Bazmcc

The MK4 Golf/Bora Dash Conversion

Awesome work Baz, get everything measured up for mine while you're in there!! :p funny i was going to ask you are you fitting the mk4 handbrake lever setup as i hate the corrado one, its a wee bit flimsy!! good to see its going to work anyway!! :) :)

The Corrado one is like tin foil compared to the mk4 one. Hopefully it'll be sturdy enough with 2 bolts in. If not i might need to add the third one. Would like a black carpet too after everything is ready to go back in. I wonder are the carpets discontinued?

i think you'll need the 3 as it will start to pull at an angle!! something tells me they are as i looked for complete new flooring for mine and most of it was obsolete.... and any bits that werent.... I BOUGHT!! lol

Good progress.

As I mentioned previously use a TT shifter, it already has the 1" backward offset on the shaft, otherwise it's identical to the Mk4

Jay

Jay have you got a pic of the tt one? I tried to search and found nothing. Not even sure if 1" is enough clearance but i'd like to test it. I'll have a look at everything on tuesday evening. Loads of new braiding has arrived that i was waiting on.

Took the dash out last night and refitted the airbox back in. I also fitted the steering column and measured it up. I'm going to add 6" to the top part which is extendable and 1.5" to the part that bolts to the rack. See previous pics to see what I'm on about.

I have all the wires from the bay pulled through into the cabin now. I took the ABS controller off the A pillar so I have better access to the wiring. When I removed it I noticed a little bit of corrosion on a couple of the pins. Being a bit anal I'm going to have to open that to make sure I haven't got a broken pin on the back side on the board. Hopefully it just needs a clean.

I also got the indicator loom braided and got the loom for the horn and load reduction coil done as well. They'll go down the wing together as they plug in right beside each other. Then they'll route along the cross member to the fuse box.

Progress has slowed slightly as I have a lot of other stuff happening but I'll try to get a big push on this week and see what I can get done.

1cb08b50.jpg

435745f3.jpg

ef267cfb.jpg

---------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

Remount relay holder where MK4 airbag was.

Fix or replace broken relay holder.

Mount wiring protectors/runners on crossmember.

Buy clip to replace broken one on bonnet latch pull.

Test fit the airbox to dash vent adapter (big bit on the front of the airbox) and measure it as it needs to be modified and extended to clear the crossmember.

Look into better soundproofing to replace the old sagging crap in the car already.

Suss out a solution to the plastic sheeting needing replaced in the doors.

Take the shifter box to the engineer.

Take the steering column to the engineer.

File out hole in handbrake bracket to align handbrake straight.

Make bracket for 3rd handbrake bolt.

Open and check ABS controller.

Seperate looms out of rubber grommet on passengers side.

Make loom for dash vent illumination.

Nice work so far, I think a guy called PAB on Club GTi did something similar with a mk2 Golf (Seat Leon dash IIRC), so as the bulkhead is the same if you run into any real headaches he might be the guy to ask!

Unfortunately the MK2 golf and Leon are both a little different to this setup but I'll keep the name in mind. (my engine build is on club gti)

Looking back at the thread I don't think there have been any major headaches that aren't fixable (I'm sure now that I've said that, it will all change). The wiring is just time consuming. Well, I suppose if I wasn't working on my engine bay as well, the process would be a lot faster. The doorcards might be tough to finish but I'm sure I'll manage.

Didn't get much done at the weekend due to braiding a full R32 engine loom for someone.

I got a small loom done for the illuminated dash vents on the MK4 dash.

7fd131ad.jpg

17dcc80b.jpg

906ac650.jpg

3725c7b4.jpg

Change of plans with the handbrake. I cut 2 notches out of the mounting bracket last night and it still didn't sit over far enough. I need to weld some plate onto the end of these to give me the extra inch or so needed and I'll drill new mounting holes out of them. The 3rd mounting hole may prove to be a bit of a problem as it's way off the tunnel. It's almost over the seat rail so i'll need to weld on an extra bit of steel for it as well.

54e66254.jpg

I also wrapped the dash trim parts in brushed aluminium vinyl. They turned out pretty good.

04dcfff5.jpg

bdaa6b8d.jpg

1d03bce0.jpg

OK here's the solution for the gear shifter.

Corrado bottom half of shaft

MK4 bracket and return spring just because it's newer

MK4 white plastic pivot/slider as it's shorter at the top

MK4 spring and washers

MK4 top of shaft so the MK4 gearknob fits into the key and flat side on it.

Machining work

New groove for spring C clip 17mm lower down the shaft from the original.

Cut shaft 15mm above old groove

Thread top 15mm of lower half of shaft.

Make flat 25mm x 75mm x 3mm bar for the overall shaft offset

Cut top off MK4 Shaft.

Thread bottom of MK4 shaft cut-off.

Couple of nuts and a couple of tack welds and we'll be sorted.

I've decided that I need to come up with a solution for the broken clip at the bonnet release. Here's how the clip should look and how it does look below. Whilst I like the idea of the gruven one and it seems to do the job ok, it's a little clumsy and I think it could fit better so I'm going to have a look and see if I can come up with something more simple and better fitting.

clip.jpg

This wiring is going to be the end of me. No going back now.

These are the mk4 switches and connectors and the parts of the corrado loom that go to the fuse box. I'll post up any lists of connections as soon as I work them out. Easier said than done of course so it might take me a little while to suss it out.

d3dda1c0.jpg

a66f7f4f.jpg

OK here's the solution for the gear shifter.

Corrado bottom half of shaft

MK4 bracket and return spring just because it's newer

MK4 white plastic pivot/slider as it's shorter at the top

MK4 spring and washers

MK4 top of shaft so the MK4 gearknob fits into the key and flat side on it.

Machining work

New groove for spring C clip 17mm lower down the shaft from the original.

Cut shaft 15mm above old groove

Thread top 15mm of lower half of shaft.

Make flat 25mm x 75mm x 3mm bar for the overall shaft offset

Cut top off MK4 Shaft.

Thread bottom of MK4 shaft cut-off.

Couple of nuts and a couple of tack welds and we'll be sorted.

Sorry its taken me so long, but here is the image of a TT shifter, which shows the 1" offset.

DSCN4819.jpg

Nice one. Cheers. Looks very similar to what i'll end up with. But I don't think even a 1" offset would be enough clearance for me. The radio cage of the MK4 really sits out pretty far forward.

The engineer is getting it sorted shortly for me along with the column extensions and stuff. I've given him a massive stack of work to do including loads of stuff for the engine bay. Hopefully it shouldn't take long although he's rebuilding his CNC mill at the minute.

So this is what happens when you buy clocks cheap because they're untested.

Either someone has tampered with it before (2 screws on the back were missing) or it's just busted and they've opened it to have a look. So as it stands at the minute I need a new LCD screen to leave it perfect but i'll get some time on another day to get a better look at it. I can still get the wiring sussed out and I still have a pretty rare FIS non-can set of clocks. I could open up a set of passat FIS clocks I have and take the LCD out but I'd rather just get a new screen if I can get one cheap enough.

23ee0d51.jpg

acac6d14.jpg

I got a little impatient and decided just to remove the old faulty lcd board.

Just need to decide if I want to get someone else to solder up the new one or take it on myself.

2eaf06b9.jpg

0a0deee0.jpg

On another note about the wiring.

I've decided to mount the MK4 fuse box and use it for a few things. The relay plate I'm undecided on yet as it would have to sit in front of the corrado fuse box. I may decide to make a new bracket for it and mount it close to the original place. Remember though that I also drilled out the bracket for the right hand side of it. The reason for doing this is to handle the way some of the mk4 switches get power and are fused. The mk4 fuse box and relay plate are seperate so are so much easier to modify compared with the CE2 box as the internal wiring is hardlined and cannot be changed. Ah well, i'll get the lighting loom sorted later and I need to make another list of stuff that needs doing as it's grown out of proportion a bit. Need to visit the engineer later too.

god luck with the soldering, they look tiny! When ever I see "untested" I read that as "more than likely faulty" and stay away unless it's worth a punt.

All the best with this project mate, looks tough.

Yip, if I'm being totally honest that's pretty much the way I read it as well. But finding a full screen non-can set of clocks is pretty much impossible. It's the only set I've ever seen. I was confident that it could be fixed even if there was any issues. Lets hope that turns out to be the case. I'm hoping to be able to make some major progress over the next week with the wiring. The clocks are a secondary concern at the minute.

I've been putting off the lighting loom repair, extention and braiding for a while as it's quite a large one with a few crossed over wires but I got stuck in yesterday and got it finished. It took me pretty much all day though (between watching football).

Still haven't got round to the engine build but I'm continuing to work on the wiring. Here's the lighting loom. It needed a bit of a rebuild to repair a few wires and a fairly extensive reroute and entension to get it to fit down the wings.

577360bd.jpg

fd352f1f.jpg

818890b8.jpg

6cbcd257.jpg