Goldie

Bonnet Cable snapped - Questions...

I know this is a common problem and i have used the search to get me to this stage..

So, basically, it went, great.. Managed to remove the grill and get the bonnet open so access is fine..

Spoke to VW today and tried to order everything associated and this is what i have ended up with. The guy wouldn't give part numbers over the phone even though i had just paid for them, new policy apparently...

So, on way..

Cable, from handle to left hand lever.

Gromits

Connection for handle to cable

Connection for cable to existing cable (I'm assuming this means cable from right to left on front of car)

So, what else would i need if i wanted to change everything?

Next question.

Where the cable arrives on the passenger side, top edge of radiator beneath the elbow there is a piece of metal which is rotten, is this part of the cable as well?

If anyone has any picture of all the parts that would be great or any other info would be nice..

On a side note, price up a Heater Matrix - 150 quid....

Heater matrix Iam sure is about £30 pounds from GSF make sure you ask for the Valeo branded one I think that is the OEM part used on the corrado. Seeing you are a corrado GB member from your signature if you show them your corrado GB membership card there is an additional 10 percent discount off when I bought mine last time.

Think the most important piece is the trumpet shaped metal part at the passenger side there is a nut that holds the cable end in place. Dont think you can buy this part anymore its separate to the cable . All the other bits I think you can use from your existing cable and move onto the new cable like the gromits and the foam paddings.

Edited by VWVW

as above really Michael, if you need a matrix then we sell the oem version which can either be hella or valeo, have fitted both to some of my previous cars and never had an issue, identical to the dealer part just without the vw stamp and horrific price tag.

Are you talking about the metal arm which the trumpet shaped metal fits into ? If so you will have to get it welded back on . Rob

Metal arm? What's that bit? The metal but with the hole that the trumpet sits into us a spring that clips into the slam panel.

yea it just the same as a bike brake cable, so you can use the outer cable and cable ferrals {brass outer cable caps}also barrel adjusters so you can fine tune the cable tension,

Metal arm? What's that bit? The metal but with the hole that the trumpet sits into us a spring that clips into the slam panel.

Just done robster r32's with him , on the passenger side , on the slam panel there is a small d shape with a hole in it [ i call it an arm lol]

Ah right :-)

Also used the brake cable method on my daily and is probably a lot better than the standard one :-)

Wouldn't do it on the VR though lol

Spoke to VW today and tried to order everything associated and this is what i have ended up with. The guy wouldn't give part numbers over the phone even though i had just paid for them, new policy apparently...

Honestly.. I swear to god VW want to do everything to alienate customers who drive old examples of their cars. What the f@ck kind of bat-**** policy is that?! Tell him you have a friend with ETKA so you can look up the part numbers yourself ;)

Jim, I think it's just the staff you can end up with. Some are excellent though as mine is and he even delivers it to work for me free.

It wouldn't surprise me if that, was just something the cock on the phone said just cuz he can :-)

The metal bit bits ob slam panel rust and bend. I think thats what caused my problems.

As my slam panel is off the car I was looking at these at the weekend and wondering if they can be removed, cleaned and painted?

interesting, i tried to get a new bonnet cable from VW last week and they couldnt get me one said is what obsolete??? Can u post up the part number when it arrives please??

cheers Mart

Ill share the part numbers when i get the receipt, no problem..

I thought it was a bit off about the numbers, the dealer i use is generally spot on..

Ill put a picture up of the metal bit I'm talking about shortly..

As above, not sure if you can still get them mate but that'll come off and clean up a bit anyway. It's to hold the Radiator in place and is like a rubber mounting bush.

Once the bolt is removed give the whole rubber bit a twist and it'll work it's way out.

You may also need to squirt a bit of WD on the bit that slots into the top of the rad to get it free as they fuse in.

Kip ;)

Removed the bracket today, i thought it was connected to the cable, live and learn..

Ill take it to work tomorrow and give it some treatment but I'm hoping i can get a new one..

As expected the radiator brackets are obsolete.. Fully cleaned up at work so now i need to think about the best coating option..

Collected the cable today, not a lot for 50 quid...

Ill get the part numbers and some pics of the bits tomorrow...