guildmage

wipers mechanism/motor issue

Hi,

Something happened to my wipers today: I started my car and used my wipers (slowest setting) to remove morning water out of the windshield. It moved one way (right) fine, but on return wipers got stuck (let's say 10-15cm) from where they should be parked. Also wiper motor was making this horrible "grinding-like" noise.

Jumped out of the car, and helped the wipers a bit. Wipers go back to parked position and noise also stopped. Tried few more times using wipers and all was fine. Without thinking much about it, set off to work. Used wipers few times on my way - but then on 5th or 6th time issue reappear! Wipers stuck in same place and horrible noise coming from under the bonnet! Stopped the car and helped the wipers again... Arrived work and well, this is where I am now.

I can use wipers and it will most likely be fine for 3-4 times, but they will get stuck seemingly randomly. What the heck is going on? Someone had similar problem? is it just mechanism not greased properly? Any ideas?

Just to let you know I have uprated arms/blades from audi TT and never had problems with it in the past!

I get this if the screen is too dry for the blades. Could be the old motor isnt strong enough for the wipers. I simply spray the washer jets and it sorts it out.

So far checked that 13mm nut on both arms and it's as tight as it should be so don't think that could be the problem.

Issue developed further since morning. Before I could ran it on highest wiper settings and there was enough momentum for the wipers to work correctly. Now, it doesn't matter what wipe speed I select, it just get's stuck all the time.

I've made two videos to show you want I mean:

[video=youtube_share;64qFua1wqKk]

At first I though't it's problem with the mechanism (out of sync, or sth) but when blades not touching screen it's fine. So could it be just motor that just had enough... but it has been fine for 12+ months I was driving with uprated wipers.

[video=youtube_share;rD4mH3w4Mv0]

I need to sort this out ASAP as it's quite dangerous to drive without wipers. Could simple motor replacement fix this? If so, where I can get such motor anyone any ideas? Part number on my motor is: 1H0 955 119

ps. I still have OEM arms/blades I could swap ... but, you know would be nice to get the uprated ones sorted really ;)

The motor will be 15+ years old mate assuming its never been changed and the tt wipers do cling to the screen more than the standard ones. Im saying motor to be honest. Maybe worth taking the mechanism out and greasing it all up, also checking for any worn ball joints.

Obviously this things never happen on Friday so that you have weekend to sort it out. It actually always have to broke down on Monday.. grrr. I don't mind taking it all apart and even get a new motor if it's going to fix it, but meanwhile I have no choice than to drive without wipers. It's, a scary experience I have to say. On my way from work (tonight) was just a super light rain and it was a visibility nightmare! I have rainx all over my windshield but it doesn't really work in city driving.

I loved my wipers so much, it's strange how easy you take simple things for granted. I also have a lot of driving to do in the morning tomorrow.. I'm considering putting old wipers in place for time being.. who knows it may be fine (will buy me some time to source a new motor).

Speaking of, any ideas where to hunt for new wiper motor? ebay prices seem incredible at times? I'm always terrible at sourcing parts.

edit: After swapping back to OEM arms/blades there are no problems at all! I can use wipers on slowest/quickest setting and all is as should be. You think getting a new motor would help then (with uprated ones)? Sorry to be pain in the neck...

Edited by guildmage

Once when picking the gf up from leeds centre the arm connecting the motor to the mechanism came off (worn ball joint) and i had to have the gf hanging out the window moving the wipers until we got so close to home and i got my dad to bring me some string lol. We ended up laughing about it.

Hehe, funny you said that. As I took spatula, from kitchen , to my car. This was supposed to extend my arm in case I'm gonna have to help the wipers while driving! It's driving me mad this! Been driving to see customer today in Bradford and had to use wipers. Even with OEM ones back in place it stopped working! I'm basically desperate to get new motor, made a Wanted thread about it. But if I'm gonna buy second hand it is also going to be 15+ years old surely? New ones are either obsolete or cost like £100! I'm totally stuck and a bit irritated, but hey ho... have also a bad day at work.

I'm wondering what other sorts of motor might fit in there, mine broke once and replaced with a 2nd hand one but can see it happening again

I'm wondering what other sorts of motor might fit in there, mine broke once and replaced with a 2nd hand one but can see it happening again

Im now wondering this too.

On my wanted thread Jim posted this:

http://www.vwsonline.co.uk/car_parts_bristol/vw/golf/golf3/electrical/front-wiper-motor-golf-3-vento-golf-4-bora-01-passat.html

Anyway, I am sorted as it seems, should have motor and assembly by Friday. Was thinking about as to why my motor would fail this year... and it has been used almost every day this year, as it was raining all the time in Leeds starting from early April... so maybe that's why. I can hardly remember using wipers so often last year!

Hehe, today was a light rain so I had no choice than to use kitchen spatula to help me use the wipers. It was a nightmare and right embarrassment when trying to force wipers to go back while driving. I'm sure other drivers thought I'm crazy... well maybe I am.

Last night I've looked into mechanism and all looks OK so it has to be the motor. Just need to survive till Friday somehow... or finally get a second car. But I'm afraid the moment I'll buy a second car, Corrado will see less and less of driving, and that is not the reason I bought it in first place.

Hehe, today was a light rain so I had no choice than to use kitchen spatula to help me use the wipers. It was a nightmare and right embarrassment when trying to force wipers to go back while driving. I'm sure other drivers thought I'm crazy... well maybe I am.

Last night I've looked into mechanism and all looks OK so it has to be the motor. Just need to survive till Friday somehow... or finally get a second car. But I'm afraid the moment I'll buy a second car, Corrado will see less and less of driving, and that is not the reason I bought it in first place.

Hi did this problem turn out to be the motor?I’m having exactly the same problem and was about to order a new motor if that’s what the problem was.

Thanks