Sign in to follow this  
coullstar

Koni Suspenion

When I was swapping over my wheels in the pissing rain yesterday I noticed that I have koni (yellow) dampers on the back with progressive springs with standard on the front. However the car does not seem lower at all at the back.

What springs do you get with Koni kits if there is such a thing?

I will probably get front ones to match now but where is the cheapest place to get them?

progressive springs??? what are they?

i have yellow koni dampers with koni 40mm lowering springs, the springs are a dark maroon in colour

did your dampers have notches on them so you can adjust the height of the rear?

if that is a pic of your car in your avatar, it looks pretty low at the rear but high at the front

HTH

Progressive wound springs increase in stiffness as the load applied to them increases. This means that they are not stiff and harsh when cruising around town but are nice and firm when you lean on them round a corner. The coils that are closer together are "softer" and compress first. Once these have compressed the stiffer wider spaced coils take over. This can be seen when you lower the car onto the ground after jacking as the coils at each end of the spring close up before the middle ones move.

Didnt really look that close at the shocks. I am going to bin the springs anyway as I hate standard ride height on cars. If the car is lower at the back its only by 10-15mm.

I have a set of old Eibach Golf 16v springs that i tried on my 8v Golf which ended up really low at the back and only just slightly lower at the front. Will these fit my Raddo? Tthe suspension seems almost identical to the Golf.

The springs should fit but will not be the right poundage for your car. However Im not sure if this will give you any major problems.

As for the rear being low, make sure you get new bump stops and trim off the amount the new springs will lower buy. If you dont trim off the difference the new springs lower the car by the rear will bounce off the bump stop when going over bumps etc. And if you use your old knackered bump stops then the rear end will sage down like you have a heavy load in the boot.

They should"fit" but the spring rates will be all wrong as the golf is about 150kg ligher than your Corrado. I would get a set of springs that are specifically designed for a Corrado, and do not forget to get the camber properly reset after lowering the car. A full set shouldn't be more than £100. I got a full G-max set up (springs and shocks) for £220 from C&R at inters last year and would recommend it as a cost effective upgrade. It is a good compromise between comfort and firmness and is well up to the odd track day.

i just got finished swapping out springs from my corrado that were designed for a mk2, they were absolute rubbish on my car. Had they been on a mk2 they would have been acceptable, but as the corrado weighs more than the mk2, the spring rate was no where near stiff enough to handle the wieght of the corrado. I replaced them with some very high rate springs from a mk3 VR6 and i liove the ride now. The springs are h&r 800lb front/550 lb rear, just a lil stiff but suits my taste just fine.

psykokid - the roads must be smooooth were you drive...

On the progressive springs topic mentioned earlier in this thread:

The standard springs on a C are progressive rate items. This is achieved by reducing the diameter of the spring at one end while keeping the pitch of the spring constant. The change in the pitch of the coils found on lowering springs are not progressive - they are a completely different spring rate designed to be fully compressed when the weight of the car is on them so that the car sits lower.

psykokid - the roads must be smooooth were you drive...

no, actually they're quite bad for the most part. its one of those ride comfort/increased handling tradeoffs.. plus i have the wifeys MK3 Vento to drive if i need something cushy..

Reeeeeeeesult!!!! I just checked the Eibach website and cross referenced the part number 8513001 VA and 8513002HA for the springs I have and guess what, they are the correct ones for the Raddo. I do remember fitting them to the Golf and thinking they were a bit stiff.

Do they sit level when fitted?

Interestingly they reckon the Raddo is 30kg lighter on the rear end than the Golf 16v. Axle weights are:

Corrado - 950kg/710kg

Golf 16v -840kg/740kg

UPDATE:

Well I looked at the Koni's and by feck they are expensive. I realise you get what you pay for but I cannot afford anything like that for shock so I have ordered 2x Gmax dampers. I did a search and found a company called Larkspeed (bit max poo looking) but I have the 2 delivered to my door for £79. Not to bad I thought.