paddy26

Fuel pump opinions for 20v conversion - 16v tank

I'm looking for options on what fuel pump to use for my 20v conversion.

The car was originally a 16v with the in tank and external pump.

The fuel pump assembly under the car is in bad shape so I would like to replace it.

I dont think the single g60 pump will work with the 16v tank and I'm not aware of another in-tank pump which is strong enough to feed the 20v without using an external pump as well.

I think the easiest/cheapest option is to use the in tank pump to feed an aftermarket inline pump(mounted to a new bracket), and do away with the the entire original pump assembly under the car.

I'll be making up new fuel lines anyway so connections won't be an issue.

I'll also be fitting a fuel filter.

Are there any other options?

Can anyone see any problems with the setup above?

The car is back from paint so I'll hopefully get a build thread started shortly.

/Paddy

The in tank pump hole is larger on g60 single pump type I believe so I don't think it'll work unless you get a g60 fuel tank. What 20v you using? Heard people using 16v twin pump on lower powered 20v without any problems as excess pressure is bled off by the fpr but there is debate on how much it flows.

As the 16v pumps are getting old now it would be best to replace it with a more updated one. G60 or vr6 pump in g60 tank is your best bet as they have the added bonus of having a swirl pot incorporated.

My g60 is still good and I'm running close to 300 bhp mark

Thanks dannyboy.

Engine is remapped AUQ. ~215BHP

I don't want to have to source a g60 tank as this will add to the cost. Not sure I'd find one in Ireland either.

I will still have to source a pump so I may as well get one that will work with the 16v tank I have.

Is a swirl pot needed for all external pumps?

I was looking at this pump:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160935741316?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

/Paddy

I have a 20vt conversion,mines running a BAM engine on standalone(270ish)

Mine was originally a 16v,all I've done is renewed both pumps !

That was well over 20k ago

I recently did a 20vt conversion, I'm just using the original Kjet in tank lift & external under car pump and it works fine, that's feeding a 4 bar FPR with saab red top injectors, it's AGU making 261 BHP and doesn't miss a beat. The only mod I've done fueling wise is to do away with the accumulator on the external pump as it's not needed for 20VT.

Thanks for all the help.

I'm going to make a new mounting bracket for the external pump/filter. My one is all broken up anyway.

This weekend i'll see if i can clean up the original pump enough to get new hose fittings onto it. i'll also remove the accumulator.

If that fails i'll order a universal external pump.

\Paddy