mookie

My First Corrado - Bye Bye Mk2 Golfs! Hello VR6!

I sold my Mk2 Golf last week ( http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=361714 ), a product of blood, sweat, and tears. After seven years of Mk2 ownership, and four different cars, I decided I wanted to start afresh with something faster, and a little newer (but not too new...).

I've lusted after a Corrado for years, test drove a few, but never found a truly lovely one I could afford so always ended up back in a Golf. Until today.

7211804666_1bbc095bd0_b.jpg

This is the only one I have taken so far myself, who cares about cameras when you have a new car to drool over?

So here's a couple from the previous owner (s) so you get an idea what's what - I think it's been lowered a little since the one with the Honda in the shot.

7211825328_443d422e89_c.jpg

7211825702_889f3dec71_c.jpg

7211825240_c661fb832f_c.jpg

7211825138_c6b318d0f7_c.jpg

7211825538_79dc9579d9_c.jpg

Spec:

1993 VR6 with approx 134K on the clocks

Blackberry paint, looks lush. Slight imperfection round one washer jet but otherwise looks gorgeous.

Full black leather interior

Shiney-polished TT Comps (needs a bit of a buff)

KW v1 coilovers with the Inox stainless bodies

DDI dash clocks (very pretty in the dark)

Centre console Corrado VDO gauges for oil pressure and voltage (might get rid of these)

Milltek stainless exhaust system

Momo Race leather steering wheel

Has some ridonkulous bills in the file for what appears no expense spared work from places like Stealth Racing - last April had the chains and clutch done, loads of new bits and bobs, belts, gaskets etc (£1600!). Great service history too, so looks like the car has been very well looked after (not that this guarantees anything on a nineteen year old VW!).

All in all a really complete base to start me off! Few bits I want to change such as more OEM rear lights and a OEM Corrado steering wheel. Maybe remove the tints if they'll come off. In terms of stuff that needs doing, so far all I've spotted is a very squeaky new rear caliper (might just need a lube), and the electic mirror control just clicks (relay?) when you try and adjust them. Apart from that all the other electric work fine (spoiler...

Long term plan is for different wheels as these a little too bling for me, and fine tune how it sits.

Welcome to VR ownership.

Looks tidy - the only thing I dont like is the rear lights...but looks like your heading the right direction wanting a more OEM look - all red rears looks the business!

Welcome, nice purchase, looks to be in pretty good condition, you need to change that filter for a nice Bmc CDA :thumbleft:

wasnt that owned by someone on the forum - looks familiar...

Yeh it was!! I remember commenting on the rear lights too, don't think he'd owned it for that long either...?

Did you buy this of a guy called craig?

I did yes, from near Middlesbrough. I think he had an advert for it on here a while ago but he changed his mind and kept the car a bit longer... until i came along!

Welcome, nice purchase, looks to be in pretty good condition, you need to change that filter for a nice Bmc CDA :thumbleft:

The last owner had one on, but swapped it for this cone shaped filter... might see if he still has it.

---------- Post added at 10:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

Well after a lot of driving last night (nothing silly...) I noticed coming home that the engine felt like it was lurching about when I took my foot off the gas at low speed... almost like a kangaroo feeling or tapping the brakes. "engine mount" I thought... looked under the bonnet tonight and found...

7217632286_ec39695498_z.jpg

One dead rear gearbox mount... lots of lovely fluid coming out. Was fine on the test drive and most of last night, so I'm guessing a lack of use of the car in the last year, it's been a shock to the system and the mount kicked the bucket. Easy to replace though so not too bothered. Just trying to work out what a good replacement is... I seem to remember seeing mention of Mk2 GTD solid rubber mounts being used instead, but I suspect having a fluid filled mount must mean better damping of gearbox vibrations...?

I love the colour!

7217630516_7fa696573f_z.jpg

Nice motor there mookie

Nice colour too. Enjoy it mate hopefully see it around. Could have a mini blackberry meet as newbridgejob has one too from up here

Ha most common car in the North East now :D

Blackberry is such a nice colour, we all just have great taste!

This weekend was meant to be about driving the car, and doing some pottering and polishing. However it has turned into a weekend with the car on axle stands due to the incompetence of some professional mechanics.

Now bear in mind this car had a clean MOT, and had recently been fitted with a brand new VW rear brake calliper. However, since picking the car up on Wednesday, there has been a loud squeak/brake squeal coming from that new calliper. So today I thought I'd have a look, expecting that it has simply not been lubed before installation.

Instead, I found brake pads that look like this:

7227660532_02153ec564_z.jpg

So that loud squeal wasn't a lack of copper slip, it was one pad using the backing plate to stop the car (no friction material left at all). But it gets better. I dashed out and bought some new pads, assuming the old calliper must have been seized and worn one pad down to nothing... except it looks like the calliper was fine. As in fact the lower slide bolt in the carrier was seized rock solid in place. One twist with a spanner later and it snapped off leaving the end inside the carrier. So now it needs a new carrier and slide bolts as well. Amazing.

Oh and on the other wheel, I found this:

7227665090_3bfb1c79b8_c.jpg

Big thumbs up from me!

So instead of me going out in the car to see my mates, I'm sat in the house as the car looks like this:

7227658804_54c0a893bd_c.jpg

:( Bought on Wednesday, buggered on Saturday. Mint.

With all this in mind, I am considerably less happy to put the buggered gearbox mount down to experience either. Considering when I took it out the car it looked like this:

7227666838_5953d5b3e2_c.jpg

New one in so at least that went to plan...

I had the right side of a set of OEM rear lights donated to me today, so just need the left side and I'm laughing. Ish.

If I never clap eyes on another brake carrier in my life, I will be happy.

7235144538_fe37b6fc86_z.jpg

Got the car fixed and running sweet as the proverbial, just in time to take it out just around sunset along some of the country lanes of Northumberland to visit a friend.

7236257862_a26de13672_c.jpg

Nice car Mike, didn't even know you'd got one yet, but hey, I'm slow! Looks a good base, love blackberry's. Hope your enjoying it a touch more now you've sorted a few niggles out. What do you think, ride wise and compared to a mk2? I was pleasantly surprised to say the least mate, been a blast driving mine. I'll be watching this to see where you take it as I loved what you did with your last mk2.

Thanks dude. I'm after a fair number of little bits so if you have any spares let me know. COmpared to my Mk2? Lacks the raw, edgey feel of the Mk2 when it was getting caned... but I'd say it surpasses it in every other way. I'm totally in love with it.

FInally got round to giving it a half decent clean since driving it non-stop all week :p Nowt too intense, going to do it properly at the weekend and Jetseal it and do the tyres. Wheels are in need of some intensive love, so need to get some metal polish or something to shine them up better.

I always wanted a white Corrado.

7250729438_1f23379736_z.jpg

Got the DLSR out and took some quickies... looks decent! B)

7250724380_e2e0311e16_c.jpg

7250721890_b1b3f800a2_c.jpg

7250719394_9b7095a40d_c.jpg

7250716904_a40a1b2b11_c.jpg

7250714248_e26edae8b4_c.jpg

Interior is slowly getting where I want it. Took a few bits apart last night and re-attached them properly. Ordered a ton of new trim clips, dash screws, trim screws, and plastic press rivots last night so going to start again with the trim. Seems to be a perpetual Corrado quest on the Corrado Forum to eliminate all squeaks and rattles! I'm getting there!

It's such a lovely place to be in there! I could happily do massive motorway trips in total comfort - an OEM leather wheel, hand brake grip and gearknob are proving hard to find.

7250711366_f41aaa60d6_c.jpg

Funny little VDO gauges - oil pressure is permanently off the scale even when stone cold so need to check the sender is correct... but probs will sell it anyway.

7250709448_28dc94f96d_c.jpg

Sideways VR6 logo'd gearknob - tries straightening it but that's how it ends up when tight :lol: Bit tragic really. It was like gripping a burning hot coal of the BBQ after the car had been sitting in the sun today :lol:

7250707520_4ff1344092_c.jpg

The business end

7250706354_74b3b7ac5b_c.jpg

This will get a good clean, but it's in awesome shape. Just a bit dirty.

7250703378_2231c8ae51_c.jpg

I love the SWG scuttle cover, really smartens up the bay a lot...need to look after it, since seeing their price new

7250699238_ab8412c934_c.jpg

Made a massive to-do list today - 39 things on it. Nearly all of them tiny little jobs, but I want this car to be as close to 100% as I can get it.

Edited by mookie

That paintwork is really deep, is it original or had a respray? Some all red rears would suit it.

I've also got a really nice eom+ steering wheel for sale if your interested, it's a momo club 4.

Yes I'd love some all reds, I was going to try tinting what ever spare OEM lights I have left over... did they ever make all reds?

I'm assuimg it's had paint at some point, it's got a couple of very light stone chips on the bonnet, none on the front bumper... and it feels lovely to the touch, really smooth. Doesn't look a cheap paint job if it's had one.

Is the wheel in the classifieds?

Wow! Truly beautiful

Your already getting ur hands dirty!

Hats off to ya!

Keep up the good work.

Yes I'd love some all reds, I was going to try tinting what ever spare OEM lights I have left over... did they ever make all reds?

I'm assuimg it's had paint at some point, it's got a couple of very light stone chips on the bonnet, none on the front bumper... and it feels lovely to the touch, really smooth. Doesn't look a cheap paint job if it's had one.

Is the wheel in the classifieds?

Yep, its in here:

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?70725-Momo-Club-4-Steering-Wheel

Thanks dude. I'm after a fair number of little bits so if you have any spares let me know. COmpared to my Mk2? Lacks the raw, edgey feel of the Mk2 when it was getting caned... but I'd say it surpasses it in every other way. I'm totally in love with it.

Made a massive to-do list today - 39 things on it. Nearly all of them tiny little jobs, but I want this car to be as close to 100% as I can get it.

Ha..ha... Knew it would get to you, got me hooked early on aswell. Guess the engine and noise will make it seem alot different to a screaming ABF'd mk2 that hits the ears alot harder than a grumbling angry VR. Totally different seating position aswell that make the car cozy compared to its size.

Get your list up of jobs to do Mike and some pics/list of parts your after aswell mate, see if I have any lying about. Chris (LILfuzzer) is a top bloke to have a crack with and he's around your patch, hes got stashes of bits too mate LOL :)

Ha..ha... Knew it would get to you, got me hooked early on aswell. Guess the engine and noise will make it seem alot different to a screaming ABF'd mk2 that hits the ears alot harder than a grumbling angry VR. Totally different seating position aswell that make the car cozy compared to its size.

Get your list up of jobs to do Mike and some pics/list of parts your after aswell mate, see if I have any lying about. Chris (LILfuzzer) is a top bloke to have a crack with and he's around your patch, hes got stashes of bits too mate LOL :)

It's all just daft little cosmetic bits that a previous owner has taken off and replaced with shiney expensive stuff instead... or where some cack handed buffoon has had a go at installing speakers and then used the wrong screws on trim that now doesn't quite fit right!

I need:

- Handbrake lever handle/grip (think I'm sorted)

- VR gearknob... not sure if this is different to other Corrados?

- OEM leather steering wheel, the later more concave sort?

- Driver side under tray/lower dash that sits to the right of the steering column and the fuse box cover attaches too (mines a bit mishapen)

- Cigarette lighter (mines loose and doesn't clip in properly)

- Battery bag

- Standard door pins/poppers things

Mate of mine took a few snaps of the C last night by the Tyne. I turned up far too late so they're quite dark, but looks great anyway IMHO

I love this one

7256382862_876b665b78_c.jpg

7256383010_b4ebe91cf8_c.jpg

7256382706_900b236e89_c.jpg

---------- Post added at 7:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:33 PM ----------

I started to remove the insane ICE wiring in the car... unless I am much mistake, wiring a +ive battery feed to the + and - doesn't seem quite right?

7257075494_1922f07a5d_c.jpg

The phono leads had been cut and then taped back together... wtf? :lol: Suffice to say none of it seems to be connected to the HU (thank god) or have any purpose other than to look a mess. So out it comes.

One of my radiator fans had this rattling round inside it

7257077546_261c44d15e_z.jpg

Very thin but tough rubber with a groove in it... about the same size as the fan. Hmmm.

Nice pics there buddy. his a shout if you want

Should have a gear knob ill take a look

Defo have a lighter will check clips.

Have some pins but sure u can get new too.

Have under trays but if yours are just sagged under steering wheel they could poss ne fixed by fixing properly. There is a wiki on the saggy undertrays.

A good ol' list of Corrado's there mate! If you can dig out those few bits, that would be awesome! I'm likely to be at the DNE meet on Sunday... not sure if you go to them or not? Problem with the undertray bit on mine, is that some clever clogs has decided not to use the OEM self tappers to screw it back on, and has used great big thick silver DIY screws instead... so the try has warped a little from not being on quite straight or tight enough. I'm hoping the masses of VW fixing and screws I've ordered will maybe do the trick.