nipper09

993 v vr6 dilemma!!!

thanx for all the responses, much taken in

think i will start to go and view drive a couple in the new year

its a hell of an itch that just has to be scratched

cheers paul

Reading this thread from 2012 and the poster was on about buying a 993 and his budget was 15 k - 8 years later for a manual they are now 45k plus. Last of the air cooled 911 was always going to make it a wise bet. If you read user rodmax post on thread he had a cup challenge one that would be a 150 k car now if he still owns it and kept the parts he took off it to convert to the road. 

One sold at auction a few days back. 

https://www.coys.co.uk/cars/1996-porsche-993-cup-3-8   186.000 euro sold a few days back at auction. Would of paid his mortgage off. 

Edited by Keyo

The 993 is in my top 3. Absolutely love them, S2 turbo with a whale tail and I go weak at the knees! Lol. Don't think 15k would have cut it even in 2012, the cheapest I've seen in the last 5 years or so was about 45k, and that was some time ago! 

Just now, seanl82 said:

The 993 is in my top 3. Absolutely love them, S2 turbo with a whale tail and I go weak at the knees! Lol. Don't think 15k would have cut it even in 2012, the cheapest I've seen in the last 5 years or so was about 45k, and that was some time ago! 

Yeah I think his budget was to low back then to be fair - might of got him in a tiptronic. A 993 turbo in midnight blue would be a dream or a red 964 for me also - well missed the boat on that one- had a chance to buy one in 2004 964 c2 white with blue leather - oh well they were very unloved then !

8 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Yeah I think his budget was to low back then to be fair - might of got him in a tiptronic. A 993 turbo in midnight blue would be a dream or a red 964 for me also - well missed the boat on that one- had a chance to buy one in 2004 964 c2 white with blue leather - oh well they were very unloved then !

Yeah I love the 964 too. Think it's the wraparound rear light strip that I like so much which is common on both. I remember as a kid, my Grandads mate had one and took me out for a spin. The butterflies in my stomach as he accelerated had me hooked then! Lol

993 Carrera 4S (those hips/rear view) in zenith blue with a cashmere interior is my dream car this side of a McLaren F1 (though also wouldn't turn down a Ferrari F355 GTS Manuel). The Corrado VR6, for me, has always shared a few character traits with the 993 Porker: The conservative but practical germanic build style, little trick spoiler, heavy engine in the wrong place!, sunroof (getting tenuous now) and a certain character that is hard to quantify. 

993 my ultimate porsche just the right size - unlike todays 911 which are huge in comparison 

Many years ago i spoke to a porsche fanatic who was having to give up ownership due to marriage and children told me that if you get the chance to buy one take it as you will not regret it if you are into fast cars (dont know if that true about the 996 or early 997 though)

Midnight blue turbo s with black leather interior would be my top pick .  993 last of the water cooled and 997 last of the analogue and a great driving car and still relatively classic 911 size compared to the latest two marks-  I have to admit something I not long got one for a song - sold the Mk7 and only had to make up a couple K to get hold of a very clean motor indeed (997.1 C2 - meteor grey - black leather - 72K-  Carrera classic 19 alloys made by BBS-  Alcantara factory headlining- extended leather pack- electric seats- HPI clear-  purchased at the lowest curve value and the golf would of lost 3- 4 k in the next 12 months so no brainer- got the cylinders boroscoped to a healthy thumbs up and car has never been used in bad weather all silver underneath - not long had a major service (every 4 years) sparks- pulley belts- etc and new clutch and ims seal by last owner . Did knock the seller down a fair few k  with some chin rubbing and  sighs to be honest but car is on its original suspension so will need refreshing and one shock has a leak  .  Also had a rev range test and the car has no numbers in the red so had some very good owners indeed. Always a good sign when you see some Michelin pilot sports on a car. Didn't want a 3.8 s or 4s model as awd and also many more times likely to bore score due to the smaller coolant channels of the larger cylinders.  For me a 911 has to be rear wheel drive . Would of loved a guards red one or Midnight blue but this car just ticked too many boxes and now really happy with the colour. 

Grey one is the same spec as mine have not taken any photos of her yet. 

993.jpg

9971.jpg

Edited by Keyo