StueyB

VR6 Stainless Sump Bolts Kits - Gauging interest...?

After recently looking into the cost of replacing all my sump bolts as part of my VR6 rebuild, I was some what shocked to be quoted £1.24 a bolt after VAT.

For those that are interested, the VR6 sump has 26 M6 bolts holding it in. Quick bit of math gets you to £32.24, a figure I can't say I wanted to pay for bolts which I've rounded in the past despite best practices.

I'd started replacing various other bolts with stainless items so set about sourcing some suitable sump bolts.

I've managed to get my hands on some A2 Stainless M6x14 Socket Cap Heads which are pretty much perfect for the job and set about fitting them along with a new sump & oil pump this weekend [i say fit, hand over to my mechanic of a brother and instruct the replacement].

The result:

AFD95F32-4A18-40C0-AF0D-73ABEA36BD6E-5945-000005341224F2F9_zpse3e58ed5.jpg

95D0FC05-3ED9-4BCA-87FC-0E2276E4A0DC-5945-000005341F2D8E3A_zps16d60bd4.jpg

68BD02F0-BB8B-4456-85A4-92F9FB4D4C99-5945-00000534346DE2AF_zpsfb9791c8.jpg

21257486-EA28-454B-99F5-BCA2759BB61B-5945-00000534400720CC_zps28ccbdcb.jpg

[No Apple products were injured during the taking of these photographs]

Consequently I should now be able to supply a kit of 26 M6x14 A2 stainless bolts for your VR6 sump for around £8-9 posted.

Please register interest below and if there is reasonable interest, I'll get the ball rolling.

Any questions, feel free to post below.

Cheers, Stu

You need to fit washers with them or was that just a trial fitting?

Should of asked chap as I have a few hundred of these bolts sat on the shelf

Edited by swampy

Presumably the OE bolts don't come with washers either.. so why would these need washers swampy? (not that I don't believe you.. I genuinely want to know!) :)

Not having looked at the sump bolts but I suspect they are a flange head or have a floating washer built in to them.

No bolt should be fitted with out a washer , they help spread the load area of the bolt and in this case the area that is clamped, will only be by a few mm around the head of the bolt but it all helps

There are two types of OE bolts, long ones and short ones, My sump seemed to have a mix of the two (can't see much it makes much difference) but i swapped them all for new ones anyway.

100 bolts = £6.79inc post

100quantity Add to kart = £45.........

---------- Post added at 12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------

sorry, you're right, I'm wrong

100 bolts = £6.79inc post

That's not so bad, viewing from phone so didn't see it was for qty ten

That's not so bad, viewing from phone so didn't see it was for qty ten

I missed that too, sorry Bill

Then you have to factor in time to process, envelopes and postage I'd imagine a price if around £7 to be about right

Right, bit of number crunching tonight based on my supplier, I can do sets like the above for £7.50 posted.

---------- Post added at 9:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:28 PM ----------

Also I don't wanna step on anyone's toes supplying these, merely thought I'd offer an alternative to expensive new items.

When could I have a set as just order new sump and would make a nice touch....

Cheers

Rams

Can start an initial run pretty much asap, my supplier only had enough in stock for 5 kits so i'll begin with that.

As far as the washer query goes...? Standard bolts don't have washers, yes they are flange head allen bolts but i don't see why these tightened to the correct torque won't fit the bill.

1. Goldie

2. Dan_Storm

3. Benjevw

4. Dude VR6

5. Rams

If a mod could move this over to Group Buys, I'll get this rolling.

I will be watching this to see how the the first batch goes as i am looking to get a new sump for my R32 at some point and if these bolt's are compatible i will be looking to get a set i would rather buy from a fellow corrado owner than someone who is trying to hijack your idea.

James.

Can start an initial run pretty much asap, my supplier only had enough in stock for 5 kits so i'll begin with that.

As far as the washer query goes...? Standard bolts don't have washers, yes they are flange head allen bolts but i don't see why these tightened to the correct torque won't fit the bill.

1. Goldie

2. Dan_Storm

3. Benjevw

4. Dude VR6

5. Rams

If a mod could move this over to Group Buys, I'll get this rolling.

The flange head spreads the load just like the washer would do.

The use of a washer would replicate the flange head, so it's either use washers or supply flange head bolts

I think using washers would be the correct way with these bolts, quite a small head on them compared to the oem flange head

I think using washers would be the correct way with these bolts, quite a small head on them compared to the oem flange head

Thank you

Glad I'm not the only person who knows why certain specs are used or how to replicate them.

Happy to supply washers with these kits for interested parties.

I understand the theory behind using a washer to spread the load however the difference between the diameter of the 'washer' part of the flange bolt and the diameter of the head of the socket cap is so marginal I really can't see what difference it would make.

Ill gave a look into what washers I can find that will fit the sump setup as they will have to be sized according to available space around sump profile.