Sign in to follow this  
VW Corrado 16V

tyre sizes

Why the front one of my Corrado (1.8i 16V) must be 185/55 VR15 and the second 195/50 VR15? This must be the original sizes? What's this 81V and 82V? (when you open the left door you see them - about sizes)

You can use either 185/55 or 195/50 as long as you use one or the other and don't mix sizes. Most people use 195/50 because they are a more common size and therefore easier to get and generally cheaper. The 81V and 82V are speed ratings. If you buy a decent make of tyre you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Why the front one of my Corrado (1.8i 16V) must be 185/55 VR15 and the second 195/50 VR15? This must be the original sizes? What's this 81V and 82V? (when you open the left door you see them - about sizes)

pretty sure the reference to the 195's will be for the optional BBS rims.....cos i know for sure that the sebrings were fitted with the 185/55's all round....thats at least on UK-market cars

Your car will have left the factory with 4 identical tyres

If your wheels are all the same, I would suggest that you use the same tyre sizes all the way round the car. It is essential that tyres on the same axle are identical in size & preferably the same make/tread pattern too. The reasons for this will become apparent during hard cornering and/or hard braking.

It is sometimes possible to fit different/wider wheels to the rear axle - many people do. These are accompanied by wider tyres but have no performance benefit on front wheel drive cars.

In the interests of safety - if all 4 wheels are identical, I would strongly suggest that all 4 tyres should be the same size. If you'd ever taken the car on a skid-pan or an old airfield, you'd understand why :?

Different tyre sizes will also invalidate your insurance if you have an accident (unless you have already informed them)

The "81V" is the weight rating. In general a wider tyre can support more weight. The VR6's 205/50/15 tyres are "86V". I'm not sure how that relates to actual number of kilos.. The "ZR" or "V" or "W" rating is the speed rating.

So my VR6's 205 50 ZR15s can still be 86V weight rated...

And I *have* seen people run wider tyres on the rear of their Corrados, but frankly.. It's a front wheel drive car, you do the maths...

Each to their own, but it's certainly not for performance or handling.

The VR actually puts around 400kg on each front wheel, so that 530kg limit above gives plenty of room for fat blokes in the front of the car.. :)

Interesting info that, though.