8vMatt

Is it possible to do forum auctions and give the forum the proceeds?

Hi guys

I thought it might be interesting to see if we can do sales or for more fun, do auctions to sell parts that aren't needed. Then all the proceeds go to the running and upkeep of this great forum. Would this be of interest and could it work without too many hiccups? Is there anything setup in the software that would support this and display it easily?

Good or slightly out there idea?

I'll start by offering a headlight switch up for the highest bidder. No gain to me at all and I'll cover postage.

Any ideas to improve this are very welcome.

Great idea Matt. I did message you, now I'm back in the country to see if there were any switches left, but I haven't had a response yet.

Well it seemed like a good idea after a few JD's last night. But only one reply during the day suggests not! Pah, where's ya generosity folks? Lol.

I don't think it's a bad idea mate, but personally kind of reluctant to duplicate functionality of places like eBay that already have all the framework in place. Ultimately it's up to Andi though - I've not even got any idea whether the functionality exists in the software to do this.

Personally, though its great occassionally to get a bargain on Ebay cos no one else bids its also very frustrating to wait a week and be sniped at the last second. I like the forum- the price is set and its first come. If it doesnt sell the price is lowered. Its more civilised, less hassle, more certainty, more like mates dealing with mates. It feels like we are helping each other keep our cars on the road rather than trying to make money out of the lack of supply for Corrado parts.

I did read last night and think it's a very nice/generous idea.

As Jim says, I don't think we can automate it very easily. Well we did have auction functionality with the new/old classified system but the locals decided against keeping it ;)

I dare say just start a parts for sale thread but tag it/highlight as a charity auction.

Drop Andi a PM, he may have a better idea though...

Not quite the same thing, but another forum i use has members who do giveaways.

If you've got something you don't need you put it up for free, people add their names to a list and you use an online number picker to pull out a winner.

You can specify postage must be covered, or in this example a set forum donation by the winner etc.

I like the general idea though, I think maybe PM'ing 'sealed bids' would be logistically an easier way of doing it.

Could you not just bid in the thread ? Each bid has to be higher than the last post , and a time cut of point for the last bid , who ever has the last post and bid wins the item

Good idea and that would keep everything nice and clear so everyone can see where the bids are at

Could you not just bid in the thread ? Each bid has to be higher than the last post , and a time cut of point for the last bid , who ever has the last post and bid wins the item

Good idea and that would keep everything nice and clear so everyone can see where the bids are at

That's kind of what I had in mind once I knew the software wasn't in place to display an auction. Seems a simple and clear way of doing it. Let us know if its something you guys would be interested in doing?

May as well be the guinea pig .... personally I would ask for bids and state that if no better bid is received after 96 hours (or whatever) the last bidder gets the item.