lard44

...but it's purple?!? VR6 content within...

So having lusted after a VR6 Corrado for some time (note my signup date is about 4 years before I even began posting) I scoured the 'net in the new year, looking for one. It had to be a VR6, and either aubergine/purple/whateveryouwanttocallit or nugget yellow. Given that my Mk2 Golf ABF was coming off the road I required something retro to hoon around in, so this seemed like the perfect moment.

I saw a few that looked like they'd been ragged or would have cost way above my budget to repair to a standard I was happy with, before finding one on eBay - a cursory Google check led me to this very forum...

21488f12-c115-4e0b-b00e-b4eeb6515dbc_zps2be9f706.jpg

Edited by lard44

It's a Blackberry- calling them purple tends to upset the purists! And my mate says mine is pink to wind me up...

That looks in good nick, welcome to Corrado ownership.

Yeah I know...I was quoting what the missus said to me when I showed it to her...

More pics to follow, having helluva trouble with Photobucket tonight...

Yeah I know...I was quoting what the missus said to me when I showed it to her...

Haha ye I realised it might be a missus quote after I posted it. Blackberry seems to go down well with the ladies for some reason though. We have an aubergine/purple theme in the living room, so I have been given permission to have an arty picture of the Corrado up in there to match it all! Result!

DSCN1047_zps58f38fe0.jpg?t=1362338528

The mileage was a little on the high side for me but I was tempted by the amount of history that was on offer - turns out that most of the car's 140+k miles were done in the first 10-odd years of its life, and it's only done a couple of thousand miles a year since.

The early 2013 snow put paid to more than one attempted visit, but fate and the Gods would be on my side and I finally got to take a look at the end of January. It didn't take long for me to realise that this was the car I wanted.

I put down a deposit one weekend, and picked it up at the start of the next from Surrey about 100 miles from myself.

Following my dad back in his E-Class I achieved a respectable 32mpg (according to the MFA) - although I can't say this has lasted.

Totally standard as far as I can tell (apart from the ugly 6x9s in the parcel shelf), had a respray on both sides not too long ago as well as a recent exhaust and a few other bits - I can't really fault her...yet!

Only had a couple of jobs done - most importantly a new thermostat as the old one was stuck open. Despite all the warnings and guides online I was confident enough to not have a spare 'stat housing to hand...and guess what gave with a crack when I was removing the hose clip? Cue a 2 mile walk back from the lockup and several grumpy phone calls - eventually sourcing one the next day from the dealership for a reasonable £18 all in.

Unfortunately the new stat (well, both of them - I bought a spare online) are rated to 80 degrees - a little lower than I would like. However when replacing the 'stat I noticed a non-standard lower rad pipe that wasn't sealing particularly well and occasionally dripped. Single drips bug the hell out of me so I managed to source an authentic VW pipe from a breaker and some heavy duty hose clips from Screwfix. A few driveway puddles and 3 eye flushes later (I'd just forked out £40 on G13 and distilled water - I wanted to get every drop back in - we were sorted and dry.

Sourced a new N/S front indicator from this forum as the old one was cracked...

DSCN1044_zpseca9da1c.jpg?t=1362336257

Other than that, 'new' stereo fitted (I now have a Sony tape deck going spare!)...

DSCN1050_zpsfaa04d67.jpg?t=1362337850

Present for myself from a recent trip to Wolfsburg...some DeutchesNummerPlateSurrounds...

DSCN1045_zps732baa23.jpg?t=1362337502

Sadly the rear one doesn't fit as the plate appears to be glued on, not screwed. Interesting.

Another Wolfsburg souvenir

DSCN1046_zpse983a034.jpg?t=1362338360

Who doesn't like a period nicknack? Sourced from another forum...

DSCN1049_zps70b06ca9.jpg?t=1362338778

I have no idea who saw fit to put these on the car - they're neither accurate nor necessary...and they're going in the bin when I can find some nail varnish remover...

DSCN1048_zps125597db.jpg

Mmmm...history...

DSCN1051_zps70015a81.jpg?t=1362339055

Barely run in

DSCN1052_zps0a3820f7.jpg

Whaaay? Stealth shelves FTW

DSCN1054_zpsf04d2c97.jpg?t=1362339268

Have sourced some 15" BBS wheels that need a light refurb and have to pick from my store of tyres - either 195.45.15 or 205.50.15 - to go on them. Also purchased some 40mm lowering springs although, with that splitter at the front, I'm not 100% confident. NEED to fill the arch gap though. Longer term I'd like to get some 16s (Borbet As are the dream), sort out some decent sounds and get the front bumper touched up - lot of chips need filling.

DAT ass...

DSCN1055_zpsa458a58a.jpg?t=1362339421

Spent today washing and waxing the 'fleet' so just another couple of gratuitous car pics andwhynot

The daily:

1.4 TFSI, picked up last September - and it's not brown - it's Mocha/Cappuccino/somethingthatisn'tbrown. Quiet, comfortable, sensible, keeps all it's fluids inside - you can see why I needed the 'Rado.

DSCN1056_zps2e75b2a2.jpg?t=1362339760

The summer car:

Bought from an enthusiast last Summer 'for the missus' - hopefully this will be seeing some action later this month. V. early Eunos import so it's a 1.8 with speakers in the headrests and tub thumpers where your kidneys are. Pointless. Great fun to drive, though. Just noticed the headlamp alignment looks off here...

DSCN1057_zps58910749.jpg?t=1362340060

What IS it with people and the wrong stickers? This is some sort of 1.8S MX-5 - NOT an Audi...

DSCN1058_zps238de57c.jpg

The Mk2 rolling project...

DSCN0595.jpg?t=1362340298

The Mk1 Cabby ABF project...definitely not rolling...

DSCN0563.jpg

The '71 1200 Beetle project...don't even ask...

IMG_0104.jpg

So that's me, my 'Rado and my life in a nutshell...comments welcome!

Nice little fleet, C looks good. You must love spending time in the garage, with that lot !

Yeah I'm really lucky to have found a lockup that's cheap and only 2 miles up the road...currently storing the mk1 and 2 Golfs and a T2 Bay up there...especially with Summer around the corner it's a lovely escape...

Nice collection. One thing though, don't use nail varnish remover to get that V6 badge off(!) - Autoglym intensive tar remover will do the job admirably and is much kinder to your paint work....

Mark

Nice collection. One thing though, don't use nail varnish remover to get that V6 badge off(!) - Autoglym intensive tar remover will do the job admirably and is much kinder to your paint work....

Mark

Cheers for the heads up, pretty sure I have some of that in the garage...

Buce collection of cars there mate id love the bug id have to lower it a bit though but its still nice , corrado looks lovely and clean , theres something about a nice clean standard corrado on its origional speedlines that always makes me wish i could leave mine alone for two seconds lol

Well look what I found in the lockup...

65045f66-10a9-4ea4-8169-7e0569b619d9_zps26ee91d4.jpg?t=1362518110

...and what I picked up from eBay...

$(KGrHqQOKnME2di!FlERBNw9Zc3N,w~~_12.JPG

Now if I can just figure out how to wire the things...need to get hold of a 5bar sender and t-piece...can I just piggyback the wire from the MFA oil temp sender?

I know having two oil temp gauges is totally unnecessary, but they've been kicking around for a couple of years so I may as well use them if it's easy enough to do so...

love the raddo i bought one the same color back in october also love the do not stroke ! i have them as well from my trip to wolfsburg last june :)

Another Blackberry owner here, I actually looked at your car when it was for sale at the end of last year.

Ended up buying the one I have now as it had leather.

Nice car!

---------- Post added at 1:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:01 PM ----------

Another Blackberry owner here, I actually looked at your car when it was for sale at the end of last year.

Ended up buying the one I have now as it had leather.

Nice car!

And my mate says mine is pink to wind me up...

Ha ha a couple of my friends do that to me too!!! lol