coullstar

Protecting Coilovers

I was just wondering what techniques people use to protect their coilovers from dirt and corrosion. Ive used motorcycle chain wax spray in the past and it seems to work but Im interested in other techniques. More the corrosion prevention than dirt to be honest.

Some sort of spray coating? CV grease and tape maybe? We have this product in work called Denso tape that would be good for lower portion but hard to apply to that contained with the spring. I dont care about asthetics.

When i get new coilovers im going to get my friends bird to sew me up some sleeves with velcro on just the same as what a mororbike has on the forks or like the cover on the handle bars

Ive got some acf-50 anti corrosion paint from Ebay coming for my new coilovers.

Looks just the job, clear like laquer , read some good indipendant reports about it and because it dries there is less chance of all the muck sticking to it.

Paul

Edited by winchbietch

Ive got some acf-50 anti corrosion paint from Ebay coming for my new coilovers.

Looks just the job, read some good reports about it and because it dries there is less chance of all the muck sticking to it.

Paul

Sounds good man, could you report back with your results? I could be interested in some myself.

Paul. :-)

Will do.

i bought the koni coilovers for sale on here the other week, they had quite a bit of surface rust and tarnish but a work over with autosol made them like new.

[ATTACH]70774[/ATTACH]

I plan to shoot clear waxoil in the front brackets that locate them to the hubs, lithium grease the threads when i assemble them and acf-50 the entire units a few times before fitment.

Are decent covers not the best way forward? If the material they are made from is prone (open) to corrosion, it's unlikely to make much difference how much crap you coat them in. At least if they're covered, they should get some protection from salt, grit and general road crap.

I see the argument for either route, my thoughts are

spray protection to slow / prevent corrosion.

Easy to clean / visually check / top up protection

A boot covering the coilover to protect it from dirt / corrosion.

It traps moisture / dirt under the cover and still corrodes

Needs to be removed to clean behind it regulary.

I have seen boot style covers on various 4x4 aplications over the years and generally speaking the suspension is in poorer condition than being left open to the elements.

Well Im going for denso on lower threads and chain wax on upper section. I know what you mean about buying ones that dont corroade but this is for the audi so we are speaking £1k+, if protected these will be just fine.

PTFE tape on the lower section threads/body? I always use LM Grease on other parts, plenty slapped on. My konigsports look like near new after 3 years. Just wipe all the grease off to reveal original finish.:cool:

When i get new coilovers im going to get my friends bird to sew me up some sleeves with velcro on just the same as what a mororbike has on the forks or like the cover on the handle bars

Was thinking the same thing but with a zip instead. But i suppose velcro would work jsut as well too. She could have a little business there..

Put me down for a set :lol:

You can buy coilover socks though cant you. But need putting on before the coils go on the car.

Though my KWs have been on the car for 3 years and although dirty and gritty, wipe that away and they're still all silver underneath. Inox FTW.

Edited by Critical_Mass

I dont think they would work that well, those bike ones are there just to keep dirt out od the piston seals are they are quite exposed on bikes. You would need a good seal at either end and with the material as well. A proper water tight barrier is what is required.

My thought was to maybe grease them all up and then put a cover on to keep away the road grim an water a bit i suppose a matariel with water resistance would be a good start and it all goes towards keeping the car clean

I have had a lot of experience useing Denso tape at sea as a commercial fisherman protecting joints/pipes/threads whatever and you cant beat it really for protection against the elements, it's quite easy to use, just wrap it on forget about it, it should stay on and last for as long as you need it to and when you do remove it everything is as good as the day it went on fantastic stuff.