Michael'durham'

Peanut Butter: solution or myth,?

I decided today that I'd sort out my plastics, Especially the scuttle panel.

I'd heard a good while back about using peanut butter as oils and stuff effect and react on certain plastics.

Pictures below: [ATTACH]73029[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]73030[/ATTACH]

Before

[ATTACH]73031[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]73032[/ATTACH]

Interior before and after

[ATTACH]73033[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]73034[/ATTACH]

This looks to be the best result,!!

It's left on for around 1hour, less if it's sunny warm weather. (so that's one hour in the UK)

Take off with a dry cloth and hey presto black or restored colour plastic.

[ATTACH]73035[/ATTACH]

I intend to do a re'coat in a few days. As the exterior has turned out only 85% Then I'll let you all know if it's a long term solution, or the grey returns

Has anyone else tried this or other products on a well weathered panel.

Edited by Michael'durham'

No need for air freshener then :) peanut butter smells lovely. You should put a warning label in the car though incase a passenger has a severe nut allergy!

Haha loving the picture of the trim covered in peanut butter! I havn't tried it but I have heard that it works, never thought to actually try it. I have found that autoglym trim gel works wonders! use little pea sized amounts and rub it in to small areas, seems to last pretty well as well and its not too expensive.

If you want a semi permanent solution, you need a nano sealant. Its not cheap though!

These are the two best on the market.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/engine-and-exterior/gtechniq-c4-permanent-trim-restorer/prod_851.html

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/engine-and-exterior/exterior-trim-plastic-care/carpro-dlux-sealant-kit/prod_1103.html

Other than these, peanut butter or boiled linseed oil has been quoted many times, but it won't last very long tbh.

AutoFinesse Revive is very good, and leaves a natural finish that will last reasonably well.:thumbleft:

Also Gummi Pfledge for door seals etc. Very cheap on ebay too!

the peanut butter trick one last long

Get a hot air gun out and give it a blast over with it ;) that will bring your dull plastics to life

If you want a semi permanent solution, you need a nano sealant. Its not cheap though!

These are the two best on the market.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/engine-and-exterior/gtechniq-c4-permanent-trim-restorer/prod_851.html

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/engine-and-exterior/exterior-trim-plastic-care/carpro-dlux-sealant-kit/prod_1103.html

Other than these, peanut butter or boiled linseed oil has been quoted many times, but it won't last very long tbh.

AutoFinesse Revive is very good, and leaves a natural finish that will last reasonably well.:thumbleft:

Also Gummi Pfledge for door seals etc. Very cheap on ebay too!

Going to purchase this product , thanks for the link . Rob .Edit looks like you can use this on exterior as well ?

Edited by robrado974

Yeah you can, but make sure you buff it off or it'll smear when wet. Don't know how long it'll last though tbh as I've never used it on exterior plastics. (I'm assuming you mean the Gummi Pflege?)

I have tried the peanut butter but it wont last long tbh , tried the oil methods aswell but if it rains they seem to run down the car

Mer trim and bumper gel works well and collonite wax , the higher of then both 947 or something works a little to darken them and doesent go white when it dries

Also "black wow " is supposed to be very very good , you can have it of the bay for about 18 quid

And finally a hot air gun works but dont get to close ! Once you have done it theres no reversing it and if you get to close you wil end up with a big shiny spot on whatever your doing

A few folks on here used to swear by the Poorboys bumper / trim gel... never used any of that sort of stuff myself but I remember it being popular a few years back :)

I love some of the comments guys,happy when I make people smile. I just started it because I had jar in the cupboard and thought I'd take a few photos. My best attempt at a build thread.

Tesco Peanut Butter : poor mans bumper dressing :D

Wonder if he classic branded Sunpat may have a better result?

---------- Post added at 9:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:56 PM ----------

Ground nut oil works well too if you want to vary your essence? ;)

Vary your Essense,!!!!

Hahahaha, why am I still crying with laughter at this comment

works a treat, but dogs chase me down the street trying to lick my bumpers

Edited by J.C

Problem is nothing seems to last. I use a VW Bumper & Trim care gel on my Corrado and I go round and do all the rubbers round the window, the bump stops on the door, and the door handles - and the next time I wash the car they're all pale grey again. Rubbish!

I've heard that the hot gun trick is best for longevity but I havent had the balls to do it yet!!(+ I havent got a hotgun!!!!)

Problem is nothing seems to last. I use a VW Bumper & Trim care gel on my Corrado and I go round and do all the rubbers round the window, the bump stops on the door, and the door handles - and the next time I wash the car they're all pale grey again. Rubbish!

I've bought some Gtechniq C4. I've used it on the Jetta and it did a really good job at the time, but I don't know whether it's lasted well as it's been at the garage and bodyshop for months! I hope to have time to use it on the C before Stanford and will report back later about longevity...

Incidentally, I have also bought some C6 Matte Dash cleaner (also hope to have tested this before Stanford) and some P1 Polish which I think did a great job and is by far the easiest polish I have ever used. If the other 2 are as good as the polish, I'll be very happy indeed!

Edited by scarlet_vr6

you flash git!! :lol:

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

I do rate Gtechniq stuff though. C5 is the nuts for wheels just dont knock it over/ leave with the cap open!!

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

and Fay I will be picking your detailing brain at National Day.....

haha Chris, I didn't mean it that way though :lol:

I'm hoping to be in a position to afford a respray and get all the rust sorted reasonably soon and I want to find decent products and test them (and practice applying them) on the old paint first. I'll have to test C5 when I place my next order. (Name makes me shudder though - worst car I've ever driven!)

Happily chat about it all at Nat Day, although I know that there are many more knowledgeable people on this forum!!

The perfect answer to faded black hard plastic is to paint it. Remove it if you can, clean any old dressing off with thinners on a rag, plastic prime it, give it a coat of black base coat and satin lacquer it. I've done the grill, the three scuttle trims and door handles and the results are superb. Obviously it helps if you have access to a compressor and can spray but if you are going for a re-spray or if you know someone who paints then it is well worth the extra effort.

I've heard that the hot gun trick is best for longevity but I havent had the balls to do it yet!!(+ I havent got a hotgun!!!!)

Downside with that is that you can only do it a few times, and all the softeners / solvents in the material will have evaporated (it's these coming to the surface on application of heat that re-colour the relevant item).

Tempest