GlosterOx

VR6 Throttle Body

I've recently managed to pick one up from a local breakers yard off a Corrado VR6 auto, 2 questions:

1) Is it the same as the one off a manual VR6

2) Is there anything to be gained by machining the bore @ work to open it up a bit more i.e. Power or throttle response?

Ian.

Pretty sure the result would be minimal Ian. May be worth a try though if you can do it at work.

Sure I have read else where on the forum that a larger bore on the throttle body is quite beneficial. I am on the look out for one but don't fancy doing it myself.

Edited by captainredeye
cant spell

The theory is, the larger the bore the more air flow and better top end but in my opinion theres no point having better top end because you just cannot use it these days. If you want better throttle response go obd2, the obd2 throttle body actually has a smaller bore which helps with throttle response.

i've just fitted a gas flowed throtle body and for me it just make the engine more eager to pull through the whole rev range and more responsive a good mod !! do it....

What breakers yard was that Ian? Harry's or twig worth?

It was Harry's, it had already been there about a month when I got there and not much left.

Ian.

---------- Post added at 8:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:56 PM ----------

I think it's worth the risk, into the m/c shop Monday it is then.

Ian.

From experience with other lumps, if you are running a highly tuned motor with a ported head, matched ports etc work on the throttle body would add to the cumulative effect of all the mods and be worthwhile

As a standalone flow mod the effect will be minimal as the better flow you create through it will be stifled in other areas (manifold, head & valve seats.).

Swiftkid - the OBD2 throttle butterfly is quite a bit bigger that that in the standard Corrado item.

Having had a gas flowed item on one of the VRs, it did make for a slightly different feel to the throttle (as if i were using more throttle than was the case), but the difference was less than fitting a late model OBD1 item from another car which had a direct linkage to the butterfly, rather than the two stage affair that the C normally uses.

Oh, and for road use, the 2.8 manifold gives more torque lower down the rev range, but will mean you have no hope of winning rolling road days. :)