timmaaah

Difficulty changing gear under very hard acceleration

My vr changes gear absolutely fine under light or medium acceleration, but under very hard acceleration the gear selection between 2nd and 3rd and 3rd to 4th becomes very very hard to do - there's lots of resistance when trying to get in in the slot!

Any ideas as to what this may be? I'm wondering if the gearbox engine mount/other mounts are goosed?

Cheers

Have a read of the 9 page "Annoying off throttle jerk" thread. It's related :D

New mounts to be ordered then ^_^

What's the best to get?

Earlier this year I replaced all three of my mounts and it vastly improved my gear change. I used oem mounts. Sorry can't comment on whether these are better or worse than aftermarket mounts though.

I think OEM is best. Just don't waste your money on GSF/ECP pattern ones, I tried them on my old corrado and they were crap!

A lot of folks around here will recommend the solid mk3 GB mount instead of the original oil-filled mount as used on the Corrado. I can't comment on the handling difference (the old mount was shot, so it's impossible to compare!), but I can tell you that there is a small increase in gearbox whine transmitted to the cabin if you go that route. You'd get used to it, it's not massive but just be aware.

There is a guy on this forum that got hold of polly inserts to go in your front and rear mounts. He has sold loads of them and got good feedback. You keep the outer shell and drop the polly in. The kit comes with new bolts and washers and there is a thread for it. I will bump the thread up now. I got a set but it's still sat in garage to do over winter. It was something like £65 for them, so you would only need a gearbox one then.

It's been bumped bud. If your not sure as I wasn't, have a read on the hole lot, it helped convince me.

The guy with the mounts is 24V Renshaw

Edited by Human Joist

A lot of folks around here will recommend the solid mk3 GB mount instead of the original oil-filled mount as used on the Corrado. I can't comment on the handling difference (the old mount was shot, so it's impossible to compare!), but I can tell you that there is a small increase in gearbox whine transmitted to the cabin if you go that route. You'd get used to it, it's not massive but just be aware.

Dr, any idea when the whine would be most evident? I've just had my gb rebuilt with a 3.68 fd. The guy left most of the bearings as he said they were fine. I also changed the gb mount for a solid rubber Golf one. There is a whine- very noticeable from 3k onwards in first gear. Barely notice it at all in 2nd and not at all in the others. Anything to worry about? He's offered to fit the bearings with no labour charge, but it's huge hassle to remove the box again...

Re: Jay's poly mounts- bargain and just as good as VT mounts IMHO. The extra vibration is negligable. £75 for a standard mount is crazy! They were £35 last year. A VT is the same price!

Standard VR gearbox mount used to be even more than that, I'm sure that's come down ..

I don't really remember where the whine is most evident now, I've obviously totally got used to it (it was over four years ago!). I've not driven other VRs so can't remember the difference any more..