Jim Bowen

Buying a donor car for a 24v conversion?

Would it be a good way to buy an engine and any others parts that may be needed or useful for spares?

Mine is nearly at 200,000miles now and having to think about its future. Would probably be an engine conversion and keep my old engine to maybe tinker with myself etc

What cars have a suitable 24v engine? Am not thinking of the R32 lumps though. Just a 2.8.

I bought a complete Bora 4 Motion without an interior but everything else and 100k on it for £400. A Bora is usually quite a bit cheaper than the equivalent Golf but mechanically, there is little difference!

Took what I needed and sold the rest. The profit is paying for the conversion costs. I'm handy with a spanner so no labour costs involved.

Just buy an engine ,loom and ecu a lot of the parts needed for the conversion comes off your vr engine anyway,the 2.8 24v is a very easy conversion to do into a vr..

Just buy an engine ,loom and ecu a lot of the parts needed for the conversion comes off your vr engine anyway,the 2.8 24v is a very easy conversion to do into a vr..

this^ , agree you dont need need anything else from the 4motion maybe DBW throttle pedal but i dont think i could justify buying a complete car for,especialy with the space a car takes up and the hassle of getting rid of it after..

I just thought it would be a good way to be able to drive the car and see what the engine is like. Not too keen on buying something off the floor on ebay.

Have even considered a new/recon engine, is it vege that do them? although read mixed reviews about them.

yea can understand where your comming from i was the same but didnt have a choice as i needed it all cheap as poss, but aslong as you buy from a reputable breaker on ebay you shouldnt have problems and if you do they can be resolved ,

if i was in your situation and lived in the uk i would find out where the nearest vw breakers yard is and phone them to see if they have this engine in a car that can be driven around there yard , agree on a price for the stuff you need and arrange a visit so you can go down and check it out and then have them remove it and pallet deliverd later in the week, also if your getting your loom work done by someone else have that loom {and ecu} back in your hands before you start stripping the car down unless your cars off the roads and its a long winded project then it wont matter much, my loom was gone for over 2months! kept on getting delayed because of stupid reasons, luckily i still had my car together until i recieved it so i could drive it, as soon as i sent the loom off i was close to makeing a start , so glad i didnt!! the actual engine swap takes no time at all ,

It's not always cheaper to buy an engine, loom and ecu. As I said, I was able to see a running engine in a car to be broken and bought the car for 400. Made back 1200 and had the engine, ecu and everything else I needed for free in effect. The 800 profit pays for anything else I need along the way. In my case I bought my rado for 800 so that was free!

I bought a smashed up mk4 1.8 20v turbo for a engine conversion, broke the car and made £1000 profit from it, car cost a lot less then that, and then you have everything you need, it's the best way I think

do you have the outlay to buy a car to break? do you have the room to store it? do you have the time & motivation to break it?

if yes, then defo go for it! cost effective, you wont find yourself chasing for that odd part and you get to check everything over first.

I think its the route i'll go down tbh. Seems quite suitable for me. I could even buy the donor and run it for a while on the road while preparing the corrado.

are there certain models/different engine codes, i should really read the 24v thread :lol:

Early 4motions were the more simple aue engines, anything after 01 I believe are the more complex bde lumps. None more difficult than others to install if you have the donor car to take all the bits you want. No difference in power outputs even though the later lumps have variable inlet AND exhaust cams. I believe the only difference having the later lumps is emissions based.

If you want to turbo or supercharge in the future, more kits, as in 99% are setup for the later versions.

I've personally gone for the aue lump as it's simpler and cheaper than any later version with the same output. That and it was the lump fitted to my donor!

If you want to just fit it and drive with no huge future plans, just get whatever comes in the donor, so long as it's healthy!

I'm sure the 2.8 24v only came in vw 4motions in the UK.

the two common engine codes are AUE and BDE there are others but i belive the others are no different to the aue, aue has a coil pack with ht leads and im not 100% sure but i dont think this model has vvt?

BDE is the later model and has vvt and individual coil on plugs thats the model i chose for my conversion.

do you plan on getting this done as quickly as you can ? or is it a long winded project?

Vvt is on all 24v lumps :-D

It's the BDE lump that has variable exhaust timing as well as the inlet timing on the AUE lump. This is for emissions reasons. The output it the same. It's the coil on spark technology that makes it more appealing to tuners.

Vvt is on all 24v lumps :-D

It's the BDE lump that has variable exhaust timing as well as the inlet timing on the AUE lump. This is for emissions reasons. The output it the same. It's the coil on spark technology that makes it more appealing to tuners.

ah right cheers fo that,

kevhaywire might still have his 24v lump, might be worth checking with him.

Found someone selling an AUE engine, so may take it. The problem is its removed from car and i won't be able to hear it running etc. Comes with matching ECU, Bora Sport clocks and uncut key with the transponder (immobiliser matched to the clocks/ECU)

Here is the advert (please no one else sneak in and buy it) :lol:

http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=475737

looks nice and clean with low miles with clocks to prove so that is a bonus above the cheaper £300 ones on ebay breakers, get immo defeat on ecu which makes this conversion easier as you wont need the mk4 clocks and key chip/transponder, your also need to buy the other section wireing harness for this motor,

Think I've already gone off the idea. Just not at the moment. Probably going for another 12v instead. Will be cheaper easier and quicker. Which all suit me at this moment in time.

Why not be the first to do a TFSI conversion? Plenty of them about. More economical than a VR6, torquier than a VR6, lighter than a VR6, faster than a VR6. Benefits all round as far as I can see. Only negative being it doesn't sound like a VR6 but you can't have your cake and eat it :)

I'm not expert at these things, i just go on what i read online to fix the car :lol:

Need to get it down quick as the corrado is my only car now.

Anybody looked into a turbo'd 2.8? I loved the bootom end pull of my 24v conversion and adding a turbo would be great, Im assuming the inlet is one of the limiting factors.