ChrisL

Mountain Bikes

i bought some really good bike and never got into it, still plan to try and use it this year. Its just sat around in pieces for over a year, muchlike my corrado.

why is it all my best stuff ends up being taken apart? :lol:

Most IBD'S independant bicycle dealers do cycle to work scheme too and you will get real advise rather than sales generated advise that you would probably get at halfords.

If you have any in your area call in to ask :) if they are like us they will be extremely helpfull and ask about your needs from a bike rather than what everyone else is buying.

Kip

Edited by KIPVW

I got a Kona deluxe a couple of years ago on a cycle scheme its a hardtail with hydralic disk brakes, have found it an awesoem bike hasnt let me down once !

I heard about the Cycle to work scheme but dont know anything about it really, gonna have to look into it.

The only problem with the new found liking of Mountain biking, do I spend the money on a new bike or a Supersprint exhaust for the Rado and live with my mountain bike??????

Not sure on the colour! Wont 19" be too small for me if I'm 6ft tall?

Is that a good spec then, gears, brakes etc?

I'm 5,11 and ride a 19 inch specialized and that's spot on for me. all bike makes are slightly different as they measure the bikes from different points ie above and below the top tube and bottom bracket.

With a mountain bike you need to go for the smallest frame you feel comfortable on, and with plenty of seat post exposed. Road bikes are slightly different, ie larger frame and less seat post exposed. That's a very rough sizing guide, as captainredeye says, different bike manufacturers have different geometry/measurements. So it's best to try several bikes and sizes until you find one that you are comfortable with.

Concentrate on the spec of the frame, as the components can be upgraded, just like on a car.

Wait until you start trying to pick a comfortable saddle, that's when the fun really begins. lol.

Edited by DriverVR6

Definitely try some different brands I found my Bro's Kona made me sit more upright where as my old marin streched my arms out more. This can be adjusted with a different length stem but its best to get the frame the correct size as stems affect how the bike handles , too long and its like steering a barge.

When buying my specialized I wanted decent forks and hydraulic discs these specs start at around $600 which is what I bugeted for.

I went old school like my car but its probably better if I get something more modern for more demanding trails

KONA-3.jpg

this is quality i can remember choosing between this and a orange clockwork in 1996,i went with the orange but wish i still had it seeing this.

i have been traill riding for years and years,any advice i would give is to go ride the bike before you buy so many manufacturers frames differ in size i have had various sizes and havnt grown in the last ten years.

my current bike has been a great bike its done over 2k miles on trails in 2 years,dalby,gisburn,stainburn its taken some realy hard stick and hasnt let me down once,some trails are a long push if the bike goes down for this reason my next bike will be the same again but every year the price goes up and the spec seems to come down,trek fuel.

whatever your riding im sure you will have a great time its the only exercise i seem to have always stayed with.

IMAG0235.jpg

Edited by tim20vt

Hey guys. Lookin at getting a off road/ jump bike for trails,jumps and going to work ...! I found a 'Giant' STP SE on gumtree for 130 quid! Has any1 seshed one? I'm thinkin it's a bargain for 130 but could be wrong!

Thanx

Ben

d4b780bf-1232-5e3a.jpg

d4b780bf-128b-f4d6.jpg

Giant STP SE . Nice , smooth, well built bike. Would recommend for beginners like me :)

Might go look at a Giant Talon 2 2011 model, Reduced from £750 to £579. Anyone know if this is any good for the money please?

Are giant's good bikes?

Giants have always had decent range and good reputation.

Have you considered a make called felt, relatively new to the mb scene having focused on racers, but they,re very good bikes and for that kind of budget you,ll get a decent setup. Also they,re not as common as other makes. Worth a look!

Well, went to my local cycle shop today to check out the Giant but it had sold. Was looking at another Giant and then noticed they had some Felt bikes in.

Was looking at 29in wheel mountain bikes but they just didnt look right, plus they didnt have nobbly tyres so for muddy terain he said I could do with different tyres and change according to where i was riding!

Anyway, tried the giant but it didnt feel right, had a go on the Felt and ended up buying it.

So I now have a Felt Q620. If anyone can check the spec and see if its any good I'd appreciate it.

Felt stuff is pretty decent - I wouldn't be too worried there!

Went out with my friend on Wednesday and Thursday riding for the first time in god knows how long. And absolutely loved it. I borrowed one of his bikes an done quite a good trail by us.

Going out again on Sunday and then again Tuesday and Wednesday. I need to get fit some how as I am stupidly unfit.

Also he is going to give me one of his frames as he has quite a few.

So will be getting a marin wolf ridge frame with some forks and wheels. Just needs brakes and other little things like that to get it going.

Cant wait to get back out there again down the winding banked track with plenty of jumps :D

Edited by Swompy

Really want to get out on mine now , had a dodgy wrist for ages but its fixed now after two ops

Would love to do dalby forest again but i think its to cold to go now