with a more modern car, newer technology etc. Then again, you dont buy the VR for economy!

Then again, you dont buy the VR for economy!

Absolutely true but if you need economy, you have to get rid of vr :( :( :(

No, I wouldn't swap for an s3 or any other audi. Well, maybe an R8, but that is wayyyy too expensive.

A 968 is a better choice.

Cheers,

Redfox.

One of our sons had one for about a year. The VAG service/parts bills were horrendous - at least from our experience.

Interesting thread! Am in kind of a unique position to comment on this one...

I bought Dads old A3 2.0FSi last year which he replaced with a 2007 S3 (8P platform, 260BHP iirc). When he went on holidays I used to drive the S3 instead and I absolutely loved it (btw, second jobys comment, the Haldex system is awesome). It was having to give this back every time that made me realise I had to get somthing more fun as the A3 just didn't cut it. Sooo.. got thinking about Corrados again and picked mine up this January. Now it's been a bit of a hassle to get registered over here and I've been on short term cover notes insurance wise for a while. The last one lapsed when Dad went away a few weeks ago so I figured I'd drive the Audi for a few days. After the initial joy of having awesome power/brakes/everthing working perfectly/not a rattle to be heard, I quickly began to wish I could get back in the Corrado. The S3 is 'technically' the better car in every way, but I was very rapidly bored of it and started hating having to drive it instead(!), so much so that I went and sorted out a new cover note after a couple of days and glady jumped back in the VR!

As has been said, the Corrado has soo much more character and each and every time I drive it I can't help but grin! I'd much rather have that lovely VR grumble under my right foot than the extra power to be honest. Of course it's a matter of personal preference and what you want/need from your car, but for me I would never swap the rado for an S3...well I would, sell the S3, but another VR and then throw all the extra money at it! :thumbleft:

Chris

Had few cars with 1.8T engine and I know from experience they are much much better on fuel than vr6.

Not when I drive a 1.8T they are not. Had a Polo 1.8T (BJX) and that was comparable to my VRT's average mpg. ~ 27mpg overall.

As for Haldex. In snow and Ice it *is* crap. Sorry. It just is. Take a Golf R, a Subaru STI (current shape) and an Evo (current shape) out on a snowy road and the two jap cars leave the Golf for dead.

Don' really know what to do now. Next few months decide about everything. What I need is

- better fuel economy than vr6 but not diesel, don't really like them

- must be reasonably fast, around 200-250 ps will do

- must be 4x4

- VAG cars only

- fun to drive so a4, a6 etc is to big

TT 225 or S3 get close to those criteria.

If 4x4 and VAG wasn't essential then I would throw the early supercharged mini Cooper s into the mix too.

Why dont you find someone on the TT or audi sport forum that is willing to let you have a drive of theres, imsure the audi sport lads would be willing, The 18t engine is not bad on fuel if driven with respect mine is mapped and does late 30s easily but only if driven normally and is heavy if driven hard, The 4wd is excellent in the wet but as kev says not as good as the jap stuff in the snow but works well enough and my TT got around every other 2 wheel drive car without any fuss! and i live on a hill and it flew up there no problem even with pilot sports on

Golf R32 but the fuel economy fails . . . .

would love to have one but they are even worst on fuel than vr6

---------- Post added at 5:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:51 PM ----------

Why dont you find someone on the TT or audi sport forum that is willing to let you have a drive of theres, imsure the audi sport lads would be willing, The 18t engine is not bad on fuel if driven with respect mine is mapped and does late 30s easily but only if driven normally and is heavy if driven hard, The 4wd is excellent in the wet but as kev says not as good as the jap stuff in the snow but works well enough and my TT got around every other 2 wheel drive car without any fuss! and i live on a hill and it flew up there no problem even with pilot sports on

I don't need a test drive. I know this cars. TT is not my cup of tea but I liked S3 I had few years back.

Is your VR6 engine running properly? I get 32 mpg on typical run like today's. In town, mixed roads, up to 80 brief spells on Mway.

Is your VR6 engine running properly? I get 32 mpg on typical run like today's. In town, mixed roads, up to 80 brief spells on Mway.

Yes my vr6 runs properly but I'm driving on very short distance, below 2 miles to work, lest than mile to shops and uni is no further than 5 miles away and I'm not getting more than 18mpg, but on longer distance around 36 mpg is not a problem.

As for Haldex. In snow and Ice it *is* crap. Sorry. It just is. Take a Golf R, a Subaru STI (current shape) and an Evo (current shape) out on a snowy road and the two jap cars leave the Golf for dead.

Must admit, have never driven it in the snow/ice so can't comment - can't fault it in the dry or rain though, sticks like glue.

Definitely good in dry / wet conditions. Pat McCrotch on here had a MK5 R32 and he fitted the Haldex Blue controller and dash switch, and it was also revo'd, so approx 280ish hp. We had fun trying to unstick the back end round my local back roads, but to no avail! In the dry, that setup is simply stunning. But over winter, you need to be careful as it's not great unfortuantely. That's when you really can feel it's a 'part time' 4WD system.

Well thanksfully should never have to find out first hand. The odds of it snowing in Jersey at a time when I'm driving it are slim to say the least! :cool: