Sean_Jaymo

Corrado Part Duex - 24V Aqua Blue - She's gone.

I'm back here with my second Corrado after being away with the fold for a few years! This time she is my project and toy car so daily duties won't be bestowed on her!

There are probably a few people here that may remember me from my last appearance on these pages, I used to own this:

IMG_1438.jpg

I've since been away and had all sorts or exotica over the years but have now got married and settled down into a more civilised car and have decided to give myself a project that wasn't horrifically expensive to enjoy. I aimed to buy something that was tatty and needed some love and to rescue another from the scrappers. Where is the fun in having a perfect project!

I found this lurking in a dark corner of the internet and it was in dire need of some love! A few Guinesses later and I had bought it unseen! Not big or clever, but it was saved from the scrapper as it looked like it was going there if it never sold.

20130307_142540_zps1090798b.jpg

So a few hundred quid later, it was delivered by trailer to me looking like this! Dirty dirty dirty!

It was sold as having no MOT or TAX with little history on 192k on a 92 'K' Plate. It has however had a £4k plus engine rebuild at Grant motorsports in 09, approx 30k back, so all good!

I knew it had a few small dents in it and that the wheels need a refurb, but not a problem really. Hopefully, It'll be back on the road by the late summer.

I've managed to get out and give it a damn good bottom up clean. I managed to write off 2 claybars in the process as it looks as if it hasn't been cleaned in many many years.

20130307_170901_zps4514a043.jpg

I've also managed to get out and get some of the panels deswirled with the machine polisher so she is starting to return to good looks! Got a long way to go though!

20130319_175718_zps3c93ec33.jpg

20130319_175705_zpsae9e26c4.jpg

Plans for her? First off she needs to look good again, so a good tart up with the machine polisher should help there.

Then there are a whole load of problems that need fixing, some small, others, not so!

I also have one of these awaiting good weather to drop in!

IMG-20130303-WA0000_zpsf16599fb.jpg

To sit on a nice clean, powdercoated subframe, cross member, front suspension etc! I spent nearly £70 on bolts alone at VW earlier just for the front end rebuild!

List of things to sort:

Replace front brakes

Replace drivers mirror - old one ty-wrapped on!

Get mirrors to work

Replace drivers seat

Source and fit radio

Refit all loose inside trim

Refit rear badge

Replace door sill plastics

CLEAN Interior

Sort body work dents and lacquer peel

Sunroof tilts but not slides

Passenger door lock won't open from outside

Replace ignition barrel

Retumble all locks

Source and fit Aerial

Sort out steering wheel leather peel

Wheels

Lupo/TT Wipers

Headlight Loom

SWAP ENGINE - simply! Along with new subframe etc

No doubt more to add!

Edited by Sean_Jaymo

WOW!!!!! That engine is immaculate. Looking forward to seeing your progress with this. I was just complaining today that I wish I had a garage so I could get a project rado going.

Good project! I wish mine was in as good condition as yours! :lol:

I've just finished prepping for polish today, and it look so much better already! Its in need of alot of paint repair, but I'll gauge that after its been cut back and I can get a real idea of just how bad it is.

Hopefully mine comes together like yours Sean, but I don't have the lump unfortunately.................:(

Look forward to more updates mate! :thumbleft:

Thanks for the comments guys!

Bit more progress made in the garage seeing as it as been too windy for me to mess about on the driveway! Engine is progressed to a point where I can't go any further until I remove the old one and the gear box is now ready to bolt on to the engine and fit.

20130326_184108_zps5adace52.jpg

Well, thankfully the wind has died down a bit so have been able to make some progress!

Now you see me;

20130327_114446_zpsf70c1ea3.jpg

Now you don't!

20130328_134725_zpsf62cfd4f.jpg

20130328_134715_zpsbd3397a5.jpg

Time for a good old engine bay clean and tidy!

Real good work so far Sean, paint looks so much better now.

You still based in Witney? What kind of exotica have you been running around in? I remember you had an old 911 for a while?

I'm living in Lincolnshire these days. The joys of work moving you about! I had the Porsche for about 18 months and replaced it with a Lotus Elise S2 111S. Both utterly brilliant cars in their own right!

The Porsche was a real occasion to drive, the noise, the way it plows through any type of road condition and the way it made kids stop, stare and point. It was remapped and decatted and had just shy of 300 brake!

The Lotus was just the ultimate go kart, not the best sounding thing and I always felt as if I was going to be squashed by trucks on the road but just being able to point the car in any direction you wanted and it just went there!

I also had a Polo GTi as a run about for 6 weeks. Less said about that the better!

Have since got married and want to buy a house so now have a Passat Estate as my daily. Great tool of a car but ultimately requires a rudder out back!

When all is said and done, I've owned all sorts of stuff over the years, but a Corrado is the only car I have ever bought 2 of, I just have such a soft spot for them, great noise, great character and a bit handy on the road. I just need to educate people that it is not a Scirocco and i'm there!

Few weeks with no update, Things haven't progressed hugely fast due to the rubbish weather. I've made progress though so not all bad!

Few pictures for those who like that kind of thing!

20130421_165525_zpsa4997fd2.jpg

20130421_165516_zpsc7195c3f.jpg

20130421_165439_zps306f114f.jpg

I have removed and fitted a nice new cross member and radiator support panel with brand spanking new bushes and bolts along with refurbed and powder coated wishbones with OEM front bushes and TT rear bushes. Original subframe was in great condition (thanks to years of oil and gunk!) so was cleaned up and refitted. New steering rack bush with powder coated bracket fitted along with new track rods, steering bellows and track rod ends. The hub carriers have been powdercoated and new bearings pressed in and old hubs reused as they are spot on, if a little stained up and fitted to new ball joints. New bolts have been fitted throughout.

I'm waiting on TPS for new splash shields, bolts and flywheel pressure bolts before I can carry on refitting the brakes.

The loom has been modified to work on the 24v system but is only trial fitted into place until I know everything is working properly. I need to swap over my pedal box to one which has had the DBW pedal fitted into place, but i'm saving that little joy for later on in the week!

Updates when they come!

---------- Post added at 7:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:29 PM ----------

I was thinking of using plastidip on my ARB along with other things. Would anyone know how it would fair up or tried it themselves?

I was thinking of using plastidip on my ARB along with other things. Would anyone know how it would fair up or tried it themselves?

---------- Post added at 8:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:13 PM ----------

Cheers! I fix aircraft for a living so it's all fairly straight forward. It's only the electrical stuff that stretches me a bit. But, thats one of the reasons I went 24v, I wanted something that wasn't obvious and straight forward and stretched my comfort zone a bit.

Porsche pics for you!

IMG_3110.jpg

_DSC0990-X95A.jpg

Porsche pics for you!

Beautiful! I'm a big 911 fan, especially 964s and 993s. Don't know how you could sell that!! Love the seats with the piping. I will have a 911 in my life at some point!!

Keep up the good work on the C!

At the time, it was my only car and I was commuting 60 miles a day in it, I was ruining it and it was having a good go at my bank account! I'll have another, No issue! I was so glad to have experienced it. Best bit was that I was 26 at the time so no meno-porsche for me in my 40/50/60's!

What a car to own at such an age! I bought my C when I was 26 and that does enough damage to my bank account so I dread to think what 60 miles a day was costing you! As you say though, at least you've experienced one. There's always time for another!

I was lucky to be in a great place at the time financially. I have now got married and am saving for a house so no more Porsche for me for a while :( My wife does keep telling me she is better than an old Porsche anyway...!

Another productive afternoon spent on the old girl, Changed the Ignition barrel, Ignition switch and partially fixed the passenger door which didn't open! Door now opens thanks to Daves16v kit but i'm missing a 25p clip which hold the handle in place! Typical! something else on the list!

I've also managed to get my pedal box out - Fun! - and remove all of the old dodgy sub and amp wiring that was in gashly stuck in. I loved finding a battery positive thick gauge wire inches from a earth in the boot. Brilliant! So now all trim is kind of back in place. I just need to spend a few quid at vw buying a load of panel and trim clips.

No pictures as it all looks the same!

More progress!

I've got a pair of the plastic door handle clips so now I have a pair of working door handles! Simple things! Still need to replace the drivers striker pin but as it works at the moment, I'll focus on other parts for now!

Lots of big bit syndrome going on at the moment!

20130424_172720_zps6314a749.jpg

New clutch as I'm not sure on age of the last one, I think it's about 30k old but can not tell for sure so whilst it's in pieces, I'd be a fool to not put a new one in!

And then gearbox on and slaved into bay!

20130424_195349_zps4417d97f.jpg

20130424_195343_zps20a5ce62.jpg

Really happy! Just need to trim the rear mount down , but I wanted to slave it in to finalise wiring routing and lengths first!

Trying to think what I was driving when I was 26 - probably either my 1977 1.5 Austin Allegro :), or my 1983 VW Scirocco CL

Cheers

Jeff

At the time, it was my only car and I was commuting 60 miles a day in it, I was ruining it and it was having a good go at my bank account! I'll have another, No issue! I was so glad to have experienced it. Best bit was that I was 26 at the time so no meno-porsche for me in my 40/50/60's!

Another week, another update! No photos as I've not had the chance to upload them yet. I've got all the wiring finalised now. I had a few snags, nothing major and a relay change.

The way I had my wiring set up, I had my ignition wired off the g1/10 pin and the ecu relay 190 doesn't work unless you have an earth trigger from the ecu and my AUE ecu doesn't have this function. Changing the 190 for a 30 bypassed this and now we have life in the old girl!

It fired into life for the first time today, it was loud and it was only for a few moments but it sounded great! Rock steady idle first time too!

Still have yet to fit the cooling system or get a downpipe made for my twin cat setup but I can now get on with that as I know the engine fires up happily!

Have also fitted my 288 front discs, just need to source some calipers and carriers and then I can send them off for a refurb, just need to decide on colours now! Then I can fit my drive shafts and put her back on her wheels.

I love a good rebuild! Pictures over the next few days!

Some photo's from last week.

Pedal box welded up.

20130425_110347_zpsc98808ba.jpg

Interior being removed for some cleaning

20130502_155503_zps0a83d17e.jpg

And what I found inside! £4.80 in coins alone!

20130502_185727_zps145c075d.jpg

Fitted the ARB and it's new bushes today along with the drop links. Well I did until I realised that the arb was on upside down! Cue some mutterings and now all is fine! Plenty of time spent for not a lot of results! Onwards!