DavyDave

Ny VR6 stolen, and recovered

Hi Guys

I've had my VR6 2.9 L reg, from almost new! Though I'm not at all techy, so bear with me.

Last week my beloved motor was stolen. Thought I'd never see it again.

Yet the police spotted and chased it Tuesday night. Abandoned with sledgehammers, crowbars. Clearly up to no good. But obviously good enough to be a getaway car.

I still haven't got it back from forensics but in the meantime I've seen it.

The ignition "barrel" (I think) has been smashed out, and it was hot-wired, so I'm trying to find out in advance what I'll need for repairs etc.

And any advice where to go to buy parts.

thanks chaps in helping an old friend heal. She's Dragonfire Green, by the way.

Sorry to hear that mate, hopefully there is no lasting damage. Best of luck getting it sorted. I hope next time the scummers nick a lesser car and bin it into a huge tree very hard!!

• Like 1

I would guess you'll need a new ignition barrel, ignition switch and possibly a new steering cowl. There are various sources for a new barrel and switch, there's a few ebay dealers that do them, or you could try somewhere like TPS if not your local VW dealer themselves... The steering cowls are more than likely obsolete now (try TPS though to see) so either a breaker on here or an ebay search is your best bet.

HTH

Mark

• Like 1

I just remembered that I have a complete steering lock with new key which I'll sell you (for a very good price!) if you need it... it's boxed and has never been fitted, just sat on my shelf for god knows how long!

Hope that there's not too much damage and you get it back soon... 8)

• Like 1

Cheers Bill... looks fine except for that hotwiring...

And they did something to the passengers side lock which i forget to check as the MororMove guys (the recovery firm) were wonderinging if the sledgehammer and crows were mind.

Happily they're not.

Oh, then there is the £150 damage to my wallet I'm being charged for picking her up!

Oh yes, and a fiery death to the blanks -- in a Micra.

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

Thanks Mark.

I'll have to get on ebay asap.

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

Yeah Kempy

I honestly though that WAS It!

Especially as the cops rang the day before to say as there were no sightings they were closing the file.

Real bummer that , and to top it off you have to pay to get it back! Glad she is fine apart from the hotwire damage .

• Like 1

Hi Henny

I just posted this once but it seems to have disappeared!

That sounds good.

Give me an e on [email protected] and let me know what price you're looking for.

cheers

This is a great forum, I think I need to start looking after the old gal (the car!) more and this sounds the right place!.

Henny

I've posted 2 replies to you -- but unlike to the others, they don't appear to be showing at all.

So if you've seen them, forgive me for posting this as a separate post this time...

Hi Henny

I just posted this once but it seems to have disappeared!

That sounds good.

Give me an e on [email protected] and let me know what price you're looking for.

cheers

This is a great forum, I think I need to start looking after the old gal (the car!) more and this sounds the right place!.

Jim

that's very generous of you. Cheers mate.

Unfortunately I'm up near Manchester and as you know, currently carless.

However, if you don't mind posting it, I will send you the money in advance. Just let me know where and I'll return addresses.

If that's too much hassle don't worry.

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 PM ----------

Hey Robrado!

Thanks for the commiserations.

You don't know what you got till it's gone. As someone once said.

Newbies have their first few posts moderated before going live. It does tell you that when you post a message.

I have a late steering cowl in black you can have for nothing.

very generous Jim!! & a great example of how good this forum is & how the majority of us are nice people :D

forgot to mention.......really pleased you got your motor back dave & good luck making it so that you couldnt tell it had received abuse from the scum!!

Just read through this - what great bunch y'all are! I used to have a recurring dream than my C had been

stolen from outside my house. Thankfully, this scenario hasn't materialised.

Absolutely agree Gold!

Great folks own and drive VR6s, I'm inspired to spend a few bob getting mine back to showroom standard!

---------- Post added at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

Your nightmare came true. But for me, Endergee!!

---------- Post added at 1:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

Hi Jim

Got your private message, but cannot see how to send you one back with my postal address?

if you e me on [email protected] I'll send it over.

Once again, thanks for your kind offer.

Hi DavyDave... I'm also up in the Manchester area (work in Salford Quays)... When you get the car back, let us know what parts you need, it's possible I may have some of what you need... :)

I'll dig out the steering lock this weekend and let you know.... I won't want much for it as it's worthless to me now I've finally sold my Corrado!

That's great Henny

I'm in Edgeley Stockport so can easily pop over to collect.

I know I need the whole ignition thingy... and Jim has kindly offered a black Cowl.

They ripped off the fuel flap, as well! Just been phoned by forensics and they're checking for evidence this afternoon!

I'm taking it to a garage in Hyde, (driving iot hot wired!) the mechanic is a Corrado enhusiast. But he's away next week so plenty of time for me to get parts I'll need.

I'm always sorry to hear stories like this. I don't have any of the parts you need but very best of luck repairing all the damage.

The Corrado guys are a great bunch, when my last one was stolen (unfortunately not recovered) I had several calls from people wanting to see if i was OK (I loved the car) and also word of it's theft was spread very quickly throughout the VAG scene by the forum members. One of the guys even put up a temporary webpage that had all the photos, mods and unique items about the car listed (it was Khaki pearl with VWM VSR and other nice bits) and numbers to call if anyone offered parts of that description to them.

Incredible really as I didn't ask for help at all :)

Even got advice from a member who worked in insurance on maximizing my claim as the insurance company were trying to take me for a ride.

Hof -- yes!

My sentiments exactly. I did a google search for VR6 parts and this site popped up so thought I might as well join up!

And then get lots of great support back instantly.

Can't thank folks enough.

What do you reckion happened to your stolen VR^?

Edited by DavyDave

Thanks Scarlet!

Impressive looking motor!

Thank you very much but the photographer did a good job! The closer you get to the car, the less impressive it is! It'll have a respray one day...

Glad to hear that you're feeling inspired to give it a bit of TLC. If you decide to, be sure to start a thread in the member's gallery so we can all see your progress!

The Corrado guys are a great bunch, when my last one was stolen (unfortunately not recovered) I had several calls from people wanting to see if i was OK (I loved the car) and also word of it's theft was spread very quickly throughout the VAG scene by the forum members. One of the guys even put up a temporary webpage that had all the photos, mods and unique items about the car listed (it was Khaki pearl with VWM VSR and other nice bits) and numbers to call if anyone offered parts of that description to them.

Incredible really as I didn't ask for help at all :)

Even got advice from a member who worked in insurance on maximizing my claim as the insurance company were trying to take me for a ride.

I'm sure they were only "great guy's" as they knew who they were helping another great guy Ron what goes around come's around and just to prove my point of being a great guy you came back!!! no more need's to be said I think :thumb right:

Sorry to hear about this DavyDave, good luck getting the car back on the road every time you drive it its 2 fingers to the pond life that took it. When my Vr6 got wrecked by a Benidorm bus i got the same supportive messages you are getting to help you along. all the best from the Toon, Matt