Sean_Jaymo

Corrado Part Duex - 24V Aqua Blue - She's gone.

Another productive day!

Shortened the rear engine mount and bolted the engine down fully. Also removed the old 02A shifter as the bushes have worn well along with the old brake calipers and hoses ready for me to fit 288 brakes once I source the calipers and carriers.

Finally got the car back on it's wheels for the first time in a long time! Progress feels good! Should really use my proper camera instead of the phone...

20130517_185003_zps84f9c586.jpg

Luckily I keep finding spares from when I last had a rado! Needed a new cv boot, just so happened to have a genuine one on the shelf! Lucky times! Just need to find a custom downpipe there now!

More busy progress! Rebuild is complete for all intensive purposes. I need to get the downpipe sorted out still, but the wife wants to go on holiday, so funds need to be aimed at that instead! I've got a set of 288 calipers and carriers, I just need to get them cleaned up and fit a new piston to one caliper. Then a case of brake bleeding, coolant system checking and little odds and sods.

It looks good being back in one piece! Ish!

20130609_174451_zpsd60e1bec.jpg

And a little video for you!

th_20130609_174828_zps77d4ddb1.jpg

Another productive day today! I stripped down, cleaned up and painted the 288 brake calipers and replaced the seals all round and 1 piston. I ummed and ahhed for a weeks on colours, I'm after something subtle so the usual red and blue went out the window and I wasn't too taken with silver or black so I decided to go for gold. It's not as bad as it sounds! Honest!

A quick shot of the complete and refurbed caliper.

20130612_153512_zps41c878f6.jpg

And on the car

20130612_183701_zps5a796a26.jpg

Fitted with a Goodridge conversion kit for 312mm brakes and mk4 rears that I bought from C and R developments a few days ago. Everything arrived quickly but I did have a problem with the wrong banjo bolts being sent out for the front calipers. I'm not hugely bothered as I just re-used the old bolts. Just something for people to be aware of if they buy this kit.

20130612_194754_zps5cdef1c6.jpg

And a quick shot of a the brakes behind a very dirty speedline!

20130612_194850_zps5b0f1444.jpg

Mk4 rears are in the process of being cleaned up and will be fitted at some point over the next week or so!

Have to say I winced a bit at a gold caliper but in-situ it looks good.

keep up the good work that man.....:thumb right:

I did have to take a bit of a gamble on the Gold, but I saw a 350Z outside a local shop a few weeks ago and thought the the gold/bronze colour looked good and subtle despite them being big Brembo calipers! Blue and Gold can work together, Look at the Clio Williams of old!

I'm being held back a bit by budget at the moment, but it was a project that was supposed to last a few years, not 4 months!

Thanks for all of the comments!

Very good progress mate, like it. Reading threads like this makes me wish I could do things myself but unfortunately Labour charges bite me in the backside everytime I need sumthin doing!!!

Good luck with the rest of it :-)

Well I decided that I would go and fit the mk4 rear brakes. I just so happened to find that the flexi line was shot. Not a problem though, I have some mk4 specific braided lines to fit in their place. Problem is that the lines and all the unions have seized up solid and are rotten to hell! The rear beam flexi lines are also seized and rotten and on further investigation, most of the solid brake lines have had it and are shot! So I decided to whip the rear beam off for better access.

20130618_180020_zpsbfcc4a6e.jpg

I then stripped the beam down as I felt it would be a good idea to tart it all up seeing as i'm under there! Gave it a good smashing over with a wire brush and drill attachment and a few coats of paint left this

20130618_180151_zpse3236065.jpg

Whilst it was up in the air I thought I would give the arches a clean seeing as there was inches and inches of crud everywhere. Leaving this

20130618_180005_zps9f73883b.jpg

20130618_175935_zps3b7220ca.jpg

I decided that I couldn't leave it there and pulled out the heat shields and the remaining part of the exhaust and gave it a clean as well to see what I had left

20130618_175927_zpsfb745b9b.jpg

20130618_175944_zps4c576653.jpg

20130618_175956_zps5ee455e7.jpg

Luckily, it's really solid underneath apart from a few bits of surface rust where an exhaust hanger bolts on. Nothing 10 mins can't fix! I have found that most, if not all of the heat shields are torn or have pulled through where they are fixed. Are these still available and what kind of cost are we looking at?

Also, The metal trim that sits on the inside of the rear bumper around the towing eye point had also rotten through so I had to de-rivet the remaining parts and cleaned up the remainder of the metal and bumper. Is this available too? What is the point of it?

Edited by Sean_Jaymo

great job on the rear beam, from experience its not an easy job to do using axle stands on the drive way, are you going to do the bushes whilst its off?

my exhaust shields cleaned up pretty good, and rather than buy new i just used a larger new versions of the press on clips to secure them better.

The bushes only look a few k old, maybe 10k. I think they're about £70 each from a dealer and I can't justify that on fairly new bushes.

I've got some metal flashing tape so I'll patch up the holes and then find some larger retaining discs, hopefully in stainless if they exist!

I may paint the bottom all black in some half decent paint. Any suggestions?

---------- Post added at 8:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:44 AM ----------

I've just seen that vwspares do them for £8.70 each. I may just get them done at that price!

Rustoleum do some serious paints that cover all sorts of snots and corrosion, their combi colour range spreads to a very good finish too. Beats the likes of Hammerite hands down.

Cheers Aide, ill look into that stuff and see what's what! It'll take longer to get her back on the road but at least I'll have years of trouble free motoring hopefully seeing as most of the mechanics will be new and all of the bushing fresh! Just need to sort out fans, sunroof, lights, wipers, radio, parcelshelf, body work etc etc etc!

Bit more problem fixing today, My air direction controls were stuck on windscreen and I feared the worst after knowing how brilliant the stock heater controls are! I whipped out the controls and disconnected the cables. Luckily for me everything worked perfectly, it just needed a touch of grease as the old stuff had dried out. I then manually exercised the cables and found that the face/windscreen vent didn't have full travel. Hmmm A bit of investigation required!

20130626_150558_zps5143675a.jpg

I then took off the front cover, which is held on 2 10mm plastic nuts and found that the old foam was way past it's best!

20130626_151834_zpsc41766bd.jpg

On closer inspection, the gears had jumped a few teeth, so simply drop out the intermediate gear, put the cable and the flap at full deflection and pop it back in! The gear is underneath the housing, in the middle of the picture, not obvious unless you have it in pieces!

20130626_151850_zps262e3102.jpg

Everything worked a treat! Quick rebuild and 3 hours later, it was as if nothing has happened! Now All I need to fix with the controls is the fan speed, Stuck on 4 or nothing, I was going to simply swap the resistor pack with a spare I had in the garage, only to find my spare has 4 cables and the Corrado has 5 Nevermind, I'll find a thermal fuse at some point and swap it over!

In other news, I'll hopefully be getting some new rear suspension bolts next week along with some brake pipe and then I can start rebuilding that! I need to get my Passat daily through it's MOT on Friday first and then I can see what spare funds I have for the Corrado. Getting some new rear bushes fitted on Friday as well when the barge is being MOT'd so that means EVERY suspension bush is new with the exception of suspension top mounts, but they're fresh and recent anyway! Good times!

Also painted up the rear crash bar, shimmed the rear bumper and refitted. Bumper looks modern now with close and even panel gaps!

Well the 138k Passarati flew through its mot without even an advisory! I also have a 50 quid bag of bolts from VW to rebuild the back end fully!

Just need to get my rear beam back from the garage after having new bushes pressed in and get some new brake pipes to complete it all!

A bit more of an update!

I have got my rear beam back and now i'm waiting on a few clips before I start to rebuild it and get it back on her wheels!

I've also decided to junk the old heater and fan setup as I found the fan resistor had failed and that the teleflex cables had worn causing restriction in the controls themselves. Knowing that it could prematurely kill my controls which are in perfect knick otherwise bothered me and instead of fitting some new cables for the cost of about £40 and sourcing a new resistor for the fan, I decided to do this:

20130719_184340_zps3ee51bea.jpg

Any ideas what it is?!

How about this for another clue?!

20130719_184323_zps06e71d60.jpg

I decided that since I could go to the cost of fixing the few things and still have weak controls and an asthmatic fan or I could fit the Climatic system instead which doesn't have either of those problems, with the plus of being able to fit aircon in the future if I wanted!

Now all I need are the 2 electrical plugs to power and control the system properly, the 17 and 10 pin version if anyone can help?!

I have also ripped out the ENTIRE ABS system! That loom is routed everywhere! I've got a full mk3 system minus an ABS light and loom that I need to source from a late B4, again if anyone can help! I've already modified the mk3 servo to pedal linkage to work with the Corrado pedal. I just need to modify the ABS pump bracket so that I can fit it and then simply fit the rest of the system!

Edited by Sean_Jaymo

Update, I have finally wired in the rest of the Climatronic system. All I need to do with that now is to plumb in the aircon side of things later on in the project. The only problem I have at the moment is that the recirc servo seems to have restricted movement. I'll look into it some more in the next couple of days.

I have also now wired in the Teves20 ABS system and I should be getting the bracket to mount the pump sorted out in the next few days and then I can plumb in the new hard lines and get things moving!

You need to rip everything out up to the bulkhead including some of the sound proofing to allow the new heater box to sit properly. You then need to source a heater box and a climate controller unit. The heater box from a MK4 does NOT bolt straight in, although i'm lead to believe that a leon one will, but I don't know any more details than that. You have to drill new holes for the heater box studs to bolt to the bulkhead and then cut a hole for the aircon pipework connections to pass through the bulkhead as well.

I then found some wiring diagrams and joined the dots and for now I have a working digital fan setup with a fan that isn't asthmatic! Total cost so far, about £60, time taken, about 20 hours including research for the wiring. I'd be able to fit it in an afternoon now that I know what is going on! I think getting the a/c in and working will be more of an issue than getting the air box in!

It's a big job and not to be undertaken lightly, but my car is in pieces and has been for 6 months so I'm happy to spend time on it as and when.