eugopnosaj

Smoke! or a very small ghost...

OK so I went to start the car and after I turned the key in the ignition there was smoke coming from the steering column from behind the steering wheel. Its the second time it has happened, the last was a few weeks ago, and it lasts a couple of seconds or so. It is light grey in colour, is odourless (or at least doesn't last long enough to smell).

I have taken the steering wheel off and the stalks, no issues, no melted wires, nothing is damaged I'm at a loss as to where the smoke is coming from...

Any ideas or should i call in the ghostbusters?!

Oh, its on my VR6..

I've had this problem, spent a long time searching for it, had a good search on here,and your not alone !

Mine stopped when I replaced the wiper stalk !

It's nothing to worry about,it's just dust on a couple of connections !

IIRC DavidWort has wrote a very good article about stripping and cleaning the stalks !

Had this on my mk3 before. Didn't do anything. Only happened once or twice.

Always carried a fire extinguisher though so didn't worry too much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for the replies, I've got a fire extinguisher just in case! I've seen the results of electrical fires in Corrados and they're not pretty.

Ill give the contacts a clean and just keep an eye on it.

Had this also with my mk3 - happened once or twice but no issues ever arose!! Worrying when it happened for the 1st time!!

Used to get this on my G60 too every once in a while... never developed into any bigger problem in the time I owned it! :)

Well looks like its a common problem, as long as it doesn't get worse and smoke, or ghosts, start coming from other areas of the car it should be alright hopefully...will just have to keep an eye on it