tom_rob_89

K&n 2.0 8v

Just wondered if k&n make an induction kit for the 2.0 8v? I've had a search but can't seem to find any. Or even better if anyone has a good induction kit that will fit my car going cheap give me a shout.

Cheers Tom

As a 96 ady engine, a mk3 golf gti kit may fit to the maf on your car, but I wouldn't bother, it's best left as it came from the factory.

Hello there,

the induction kits are ok but because the K & N filter is fitted directly on to the air flow meter housing,

you'll then be sucking in warm or hot air from the engine bay as your air filter will no longer be fitted in side a filter box.

The best way really is to get as much cold air as you can in to the inlet,

the colder and more of it the better performance you'll get from your engine.

The cheapest and best way is to keep your original air filter box and just fit a K & N sports air filter,

these filters cost around £30 to £40 and last for 50,000 to 60,000 miles before they need to be cleaned,

when cleaning them you can do this with a little brake cleaner,

then allow it to dry out and then you'll have to spray the air filter with the red oil,

this oil protects the filter and keeps it moist and prevents small dirt and dust particles from getting through it,

as these sports air filters have larger holes with in the filter and so let a lot more air through them,

but also dust which is why the oil is sprayed on the filter every time it is cleaned.

People only really fit a induction kit for the sound it makes but like I say if the air filter is lose in the engine bay,

all your going to be doing is sucking in poor air i.e warm or hot air.

Unless the air filter is poking through the drivers side wing where the air will be cold and fresh,

your not going to be gaining anything from fitting an induction kit.

Some people I've heard have drilled holes in the bottom and in the side of the original air filter box,

to obtain that induction sound and just fitted a sports air filter you can do this, it is one of the cheapest ways,

if you do go for that then drill the holes in the bottom close to the wing and again drill the holes in the wing side of the air box.

The holes must be in the lower part of the air filter box for it to work and be 8mm to 10mm max,

only do about 6 to 8 holes (3 to 4 in bottom of box and 3 to 4 in wing side of air box)

Plus if you wanted to you can fabricate up a induction pipe / hose from under the radiator where there's a grill in the front bumper,

or cut out a slot in the metal air scoop for the radiator which is underneath just in front of the rad,

as the air down here is cold and fresh, this way the air is rammed in to the air filter fever up.

When a air induction kit is done well you may well have an increase of 1 to 3 BHP,

if you just fit a induction filter directly on to the air flow meter housing your not really going to gain anything,

a part from the loader noise and the air in the engine bay is just too warm / hot.

A lot of people try to over come this by fitting a cone shaped filter box so as to keep the induction sound load,

but unless the induction kit is sucking in fresh cold air you will not make any gains.

Some of these induction kits cost £150 to £300 and yet they are still sucking in hot air which is pants.

Hope this helps mate.

Si :thumbleft:

DONT get the older type "wet" filter that you have to oil. It will kill your MAF! The newer type K&N panel filters don't require oiling, this is what you want to go for mate.

Hi Mate I actually have an induction kit for sale off an 8v with all brackets etc. looking for £70 posted as it's quite heavy.

Let me know if interested and i'll get some pics.

Thanks for all ur reply's :)

I already have a k&n panel filter in but I'm really looking for a better noise lol.

What if I did fit an indution kit but put a few breather pipes from the grill and a heat shield on would this give me the cold air it needs?

Yeh kip I may well be interested in that if this is what I decide to do lol. Is it in good condition? And what make is it?

Yes it would give you the cold air but you'll need to make the induction pipes out of rubber or aluminium,

as then the incoming air won't be able to escape and will be forced up in to the air filter, which is what you want.

You really need if poss a wide horizontal mouth intake (where the air is first collected)

You don't want 2 or 3 breather pipes you just really need one main large air intake that will ram cold air in to your air filter.

I think on the standard air filter box intake it draws air in from under the front right wing or from behind the drivers head lamp,

one of the best places on the Corrado to access clean cold air is under the radiator on the metal air scoop,

but you'll have to cut out a horizontal slot so as to fit a fabricated air intake entrance.

The only thing to bare in mind as well though is that down there the air intake will be very low,

so you'll have to be careful when you drive through water (flooded roads)

Si

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

"wet" filter that you have to oil. It will kill your MAF (Air Flow Meter)

It can do but only if you put too much oil on, or fit the filter to the car before the oil has dried.

I've fitted loads of this type of filter to cars over the years and never had a problem.

I believe the air flow meter on the 2.0 8v and VR6 is of the element type where it heats up,

to measure the air flow coming in through the intake and so is cooled down at the same time by the passing air,

so if oil gets on the element it will burn out as the air flow won't be able to cool it down so to speak.

But this is really rare plus may only happen if you put too much oil on the air filter or fit it back when it's still damp.

Si

It's a K&N one, it's fairly new and i just decided to fit the original airbox as i prefer it to be a bit quieter and i'm an old fart :lol:

It was on the car I bought last year and dont think he had it long before deciding to sell it.

Comes with the attached Maf too :)

Edited by KIPVW

VW rule - I'm just going from second hand info tbh, as its all over the mk3 section on GolfGTIForum. I know this as when I bought my old Golf3 it was fitted with a "wet" panel filter, and the MAF was dead so I asked the questions. Its also reported quite alot on there with the 2.0 8v ady/agg engines using different type MAFs as well (siemens/bosch).

Don't worry Sean I wasn't having a go or anything,

I was just stating that I haven't had a problem my self with the older filters (oil type ones)

Good thing though mate that you did mention it regarding the Air Flow Meter,

that it can be damaged due to a sports air filter being fitted that hasn't dried out,

as I forgot all about that to be honest :thumbleft:

Si