VeenixTwin

Clay bars???

Howdo,

Can any of you give some advice, Im in need of a dummies guide to using "clay bars" !!!

Haven't had anything to do with them or to be honest even seen them before, but I've heard them mentioned 3 times in as many weeks.

Are they anygood?

How do you use them on your bodywork?, and when ie. before polish or instead of etc etc

Are they mainly for removing tar/insects or the whole car??

Also opinions on which is best??

Cheers.

use a clay bar on a clean, dry car but you break a bar into smaller pieces and work one area of your car at a time. Spray a quick detailer or something similar onto the patch you want to work on and then rub the clay bar over the paintwork preferably in different directions over the same area of paint. If it's tough to move the clay then either you're pressing too hard or you haven't used enough quick detailer. It'll remove any tar or other bonded contaminants. You'll see the clay change colour as it cleans the paintwork and so you fold the bar in on itself to reveal a clean part. Eventually you'll need another piece of the original bar though.

You'll be amazed by the difference in the paintwork. If you run your hand over a non-clayed area it'll feel really rough, but an area you have done will feel like smooth, clean glass. Definitely recommended and depending on mileage you won't need to do it very often, maybe once a year. I use elitecarcare's own yellow clay but I'm sure there are plenty of good claybars around. I think the Sonus one is supposed to be pretty good.

Oh and don't drop it! If you do, use another piece!

Clay is brilliant stuff. Its basically a mild abrasive that removes/shaves the top off contaminates on the surface of your paint.

You wash your car, then either dry it or clay it while it's still wet, then re-wash and dry. The process of claying is to spray the panel with a lubricant (I use Meguiars Last Touch but you can use a strong car shampoo solution) then lightly glide the clay over the paintwork making sure it is well lubricated all the time, as dry clay will mar the surface, turning the clay and folding it in so you are always using a clean side, until the surface is smooth (put your hand in a sandwich bag and run it over the surface to test). You can clay all of your car including the wheels and glass not just the paint. You do it after you wash but before the polishing stage once or twice a year.

My personal favourite clay is Sonus green but the Meguiars kits from Halfords are pretty good to start you off.

Give it a go - you'll be amazed by what comes off "clean" paintwork.

Hahaha - two different replies both saying almost exactly the same thing :)

Sounds good stuff.

Cheers for the responses guys.

I'll get some shopping done this weekend plus I've got a old Mk3 Golf bonnet in the garage to practice on first.. :o

Sounds good stuff.

Cheers for the responses guys.

I'll get some shopping done this weekend plus I've got a old Mk3 Golf bonnet in the garage to practice on first.. :o

Sorry to change the subject, but I noticed in your sig it says you have AP Coilovers. I've got a set that will be getting fitted next week. How do you get on with yours? Decent enough ride etc?

Cheers

Haha Jamie, always good to see someone write an almost identical answer! I use Megs Last Touch too. Works really well :) Didn't know the sandwich bag trick so I'll try that next time!

Edited by scarlet_vr6

Sean - introducing a man to detailing world is one step below getting them hooked on heroin. Wish I'd never found that place :lol:

Ruggy - I've got APs on my Alhambra and they are really good mate, especially for the money. I don't have them wound right down as its my daily, but its down 70mm and the ride is firm but not harsh and not at all crashy. If you're on a budget I would say go for it, they're certainly better than the FKs I had on my MKII ...

Jamie - Cheers man, looking forward to having my own personal snow plow to deal with this ****e weather!

Ruggy- its the first time Ive had coilovers and for the money they seem a good quality kit (apparantly made in the same factory as KW). They're not harsh or choppy like some cars I see on the road but think I'll be going back to standard when the C goes back on the road, as they are too firm for B road blasts for my liking (suppose it depends what your after).. Would love to go in a rado with lets say a koni coilover kit on to see if twice the price is twice as good..

Veenix - Cheers dude, your assessment is reassuring, the only worry I really had was that the ride would be really harsh or crashy. I can handle the firmness on the roads I generally drive on.

Sorry again for the hijack. From clay bars to coilovers, both begin with C I suppose!

If you want to run the risk of starting an obsession or simply want to stare wide mouthed at those who do have an obsession with clean cars, get over to http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum

There are some people on there who really need to get a girlfriend or mistress but can do magical things!

:lol: very true! Answers a lot of questions and helps you spent a lot of cash too!

Dont spend your money on dedicated lubes or QDs, I use demonshine diluted 1:1 and it acts as a great lube. £3 or so from asda for 1.5 litres will last a good long while as well! :thumbleft: