Jim

Ariel Atom... holy hell!!

Having a rather car oriented few weeks! I got back from the USA last week where I had the pleasure of spending a few days in this:

400793_10151010435321816_748851188_n.jpg

This weekend, through a convoluted set of circumstances, I ended up getting a supercar experience day at Bruntingthorpe. I've been to several of these before and driven a good selection of cars. This time I went for another go in an R8 (drove one before.. REALLY liked it) and then decided to go for the Ariel Atom - and it was the supercharged one too!

The R8 was excellent again. I've said it before but it really does feel like a Corrado on steroids - similar driving position and feel, but just so much quicker and sounds spectacular. The only let down is the semi-automatic gearbox.. horrid.

The Atom however was on an entirely different level. The instructor said performance was 640bhp per tonne and I wasn't really sure what that would equate to on the road - but it made itself known pretty quickly. Not only was the car unbelievably low (you almost feel like you're lying down when you clamber into it) but the suspension is VERY uncompromising. The instructor advised me to stay clear of drain covers on the circuit - went over one and felt like I'd just fallen out of a tree and hit the floor.. I can't imagine driving one on public roads. But the performance... JESUS H. Because the car has no traction control or any other driver aids, for safety reasons they pretty much get you up to 5th gear and leave it there for the duration of the drive but that didn't take anything away from it. The only way to describe it was terrifying. Once you come out of a corner and straighten up you stand on the pedal and you get that howling induction noise from behind your ear and it's like being fired out of a cannon - and the rate of acceleration just got more and more savage till I simply couldn't believe how it was going.

The instructor was excellent and really confidence inspiring and by the last lap I was absolutely flying through the chicanes at a pace I absolutely would not believe and was right on the on the limit of comfort / self preservation.. and it was quite enjoyable absolutely screaming past all the people dithering around in 911 Turbo's and Lamborghini Murcielago's ;) I have to say that if you want to try one of these cars out, 6th Gear Experiences were excellent and REALLY let me push the car as hard as I dared - I didn't feel short changed or like they nannied me at all. I'd come flying out of a corner and he was on the intercom saying "More power.. more power..." - I was thinking "I dare not go any quicker!!" :)

Awesome. I think I want one. Got to experience that level of performance again.

Edited by Jim

I love the top gear shows that featured the Atom - even May looked like he was loving it. How much are the supercharged versions?

....I should probably stop there; the Corrado's used as a weekend car as it is and if I bought a purpose made one I think the wife might actually spontaneously self combust!

M.

I think you'd be looking at between 30-40k for a good used example! :( Way more than I could afford. And you can get a heck of a lot of other good cars for that sort of money.

:cool: I'm very envious right now! I've always thought the atom would be awesome to drive - I've only ever seen one on the road and it looked amazing. It's a long time since I've done a car experience day and I really must see about doing another when time permits. Interesting that you were encouraged to push the car (unless you were driving like a wuss ;)) - you were either prevented from using all the gears, or rev-limited.

I've just looked at the 6th gear website and see they do elvington, york - not quite as convenient as croft, but not too far away. If only I had more time.....

:cool: I'm very envious right now! I've always thought the atom would be awesome to drive - I've only ever seen one on the road and it looked amazing. It's a long time since I've done a car experience day and I really must see about doing another when time permits. Interesting that you were encouraged to push the car (unless you were driving like a wuss ;)) - you were either prevented from using all the gears, or rev-limited.

I've just looked at the 6th gear website and see they do elvington, york - not quite as convenient as croft, but not too far away. If only I had more time.....

I'm pretty sure I wasn't driving like a wuss. They have a no spin policy there - you spin the car, and you're ejected from the session! And I was very conscious that the car had absolutely no traction / stability, servo assistance on the brakes, ABS, etc etc and my experience of rear wheel drive is limited - so didn't want to get caught out by the power of the car. I never got to look down at the speedo at any point because I was concentrating so much but as I say, absolutely blasted past some proper supercars so I think I was going pretty well! :)

And in fact just checked the "score" from my instructor and it says 89/100 - "Fast and smooth" ;)

I would love the eariel atom and the r8 haha would love to drive one on the roads with no instructors , how much was the day to drive the atom and r8 ??

Had a great exparience my self last weekend as i had the chance to have a ride in one of only 3 in the world lister storms and it was the first one ever made , the one they took all the mouldings for , they had to make five road going versions before they could make the race cars , engine was a jag lump , 7 litre twin supercharged and 650 bhp with no traction control or abs , it also shares a few corrado parts , doors to an extent they have been modified , wing mirrors and rear glass and probs a few other bits .

Power was very unforgiving but driving it steady it was really compfy and it handled very well indeed

Felt quite special that day being its such a rare car and it only come about after i did a small job on it for him

Ill try get a pic up its not great as i took it quick as the guy is obviously a bit carefull with it and wary of me taking pics

I think it was approximately £129 for the day but they sometimes come up around the £99 if you keep an eye out on their site!

That Lister sounds like a monster!!

Nice one, Jim. Hooked on some V8s now? :lol:

The Atom experience sounds awesome, too. As far as suspension is concerned, you may now finally understand what I´m going through with My Mk1 and its Nürburgring set-up. Fix the roads!! Not the suspension!!

Tempest

Nice one, Jim. Hooked on some V8s now? :lol:

Not with 22MPG I'm not! :)

I did a super car experience earlier in the year, all on the road..

The cast, Ferrari 360 Spider manual, Ford Focus RS with 400hp, Aston Martin DB9 Volante, Porsche 911 Turbo S, Lotus Evora..

Very interesting day, Ferrari great, Focus was a rocket but the pedals felt like a fiesta, the Aston was dreadful (i wanted to love it). The lotus felt so slow but that was simply down to how wonderful the 911 was, it was without a doubt the best car I've ever driven by a long way.. I now adore Porsches..

The guy also has a Lambo, R8 and an Atom that he brings along on other days and he says the Atom is ridiculous...

Funny you said that about the Aston.. one of the supercar days I did a few years ago comprised of the R8, a Murcielago and the Aston DBS.. I was REALLY disappointed by the Aston. Without a doubt one of the prettiest cars around but one of the most dull things I'd ever driven!

I was just going to send dog poo to be honest.....

I recently did a 3 car shoot out: 360, DB9 & lamborghini gallardo. I too was let down by the Aston. Very heavy feeling & struggled to stop. 360 felt like a fiat but the Lambo..... I nearly cried.

I was just going to send dog poo to be honest.....

I recently did a 3 car shoot out: 360, DB9 & lamborghini gallardo. I too was let down by the Aston. Very heavy feeling & struggled to stop. 360 felt like a fiat but the Lambo..... I nearly cried.

Gallardo for me too, absolutely love them, best car out there for me - for proper Supercars anyway !

Never driven the Gallardo yet but did drive the Murcielago.. it was pretty terrifying because it was so huge and it REALLY went when you put your foot down. They always said that the Murcielago was much more easy to drive and less likely to bite you because of the Audi involvement - if that's the case then I bet the Diablo was absolutely terrifying!

Jealous!! I've been meaning to get myself on these for a LONG time, just can't get around to it!

By the looks of it, I'll skip the Astons but any Lambo and the R8, plus the Atom if I want stains, sorted! :D

The instructor advised me to stay clear of drain covers on the circuit - went over one and felt like I'd just fallen out of a tree and hit the floor..

Nice metaphor :D Was it really that hard? Probably why it corners so well!

Nice metaphor :D Was it really that hard? Probably why it corners so well!

Yeah - it was REALLY firm. Though it's possible they'd adjusted the suspension to make it as good on the track as possible rather than making it road friendly!

It was an epic car... I'd love to go back and drive it again! Supercar performance, Golf GTI price! :)

I didn't drive it cause I was 1) too chicken 2) wanted to experience it really motoring but when Kip had his birthday supercar (6th gear) experiance I had a driven double lap in a Murcielago LP640.

The driver (can't remember his name but a known name to those that follow UK racing) kept asking if I was OK thinking I would be a terrified wreck as he threw it round the track.

Awesome stuff and I would recomend 6th gear to anyone (and booked it on Jims review of the few companies he's used). York is not as good as a bespoke track but it was still a superb day... OK hour.. it goes so quick

We've got a used Atom for sale at the minute and I had to take it out as part of the mechanical checks we do on every car. OMG what an absolute weapon of a car. Hard to use its full potential on the public roads but the acceleration is brutal, the noise is addictive and the handling is like nothing I've ever driven before. You do get some funny looks driving down the M6 in it though I must admit!