britpop95

putting vr6 in 8v corrado???

Hello everyone ive recently come across a well priced 2.9 vr6 engine in going running order. I currently own a corrado 8v and was wondering how simple the conversion is? The reason im asking is because i know it would probably be easier to go and buy a corrado vr6. but my corrados body work is in great shape as is the interior and its in my one of my favourite colours (moonlight blue) Ive got a good selection of tools and equipment to use. So anyone any ideas???

I don't think "Buy a VR6" as a flippant response holds water any more. 8Vs are the pick of the crop for bodywork as they weren't thrashed and crashed like the G60s and VR6s were. And IIRC, they have the VR6 bonnet and wings anyway, and interior?

But yeah, it would be easier / nicer to get a POS VR6 to butcher parts from, such as the entire subframe / engine / drivetrain assembly and obviously the harnesses, ECU etc and everything else you'll need.

Do it!

so id need the wiring loom?

would i need the vr6 driveshafts aswell? what about the ecu's and things like that, cheers pal

Yep, all of it.... clocks, harnesses, ECU, the lot. Driveshafts etc yeah if you're going 5 stud as I think they're a bit different to 4 stud ones.

so id need the wiring loom?

would i need the vr6 driveshafts aswell? what about the ecu's and things like that, cheers pal

although i totally agree with kev that its not actually as bad an idea as it seems, i would still expect you to have a decent understanding of what you're letting yourself in for and the skill to be able to do it. its not just take out one engine drop another one in..

finding a vr6 breaker will make life much easier.

I agree. I did a TDi conversion on an 8V, along with a full widetrack conversion too (VR6 running gear - wishbones, hubs, suspension, driveshafts, rear beam etc).

I had the TDi donor and the benefit of a full VR6 donor to be going on with and luckily didn't need to purchase anything other than nuts, bolts and service items. If you simply just have an engine then you'll find there are an awful lot of other parts that you need that you won't have, even if you stay with the 8V narrow track running gear.

It's not a difficult conversion to do, I'm going to be putting a VR6 in a 16V (from a VR6 donor) in a couple of weeks time and have allowed a week to do it, but it can be time consuming if you get halfway through and realise you need a part that you don't have.

Good luck with it whatever you decide to do :-)

i think the best way to look at it is to think of it as an easier mk2 golf vr6 conversion { which has been covered alot on mk2vr6.com }, the electrics will be plug n play so its no big deal realy, just decide on wether or not you want to retain 4stud or complete swap to 5stud,

http://mk2vr6.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3335

and yea if your bodys good it makes complete sense to do this, have you thought about going 24v though? the 24v 2.8 AUE motor and wireing an ecu can be had for very little moneys although getting the wireing to be plug n play is alot harder.

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

Well thanks for all your comments guys. I shall let you know what happens , i know what your saying about the required skills and stuff. The tools and equipment is no issue, and ive got some good mates with good vag expierience. Ive actually got a mate who's a head mechanic at vw corkills wigan. He knows his stuff. Im still pondering on what to do really.

The 8v thats in runs perfect and pulls quite well for an 8v, its never missed a beat starts first time everytime. its on 131000 miles with a good service history and before me had the same owner for the last 9 years. So in one respect i think its a shame to pull apart possibly one of few remaining 8v's epscially when mine is in good nick (not being big headed there haha)

keep the 8V and get a VR with a blown engine with good bodywork and do a swop on that

I've just started to break a VR6 with a suspect engine problem but everything else is available if you decide to do it.

I've just started to break a VR6 with a suspect engine problem but everything else is available if you decide to do it.

thats what you need!