mookie

Is this a Corrado bonnet stay?

7303464320_630d833da7_c.jpg

Either I'm being a total div, or this isn't the right bonnet stay for my car (VR6)? It keeps getting jammed under the bonnet when it's closed, and so I've just taken it off all together and keep it in the garage. The rubber grommet/bush/bung that holds it in place is split in half so I can't get it to sit properly with the bonnet up... but when down it just doesn't seem to fit in place at all!

Apologies for the noobish questions...

Plenty of bends in that mookie, looks like someone at VW could not make their minds up which way they wanted to bend it.

As for your question, I'll take a photo of mine later if no one else comes up with an answer for you.

Looks right to me mate the extra bends are for the spark plug removal tool that should be attached to it

I must be doing something wrong then cos I can't get it to sit right... although the split rubber bung isn't helping.

That is a Corrado bonnet stay. It does have that many kinks in it.

Mines never been the same since going into the garage. It doesnt sit in the clip holder on the slam panel and always get caught between the slam panel and bonnet. Either that or it falls between the slam panel and engine.

Yeah that's exactly what it does on mine... I got sick of having a half open bonnet after pulling the handle and having to fanny about sticking my fingers through the gap to free it!

The rubber ring looks like it needs to be further down. It should be about 150mm from the bend that sits in the bracket near the bottom, it's there to protect any rubbing on the slam panel.

I've attached two photos of the bonnet props on my VR6 and 16V. The VR6 one on mine is straight with very few bends. The 16v has many bends and looks like yours. Both sit perfectly on the slam panel when the bonnet is closed with no issues of rattling, coming loose....

Also, I've said this before, but the spark plug removal tool is not always located on the bonnet prop. Mine is located in its own designated place in the toolkit in the boot together with the jack.

I don't know where I'm going wrong then! The fact the rubber bung is useless probably isn't helping... but I tried again to get it to lie flat and I'm damned if I can ha ha ha

The bit of metal where it fits to wing can be bent quite easily, took me ages to get mine off and could see how someone would be tempted to bend it to make removal easier.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

Looks right to me mate the extra bends are for the spark plug removal tool that should be attached to it

didnt know there was meant to be a spark plug tool!

I've attached two photos of the bonnet props on my VR6 and 16V. The VR6 one on mine is straight with very few bends. The 16v has many bends and looks like yours. Both sit perfectly on the slam panel when the bonnet is closed with no issues of rattling, coming loose....

Also, I've said this before, but the spark plug removal tool is not always located on the bonnet prop. Mine is located in its own designated place in the toolkit in the boot together with the jack.

I'd say those bonnet props should be the other way round, the straighter one is for the 16v. Both my valvers had the straight one and my VR has the more bent one. I've seen many VR's with the more bent one.

I'm going to ask for the worst, but dull picture request ever in the history of the Corrado Forum...

...can someone take a picture of the bendy one clipped to their slam panel?

daves16v, the bonnet prop on my VR6 is the original one. I have had the car for 12 years and I've never changed or altered it, and I don't think the previous owners ever did and can't see any reason why anyone would, after all it's not something that wears out. It sits perfectly in its retaining clip and has never come loose. My VR6 is one of the first ones into the UK, so it's spec is a little different. It was an ex dealer demo car. It also has the spark plug lead tool in the boot tool kit which people keep saying should be on the bonnet prop. Well it isn't and sits in its own individual location in the tool kit. Could be the reason I still have mine and so many other people have lost theirs.....

I'm going to ask for the worst, but dull picture request ever in the history of the Corrado Forum...

...can someone take a picture of the bendy one clipped to their slam panel?

If you want mate if you about over the next ouple of days in sunderland you could pop over and have a gander it mine which should give you a better idea

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

daves16v, the bonnet prop on my VR6 is the original one. I have had the car for 12 years and I've never changed or altered it, and I don't think the previous owners ever did and can't see any reason why anyone would, after all it's not something that wears out. It sits perfectly in its retaining clip and has never come loose. My VR6 is one of the first ones into the UK, so it's spec is a little different. It was an ex dealer demo car. It also has the spark plug lead tool in the boot tool kit which people keep saying should be on the bonnet prop. Well it isn't and sits in its own individual location in the tool kit. Could be the reason I still have mine and so many other people have lost theirs.....

^^ is correct as my early vr has the straight one on but my blackbeery has the bendy one on. I must admit when I bought my early one it never came with the removal tool but the blackberry did on the bonnet prop

Yeah mate that would be cool! WOuldn't mind having a look at a couple of other things too, few things I'm sure aren't sat/fitted right either ha ha ha