sankysvr6

Sanky's G60

Very nice car, and you have made it look so much better, changing some tired parts inside out.

Well done.

Cheers,

Redfox.

Time for a little update, as its been awhile.

Took the Corrado to GTI International, which was the first proper long run after the rebuild of the supercharger.

309001AA-9D1C-445E-808F-1A7F194F2F7D_zpsdzwovruq.jpg

Show was okay, but the weather was excellent.

After travelling to Inters and back it seemed that car had gone through quite a lot of fuel, especially with just normal driving.

So the first thing i checked was the condition of the spark plugs.

B5715A76-E342-4E48-B2A0-C99863ACDFFC_zpscmrsmzj9.jpg

A238F997-62CD-41F0-AD64-C0993BD3C170_zpslbif5w3g.jpg

All four was bad as this, and I think its fair to say its burning quite rich. As I had already been told by the guys at Jabbabsport that O2 sensor was on its way out, thought best start with this.

Cleaned up the spark plugs and re fitted and fitted a brand new Bosch O2 sensor from ECP. Had the CO checked at the MOT place, and they said the CO has gone down. Just need to take it out on a good run and check the plugs again/

Whilst still in the summer of 2013, I cleaned out the rear arches.

57F186F9-BFC2-447B-A92E-97AD1C1F1EE9_zpsh9awbhqp.jpg

3C6B2176-A1F5-4311-A9BF-C02B0BF712C0_zpsjasxbo39.jpg

00CA7871-116D-41DE-9F29-0B4D8392B555_zps7sqanxvu.jpg

B0B7DC09-94D2-4A98-8130-FC7BF6761ABA_zpsoge2qr9v.jpg

Need to spend some time on the front arches, in the summer of 2014.

I have also replaced the front disc and pads, and painted the calliper and carriers in silver.

Got the bits to replace the rear disc and pads, and also some brand new MK4 callipers. Just waiting for some better weather to fit them.

Think I went a bit OCD and painted the brake discs as well, just around the edges.

53C8A57A-D0C0-48A7-AA7E-1D653C5F73FC_zpsrgy8suqx.jpg

Whilst the car has been tucked up for the winter, I have been doing some small jobs that I have been meaning to do.

Butchered the front tweeters in the dash, to fit some components in the car. Still need to fit the Mids in the doors.

5324FA50-2F43-40B0-987E-D3CEC27FE21A_zpsnx2z21lk.jpg

IMG_1400_zpse28fcb45.jpg

The standard grills fit over them, so everything looks nice and OEM.

Been wanting a boost gauge for awhile, just so that I could monitor on how the car was doing. Didn't want to fit any thing permanently in the car. But still wanted something nice, so made a suction mount gauge holder that is easily removable.

1B28E121-0AF8-4436-B958-169787D9ED09_zpst61vxui2.jpg

Next was to tackle the rotting sound proofing from the hood liner, I had bought a new from the group buy on here. Just not got to round to fitting it.

AB195347-69E0-4BE8-91A6-94EF58539BB2_zpsew17v5fu.jpg

283DD22A-DDCE-4FCC-BA21-4B3FAA53022F_zpsf9sgijqj.jpg

So with a bed sheet over the engine bay, started taking the old liner off. It came off really easily in more or less whole pieces, it was then just case of cleaning the old glue off which took some time.

Gave it a bit of polish as well and now just waiting for the spray glue to arrive so I can complete the fitting of the new one.

881656F6-7132-4C52-801A-81104134AEDC_zps7twfwhn2.jpg

So some slow progress, but its getting there.

Edited by sankysvr6

So finally got the under bonnet heat shield that I bought from the group buy last year. It looks a lot a better and I can now work in the engine bay, with out dropping bits of the old sponge.

HoodLiner5_zps175f28fd.jpg

Since weather has improved a little, I thought it was about time I started getting all the rear brakes overhauled. I had been collecting the parts, to try and make sure I had everything. But even then it took over 3 weeks, doing a few hours here and there as there was no actual urgency.

So after getting the old discs and callipers off it was looking like this.

RearBrakes1_zps5631c200.jpg

I thought I would just paint the dust shields to make them look a little nicer, but I wasn't really happy with it.

RearBrakes2_zpsfabc3ec2.jpg

So thought it would be better to strip it all down, and give it all a really good clean, and get the dust shields powder coated to give them a new lease of life. Also took the ABS sensors out and gave them a good clean, and refitted with some new SS bolts and plenty of copper slip. Just in case I need to take them out any time soon.

Dust shields back from the powder coaters, not bad for a tenner.

RearBrakes6_zps031ec9b9.jpg

All fitted up ready for the new disc and MK4 callipers.

RearBrakes7_zpsa72b1850.jpg

RearBrakes8_zps715c5ff5.jpg

RearBrakes9_zpsdf81a3bc.jpg

RearBrakes10_zps54f0a25f.jpg

Since I had painted the rear callipers red, I wanted to do the front callipers again, but also do a full rebuild on them and have them powder coated. Only problem is the hard brake line, is not letting go of the flexi hose so might have to cut this off. So this now on hold and soaking with plenty of plus gas.

I also had to replace the anti roll bar link bushes, as it was an advisory on last years MOT. I had already purchased some poly bushes, so thought I would tackle this whilst I think about the brake lines. Thinking should be a nice and easy job to tick of the list.

But this happened on both sides,

IMG_1830_zpse9bdf828.jpg

Not sure if it was just old and the metal had gone brittle, and that's why it had just snapped. But at least its off now, so I need to source some new ones. All the ones I can find, seem to come with all the bushes already with them. So I am not sure if I should just take the new bushes out and fit the the poly ones instead? Any advice would be appreciated regarding this.

That is a very clean looking G60, the body & paintwork look amazing for a 22year old car. My G60 is also a 92 J plate with the late style external body panels etc & early internals apart from the steering wheel on mine which is a late one.

Very interesting to read what you have been doing & see the pictures, mine is almost stock apart from 68mm pulley/chip & high boost valve in the ISV pipework.

Did you get round to replacing the engine mounts? I have just had to 2 rear mounts replaced, front one was done a couple of years ago. I think my rear mounts were pretty shot, car has done 160k + miles, feels very different now & theres noticeably more vibration when idling. My garage that did the work told me that the rear hydro mount 535199262 is no longer available from VW so I hunted around on the internet & found one on GSF'S ebay shop which had the VW part number on it & was listed as manufacturer VW for £51. If I try to pull away rapidly now with wheels spinning etc at least it doesnt feel like the motor is going to jump thro the bonnet anymore.

I notice from the picture of your plugs you arent using the Bosch W6DPO platinum plugs which are recommended for the PG engine, this may be the reason your plugs look sooty, they are expensive at around £10 each but last for 30-40k miles & are the only plugs to use in a PG.

Keep up the good work, great to see a G60 the same vintage as mine running well & looking amazing.

Mick

Thanks for the comments Mick

Mine is totally stock at the moment engine wise, but I keep thinking of getting a chip and pulley mod. Just want to get the mechanicals up to scratch first.

I did manage to get all 3 engine mounts changed, went for the Meyle ones as I couldn't get hold of the OEM ones. My front was and gearbox was shot, with bolt just wobbling inside of it.

Before I had the changed the mounts, I had to wait for the engine to come back down to change gear. LOL

I have got the W6DPO plugs in garage, with all the rest of the service gear. But the car is off the road at the moment, so no point in fitting them just yet.

Get some pictures up of yours Mick.

So started the refurb on the front brakes, to match up to the same quality and time put in the fronts.

Went for a complete strip down and a recondition of the callipers with seals and pistons.

FBCaliper1_zps8f6555a8.jpg

FBCaliper2_zps9b4ebdc1.jpg

FBPiston1_zps02bd7a5d.jpg

As you can see the one of the pistons were badly pitted, so just ordered a pair of new ones from BigRed. The new seals and dust boots were ordered from VW. Also had the callipers and dust shields powder coated.

Frontdustsheilds1_zpsd968363d.jpg

Frontdustsheilds3_zpscae5ac30.jpg

Callipers

FBCaliper3_zpsabe2f07b.jpg

FBCaliper4_zps98ef0f7c.jpg

Everything stripped and cleaned ready for the re-fit, also changed the front ABS sensor to save on stripping it all down again.

FrontBrakes2_zps4470e07d.jpg

FrontBrakes1_zps59e0f9e4.jpg

FrontBrakes4_zps3008a5b3.jpg

FrontBrakes3_zpse25dca2b.jpg

I also replace the standard brake hoses to braided ones, but for some reason they didn't come with the standard bungs on the hoses like the originals. So I had to use some gentle persuasion to get them off the old hoses and fit them to the new ones.

FrontBrakeHose_zpsf15afa9a.jpg

The next job was to change the power steering fluid and also the belts at the same time. The old fluid looked a little passed it, this was replaced with some genuine fluid.

Oldpowersteeringfluid_zps60ff7d12.jpg

Think I might do another change in a few months time, once the new fluid has circulated all round.

Edited by sankysvr6

The next job on the list was to look at the oil leak on the return line form the supercharger to the engine block, I originally thought this must be the crush washer at the end of the pipe, but it turned out to be an O-Ring on the bracket that I didn't know about.

RPOilLeak2_zps8015504e.jpg

RPOilLeak1_zpsb785ae47.jpg

RPOilLeak3_zps8bd5b8ed.jpg

This was all cleaned up and new O-Ring fitted on the bracket, as well as a new crush washer on the return pipe just to be sure.

th_Chargerbracketseal1_zps3615b0e5.jpg

Whilst I was at it I also gave the engine bay and wiring looms a bit of a tidy up.

IMG_1909_zps2cf8296f.jpg

IMG_2035_zps9d53c668.jpg

Also replaced the worn out tensioner bushes with some home made jobbies.

TensionerBushes_zps4c91e6f2.jpg

Also reconditioned the carbon canister whilst I was waiting for new parts to arrive.

CC1_zpsfa60f555.jpg

CC2_zpscdac3f03.jpg

Had to machine a new bottom for it, as I had to cut it open

CC5_zps822b7653.jpg

CC6_zps6e203d70.jpg

I reconditioned the active charcoal by setting it alight to burn the fumes that had collected on it, this took a good few hours.

CC3_zpse4528279.jpg

CC4_zps4bd0db7d.jpg

All built back up and ready to be fitted.

CC7_zpsf91576a6.jpg

This last picture was just to see how the wheels looked against the refurbed callipers, just waiting for the new tyres to arrive now.

IMG_2401_zps39e6dcf8.jpg

Well the weather was amazing this weekend and the misses was to work. So what better then spend the afternoon cleaning out the front wheel arches.

FrontArches1_zpse63570da.jpg

FrontArches2_zpsa487ada4.jpg

FrontArches3_zps486d1505.jpg

FrontArches4_zpsb9d099b1.jpg

FrontArches9_zpse7a4de4c.jpg

FrontArches10_zpsfd0d27b2.jpg

FrontArches7_zpsd81108aa.jpg

FrontArches8_zps2d5c2b92.jpg

FrontArches5_zps97c51a84.jpg

FrontArches6_zpsadf70a51.jpg

Been trying to get hold of the gauge holder for the centre console for awhile, but couldn't get hold of one.

So decided I would try and make one as close as I can to the original one, but with out any screw holes. Wanted it to be a tight press fit, so that I could take it out if I didn't like it.

After making various templates in card and then MDF and tons of faffing about. I had good enough template to make the final one out of perspex, and covered it in some black by vinyl to match it all in.

5481aa946afadaff84887f5e4deaa8b0.jpg

daf5e7f40db92e30dda64f8dc6afb0aa.jpg

So the fit looked good.

It was now a case to start the wiring for the lights, and the oil pressure gauge

49f6ba2405dc3f8ab4b4ca183ee7bf58.jpg

A small molex connecter was fitted, for easy removal.

e001193764537cf336f151f6bd8b78e0.jpg

All plumbed in

4971cee1ce707a6ae933fb2feacd8085.jpg

The original dashboard gauges didn't match the new boost and oil pressure gauge. So these were replaced with some VR ones instead.

From this

55d92c2d4090a60e9bf0958e17fabf36.jpg

To this

c5721af6dd48d2e2727a67e05f2723a6.jpg

9c93e7fd150b42b9edab4428f1c75a16.jpg

The speedo bulb was out in the last picture that's been fixed now

76608649b8609829bb14ae834de89f25.jpg

Edited by sankysvr6

great work there. I like your idea on refurbing the carbon canister. How much would it cost to machine another end cap as i might look into doing this for mine as well? And i'm sure there would be interest from others on the forum too.

Thanks fla, I could probably machine more of the CC end caps for £25 with 4 machine screws and 4 self tapping screws. So you could either tap and fit, or drill small pilot holes and fit.

In fact I could probably machine any parts that I have already made, so just let me know.

Ooh, I could be Interested. These are obsolete so maybe something you could do as a supply on demand type thing. A good printed instructions leaflet in with the pack would help too. Be good to know if all types use the same canister.

Not sure what the demand on these would be, as most people just remove them all together in favour for more cold air to the intake.

I'm sure I could put some instruction together if anyone wants one. But its not difficult, as long as you are comfortable using a hacksaw.

This is the video where I got the idea, for the refreshing of the charcoal.

Or you could just replace the charcoal itself, if you didn't want to refresh it. With what they use in aquarium filters, like the link bellow.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fluval-Activated-carbon-900g-FREE-FILTER-BAG-BIG-VALUE-/270782810490

Well spring is nearly here,and the Corrado is booked in for its MOT on the 28th of this month. Just hoping it all goes well at the test station so I can hopefully get it some shows this year and meet some you guys.

Been trying to get the car ready for its MOT next Saturday and thought I would start by taking the storage wheels off and put my standard refurbished wheels back on.

Got the first wheel off no problem, got the new wheel on everything things fine. Put the car back down on the floor, ready for torquing. Then thought I'll do one wheel at time so everything is done in that corner.

So bust the torque wrench out and set it to 95Nm to start with. Go to torque the first bolt and snap!!

WTF is what I thought, this can't be right.

Checked the torque wrench and it set to 95Nm, the bolt is meant to go to 110Nm. So not sure how this could have happened, any inputs guys?

[ATTACH]81117[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]81118[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]81119[/ATTACH]

As you can see its a genuine wheel bolt.

Do you think it will best to replace all the bolts with new ones? I'm thinking maybe the metal in the bolts are fatigued or something.

Had to take the calliper and disc off in the end to get the remaining bolt back out. Which at least came out easy enough with a pair of mole grips.

Anyway carried on with changing the rest of the wheels, but just tightened by feel for now.

Car looks so much better with the refurbished wheels.

[ATTACH]81120[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]81121[/ATTACH]

Bring on Saturday

Okay think I got a bit giddy about the MOT date . The MOT is this Saturday, plan is to get up early tomorrow, and do some pre start checks.

Remove the fuel pump fuse

Remove spark plugs, and disconnect coil pack.

Crank engine to get the oil pressure up.

Refit everything and start her

Get everything up to temp, then drive to the petrol station and fill her up.

Go for an early sprited drive, to get the dust off, then to the garage for the Test.

To say I'm looking forward to drive the Corrado, would be an understatement

So started on the drive to the petrol station on the Saturday, this is the first time I have driven the car since fitting the oil pressure gauges.

Turn the first corner, and start to gather speed, and the oil pressure buzzer and light starts flashing. Quickly pull over and switch the engine off but can't see anything obvious. Re start the car, and a few yards up the road same thing.

So think it must be a faulty sender, as the oil pressure looks okay on the gauge. Continue to the petrol stations and fill up, go for a little drive with buzzer going off which is ****ing me off no end.

It did put a smile back on my face, even with the buzzer was going off. Get to the garage and car goes in for its test, it passed with no issues. So all was good.

Anyway did a few checks when I got home, and it seems the VDO sender I have is normaly closed. So when the pressure is correct the contact breaks causing the buzzer and light to come on.

Are there different type do the senders?

Also discovered that my rear fog lights weren't working, probaly just a blown bulb I'm hoping.

Edited by sankysvr6

Had My eBay Pill key cut at last, think I still prefer the original VW key for the sheer nostalgia.

122%202_zpslmywlmdk.jpg

121%202_zpsrh1eo3f6.jpg

Open the garage Saturday Morning

143%202_zpsjjqv3s8h.jpg

Cover off

144%202_zpsvvglccab.jpg

Getting engine up to temp, before setting off

145%202_zps5toyxrny.jpg

At the garage

167_zps0lgznzqz.jpg

176_zpsstu6qamc.jpg

177_zps3vpa2lke.jpg

179_zpspnfnq8bd.jpg

Oil pressure gauge issues fixed (please read my post in the technical section)

Rear fog lights fixed, was just a bad connection. I've also removed the blank from the passenger side. So there are 2 fog lights now.

Spent this afternoon cleaning the car.

[ATTACH]81271[/ATTACH][ATTACH]81272[/ATTACH][ATTACH]81273[/ATTACH][ATTACH]81274[/ATTACH][ATTACH]81275[/ATTACH][ATTACH]81276[/ATTACH][ATTACH]81277[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]81278[/ATTACH]

Phone pics not doing it justice

1st time read your thread, Sanky :thumb right:

Golf or Corrado still?

And your parking is worse than mine on return trip :lol: ;)

Ref greasing rear spoiler - really easy?

Coz i want a go now! :o

So after work today, thought I would give the car a service.

But I'm sure my car hates me at times. Just the simplest job turn into a battle.

First I'm struggling to get the old oil filter off, but managed to get it off in the end. Even though it did get squashed a bit.

Next one was the rotor arm, a simple arm that should just pull off. But does it want to come off with out a fight!! Had to get to spanners on to it, so that I could pull it off.

[ATTACH]81321[/ATTACH]

Ended up cracking slightly, but at least it's off.

Dizzy cap looked well past it

[ATTACH]81322[/ATTACH]

Anyway moan over, and at least it's serviced.