Sean_Jaymo

Corrado Part Duex - 24V Aqua Blue - She's gone.

Looks great that sean id be happy with that

And as long as you always have enthusiasam lol sod the skills even though to be fair youve made a top job

Current updates; I've got a bit of time off at the moment and got some Bilstein B12's on the recent group buy (Cheers Zak!) so fitted them today. I've only just driven around the block on them and initial thoughts are positive. Rides well and doesn't feel overly firm. The only thing that confuses me is how much the rear dropped. I was expecting 25/30mm but got more like 40/45mm. I've taken it all apart, double checked, checked part numbers with Eibach and Bilstein directly and all is ok. The only thing I can think that is adding to the drop is the full tank of fuel and battery being in the boot. Nevermind!

Pictures for those people that way inclined.

Before

20150303_112357_zpsofzuizgq.jpg

And after

20150303_151137_zpsitn0qnsh.jpg

I also went to the VR6 Rolling road day at Stealth over the weekend and pulled a poorly 179.9 BHP. Not brilliant and a little surprising given how well it drives. I do have a MAF fault code though so will replace that and see what happens. Vince also advised that there was a few ECU faults due to how the Immobiliser, SAI and other parts were disabled and they could be fixed so if I'm feeling a bit flush in the future, I'll get them solved.

I managed to get the geometry sorted earlier on at a local place with a Hunter Machine and having done a few miles through the lanes back all I can say is how impressed I am with the B12's! Quite regularly I forget I'm on lowered suspension, The ride is that supple, but when you press on, the handling comes alive.

There is a clunk somewhere from the rear over really large bumps when you're moving briskly so I need to look into that but the combination of 24v power and B12's is fantastic. I can't get over how pleased I am with it!

Truck bed liner. Gives just the right appearance in my eyes but it's quite abrasive so be careful of stuff near it that may rub.

Yeah truck bed liner is the stuff. About 8 quid a can from Halfords. It isn't temperature dependent when it comes to applying but takes 12 hours somewhere warm ish to cure nicely.

And it was good to meet you to!

That's great praise coming from you on standard suspension before Sean! End of next week for my fitting hopefully. Can't wait for the difference coming from a truly dire set of coilovers!

Don't get me wrong, it is a bit firmer than standard but the ride is far more controlled, it's only really choppy surfaces where you notice the roughness. My rattles also seem to have halved in intensity so that must back up my impressions.

Here is today's (grubby) picture to show how she looks. I may replace the rear top mounts (if I can find any - my dealer said they were obsolete when I was going to do them last year) and see if that raises it up 10mm or so? I quite like how it sits though!

20150304_165545_zpsfhcgmslq.jpg

Yeah truck bed liner is the stuff. About 8 quid a can from Halfords. It isn't temperature dependent when it comes to applying but takes 12 hours somewhere warm ish to cure nicely.

And it was good to meet you to!

:thumbleft:

Thanks for the B12 update! I'd like to fit the kit to mine when funds allow. I've experience the kit before (have one waiting to go on my MK1 too) and I've always been pleased with it.

Any front splitter scraping issues since fitting?

Weird on the lower rear end.

No issues with the splitter but the extra 10mm or so in the rear might be helping that slightly.

The splitter is trashed though and I was awaiting suspension fitment before I committed to another 90mm version or went for the 50mm instead. Ideally I'd want the 70mm spoonfed version but they are either pricey or rare.

Just thought I'd mention a similar problem I had with eibach springs, think there better suited to factory shocks..

Sean, aside from new top mounts front and rear, is there anything else worth getting? I've got new lower bolts, but I'm wondering if I need to get new front spring top plates as I don't know if the ones on at the moment are original or not, and suited to the bilsteins?

The instructions state to use top plates with a particular vw part number so I bought them in preparation, sold my old ones. I think they turned out to be the same anyway.

Sean, the rears on my B12 kit aren't as low as yours.

The earlier (pre 94) plus axle cars come with the correct larger top plates. Yours being a 95, I'd say get new top spring plates and Dave is right, the part number is in the instructions. Mine looked original and were fine. The kit comes with a new top lock nut for the front and all the fasteners you need for the rear top mounts. Neither the front or rear shocks come with new lower bolts but mine were only 5k old so I reused them.

I'm going to try and source some new upper mounts Dave, I loved how the rears sat on your car. Actually scratch that, I like your whole car very much indeed!

Thanks Sean, I'll have a read of the instructions tomorrow and get them ordered. The rear top mounts are obsolete now. I got the Lemforder kits from AVS spares. Around £15 per side iirc.

That was the problem I found out last year Sean although I've just searched on VW Heritage and they have some in stock so time to order some in!

EDIT: Ordered! I wish I looked there before I fitted the stuff, that will teach me! I'm normally so well researched as well!

Edited by Sean_Jaymo

The earlier (pre 94) plus axle cars come with the correct larger top plates. Yours being a 95, I'd say get new top spring plates and Dave is right, the part number is in the instructions. Mine looked original and were fine. The kit comes with a new top lock nut for the front and all the fasteners you need for the rear top mounts. Neither the front or rear shocks come with new lower bolts but mine were only 5k old so I reused them.

I'm going to try and source some new upper mounts Dave, I loved how the rears sat on your car. Actually scratch that, I like your whole car very much indeed!

Thanks Sean much appreciated.

What did you do with the rear bump stops? I left mine standard and it sat too high so lopped 25mm off and that's how it sits now.

No issues with the splitter but the extra 10mm or so in the rear might be helping that slightly.

The splitter is trashed though and I was awaiting suspension fitment before I committed to another 90mm version or went for the 50mm instead. Ideally I'd want the 70mm spoonfed version but they are either pricey or rare.

Ah OK. I get no sraping now but wondered if I would if went the B12 route.