Hofmiester

Ron's Blackberry VR6 - A11 VRX - Getting her back on the road

I was only kidding about the turbo Ron and you go and get a big bloody charger the way thing's are going on here I'll have to turbo mine to keep up :lol: I seriously would like a passenger seat view when your done matey good on you :thumbleft:

A bit more you certainly will have with that bad boy strapped to the side of the engine only issue might be traction you may need an LSD or have you taken this into account? You will enjoy the boost in power :D

Busy weekend tidying her up. Firstly replaced the scratched passenger window and the offending (bent like a banana) window seal.

The scratch was really bad

nu8ebany.jpg

I also continued with felt lining the mating surfaces of the door car, I did this on the drivers side a couple of months back and it's totally silent.

Also as I remove panels, I've been treating the insides to VW cavity wax in the hope to make the car last forever. It's pricey at £17 a can but is very good, super fluid and then sets very thick.

ahypenev.jpg

While I was at it I also removed the rear hatch plastics to treat the inside as we'll and the refit the plastics with felt padding to stop it squeaking!

3upygysu.jpg

The wax eventually started oozing out of the corners.

I also greased up all the window mechanicals with silicone lube.

Gotten around to stripping the manky sound deadening from under the bonnet. It was literally just crumbling off all over.

Top tip...put a sheet over the engine bay to catch the crap

jedyvuju.jpg

Stripped the remaining glue with Tardis glue remover but actually could have just left it in hind sight as I only went and spayed more glue on and then covered it up.......waste of 30 mins!

u3eve5aj.jpg

All done, need to crack on with fitting the supercharger! ;)

Moved house and now have loads of room for Corrado tinkering!

me3u9y9a.jpg

Only problem is that new house means no time for Corrado tinkering :(

Cheers, I wanted something that looked OEM but in a 16" these we're a good fit and light too!

I've got 205/45/16 Eagle F1s on them

If you look back through my gallery thread there are quite a few more, plus a link to the picture that inspired me on these wheels too.

So, after the house move a few weeks back, I've finally had a chance to turn my attention to getting my Vortech charger fitted.

Now I bought this charger as an incomplete kit, I am told the charger has covered less than 5k and was originally on a 24v mk4 in the US. The Mk4 owner decided to go rotrex. So this kit was imported over for a Mk3 vr6 project that never happened. I saw the car still in bits when I picked it up.

This meant that I've got to source or fabricate everything apart from the charger, brackets and oil feeds!

To my dismay, Vf engineering are not very helpful and I almost bailed on this project, but by scouring the Internet for many hours, I think I've figured it out!

Also the guys at fourseasons tuning we're very helpful and sent me the instructions. Vince at Stealth was also awesome and advised me. Had help with photos from a number of C forum and VR6oc members.

Here we go, big pile of parts

gegumumy.jpg

I'm going to have the charge pipe fabricated out of ALU pipe but the intake can be silicone as not under boost. I can sort that out my self.

First thing is to remove the intake tract from the car and remove (to relocate) the charcoal canister so that the intake pipe can pass through the hole.

7abe7yqe.jpg

y3uha3a2.jpg

Then I test mounted up the charger, so far so good. It fits at least!

y2e7ugyq.jpg

Ok now that I know it fits, time to start making pipe work. I've already fitted a 63mm T piece to mount the DV in and to join on the charge pipe.

7a8anuje.jpg

For the intake elbow to the charger I went for a 90mm into 80mm reducing elbow. The hole from the canister is not big enough for 90mm and also the MAF is 80mm so makes sense to reduce here.

dapy6y4u.jpg

It fits really well, I had heard that folks had trouble with the Hard VF made pipe but silicone works great.

Next step is to join the DV outlet to the intake elbow. I did this with a self sealing connector from Revotec. This one was mentioned by the Baconator in the FI thread and works great. You just punch a hole with the supplied cutter and screw in from both sides.

Inside:

e2erazyt.jpg

And now I'm able to join the DV outlet into the intake.

ra5u2yba.jpg

Then I measure up a piece of 80mm ALU pipe with a 45 degree bend and cut to size. Also then adding a silicone joiner for the MAF.

uzyhaqyb.jpg

Next step is to make a small spacer for the bracket as the belt alignment looks to be a little out. Plus the bracket is touching the fuel lines.

he7ybysu.jpg

Edited by Hofmiester

Good stuff Ron get this bugger sorted cos next time i see you i totally expect a passenger seat ride :thumbleft:

Good work, will this be a stage 1? What charger unit is that? If interested I have a spare Mocal Oil cooler going for cheap - no hoses or sandwich plate though, just the cooler itself...

Nick

Cheers James, I should be done in a week or so and you are welcome for a ride.

Nick, it is stage 1 on a Vortech V9, which should be good for 250-260bhp.

Good thing with the V9 is that it will run on stock compression and less traction issues as the power build is linear (belt drive)

Already got the cooler kit mate but thanks for the offer

Ron

Sounds good, no doubt you'll be greedy for the Stage 2 soon after though! I'm running a Vortech V1 Stage 2... with standard brakes! :nuts:

Haha I have been warned that I'll want stage 2. Charger came with a stage 1 pulley and as I'm having to build most of the kit myself, I figured I would get the basics sorted first ;)

Last night I got the carbon canister relocated, MAF wiring extended (properly soldered, no crappy bullet clips)

Routed the belt, seems to fit well. I'm using the standard AC belt. Strangely some people seem to have an extra idler bracket that support the belt where the AC compressor would be. Having fitted the belt, it doesn't look like I need it?

8uqydugy.jpg

e3ygedyz.jpg

Almost done, just need to get the charge pipe made and the sump with the oil return fitting sorted.

Typical corrado situation. I'm also taking the car to Leeds for the VW show on Sunday. So wanted to do a little body work as I had a small 1cm by 3cm hole brewing at the bottom of my passenger arch.

Figured I would clean it up, apply POR-15 and then patch and paint.

However once I started sanding, I found this beauty, some one already beat me too it :(

6agenave.jpg

And then once I started picking away at it.

ynu3ebup.jpg

Looks like someone has used the end of a Tin can, formed it into shape and then stuck it in the hole with filler and painted over it up to the sill line with a rattle can.

If the previous owner who did this is on here (most of its owners were club members)

.......Thanks for that!

So I got the old Dremmel out and cut all the rot away, leaving me with this, not too bad!

by9enu7a.jpg

Looks like that front end respray is going to get done sooner than I had planned :(

Body shop say they can weld a new bit to the bottom and it will be like new.

Luckily the other wing seems to be fine, no patches or rust.

She's over at MB Motorsport today to have the charge pipe fabricated this week. Also might fabricate the idler bracket if we need it.

Should all be done for the weekend I hope :)

Also got it booked into Walter Bell Coachworks in 3 weeks time to have the wing repaired and respray done. Got a new grill and a few other choice bits like 70mm spoonfed front spoiler.

So looking forward tot he end of the month when hopefully all is ready.

this has made an intresting read in my lunch break at work, looking forward to seeing finished car

this has made an intresting read in my lunch break at work, looking forward to seeing finished car

Cheers Andy, it is getting close to the standard I wanted it to be. Will get some proper pics once the bodywork has been done as all the pictures in this thread are from I-Phone. When you look at Mookie's original thread on page 1, he used an SLR and the paint really shows it's true quality.