Portent

Windscreen replacement group buy feeler

I'm considering getting my windscreen replaced and noticed that a few people have been using Auto Plus Windscreens in South Yorkshire. It's quite far from me but I would travel for a good service and these guys seem to have a good reputation in the Corrado community.

I just called them and they may be accommodating to a group buy. I don't know the specifics yet and we didn't discuss too much. But I wanted to get a feel for whether anyone else may be interested in a group buy. If so then I will go back and get a best price from them.

I can't recall the exact price they have for a single screen but it was around the 250 mark for Mon original screen and around 400 for original screen (both PLUS VAT).

This is just a feeler to see if there is any interest and I don't yet know what sort of deal we could get. Clearly it would depend on the number of people involved. I assume we would all have to travel to, or near, Sheffield either the same or different days.

So... Any interest?

Edited by Portent

Well they certainly get my recomendation. they have now fitted 6 screens into our fleet so cant prise them enough.

I think i need to contact the guys for commission if thi goes ahead :lol:

He did ask if I knew you :)

To be honest it would be cheaper for most of us to get them replaced locally due to travel costs. But I'm equally interested in the quality of the job and if we can get a discount then it would help towards those costs. It just seems a sensible idea if others are considering a replacement to all go in together and use someone reputable rather than risk an unknown fitter.

---------- Post added at 5:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:31 PM ----------

i need mine doing, but got to get car on the road first, deffo on my list though

Is that a yes or no :)

dont know what the differance in quality is like but my windscreen from the local windscreen people cost me £80.00! its fit was good and its clarity is spot on, £250 seems prety nuts unless that includes fitting?

He did ask if I knew you :)

To be honest it would be cheaper for most of us to get them replaced locally due to travel costs. But I'm equally interested in the quality of the job and if we can get a discount then it would help towards those costs. It just seems a sensible idea if others are considering a replacement to all go in together and use someone reputable rather than risk an unknown fitter.

---------- Post added at 5:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:31 PM ----------

Is that a yes or no :)

Well i have a chip in field of view thats an MOT failure, and a bloke came out to look at it, says its too big to repair so need a new screen.

Its just my car is in lots of pieces and a few months away from being able to drive it anywhere.

Don't most insurance policies cover replacement windscreens for about £70 excess?

Yeah but you'll probably get a complete retard doing it! thats the whole point of this group buy, getting it done by someone who actually cares.

sounds prety fair, there not very nice to remove

I'm pretty sure when I had a new windscreen fitted (under insurance) in my old valver (late 1990's) the fitter said it would have cost over £1000 if I'd had to buy it myself!

Well I need a new windscreen but I'm hoping to get mine fitted under insurance. I'm not sure what windscreen I need but I've been told to stay clear of pilkington! Seems a bit odd doing a group buy for windscreens when you can just as easily get them done under insurance if needed?

i thought the same... but then again autoplus are my local fitters who are doing it through insurance

Yeah maybe not a group buy more of a group fitment would be better.....?

Yep get your local autp windscreen company to do the job and then when they balls it up & it leaks or they loose your trims like they did with James's car get these guys to do it right, the thread isn't about what you can buy a screen for its about who's fitting it! :)

You'll probably be able to get it done through your insurance as i have done withthem, even though my insurance company use another national company I insisted on using these boys, all i had to do was pay the full amount £560 then claim it back off my insurance which i did without issues once i sent them the bill.

The prices in the first post are probably if it's for getting done without any insurance being involved if you dont have screen cover on your policy. Simples :)

Edited by KIPVW

Sorry guys but we'd be getting done for insurance fraud if we arrange to get 10 Corrado screens done under insurance which have all mysteriously had a large crack appear in them conveniently in time for a group buy!

My screen is stonechipped to hell, and at night is very hard to see through because of loads of pitting and swipe marks ground into the glass from the wipers - but wouldn't be considered damaged enough for replacement under insurance.. so paying for a new screen out of my pocket is the only way!

So am quite keen on the idea of a drive up to see these guys and getting a genuine VAG screen put in. I'll tentatively register my interest in this subject to confirmation of price. Put me down as a maybe :)

Jim, I disagree mate, if folks need a screen because there are chips and scratches that cause you to be annoyed about them especially at low sunlight it's dangerous to leave it that way, probably all the people interested about having a new screen is for that very reason.

I really dont see it an issue, it's not like people are having them fitted just because they can, they are wanting them for better therefore safer vision in the long run not to mention checking for any signs of corrosion at the same time which could in time deem the car an MOT failure if the A pillars rot through completely.

I'm a bit in 2 minds. I have heard problem stories about windscreen fitting so would be best to get people with experience but I can see what Jim says. I have a minor problem that my car currently doesn't have a windscreen in and it also doesn't have an MOT so I think I will have to go local, unless they are willing to travel...

I seem to have started quite a discussion. To clarify, this is for people not going through insurance :)

Still interested; needs doing.

Personal matter whether to claim the cost back on insurance, I think.

No it's not. If you have cover use it! thats what it's for. Just a different method for the company doing the fitting to get paid. Makes no difference to those guys, just a little paperwork involved.

I'm not doubting you Kip and I am tempted to make enquiries with my insurance company to see if they would replace the screen as is.. but when I made an enquiry on PistonHeads about the very same thing about a year ago, and stated that I thought the screen was very unsafe hence thought I would be entitled to get it replaced, I was ridiculed! They were basically saying you can only get the screen replaced if it's cracked.. and general wear and tear (which is what has happened with mine) is down to me to replace if I so desire.

But as I say, I might get onto my insurance company next week to see if they would replace it just because of the general (excessive) wear.

Either way, Portent I am interested in the group buy still as I do want to get my screen done regardless of whether I have to pony up for it or not.

I entirely agree with you Kip, but it seems others don't. So it's a personal decision for the individual to make.

The issue as regards the insurers, really, is whether the screen is sufficiently damaged to warrant replacement or whether someone just fancies having a new screen. My own insurance states "we will pay for damage..." There is a specific exclusion for extra costs for out of hours service, "unless the windscreen is shattered, or the driver's vision or the security of the insured car is affected".

Seems pretty clear ('scuse pun).