Jim Bowen

Fuel sat in tank? problems?

Realised that my car has had petrol just sat in the tank for about 18months now, should i try and get rid of this before starting it?

I remember trying to drive around to leave under 1/4 of tank when i put the car into garage, so not much in there.

Fuel does go off after a certain period - not sure how long, but i suspect its before 18 months. I would think you'd be fine by either, putting an additive in or put some new fuel in with it.

Should be ok, no harm in throwing a bottle of octane booster in there just to help freshen it up though; 'Newer' fuels tends to have a higher bioethanol content which does degrade with age causing poor starting etc.

Where did you get the 1/4 of tank figure from?

The thing that makes fuel go bang and burn is fuel vapour, less fuel in the tank means more vapour is produced during temperature changes.

Best bet is store it with a full tank, there is a built in system on both the VR and G60 to prevent tank vapour from venting directly to atmosphere.

My VR6 tax disk ran out in june 2008 so the car's been off the road since before that. There's not a deal of fuel left in the tank but it'll fire up and run with no problems even now!!!

the little needle on the dashboard :lol:

Thats a good one it did make me chuckle...........i left petrol in my C for about that long, and it was fine i just filled up and off i went.

3 Corsa, are you available for weddings? :)

The way you wrote your original post then it seemed like you were aiming to get the car below 1/4 of tank for some reason as you said you were driving around trying to get below that figure.

I was just trying to leave as little as possible as i thought that would be the best plan, thinking i could add some fresh fuel to it then and dilute the old stuff with new fuel

Dunno how much fuel was 18months ago, but might sell it on for a profit!

Fuel shouldn't really be left too long as the octane level drops as the fuel goes off.6 months it usually takes for it to go off but you can end up with varnishing of the injectors and fuel system. In older carb'd cars this can block the jet holes.you can get a fuel stabliser that stops that and allows u to store fuel in the tank for longer without problems.

As fishwick said it older fuel works great in lawnmowers so drain your tank in a Jerry can and happy gardening!

Best off disconnecting the pipe to the filter I reckon. Once thats safely in a large container, remove the filler cap and it should gush out! :o