delfinis38

Delfinis38 Vr6

Nice! Is the exhaust on the floor the new or the one coming off?

You need to clean under those rear arches too

Old and new zorst, the inner arches are actually clean... I guess not as clean as yours... They are an off blue black colour as they still have the wax on from new... Think I've also put a coat of wax on in the last few years..

Quite straight forward, but I took my time. I didn't cut the ends off the old trim and put it in the oven to split the end caps (as suggested)as I wanted to keep the old trim, I actually managed to cut the end glue out with a Stanley knife. So I can put my old trims back if I wanted.

I cut, filed and trimmed the front end first. It took me two attempts to be satisfied, (there's enough trim for about 3 balls ups. Then cut and filed the rear.

Once satisfied with the fit I stuck the end caps and applied some double sided tape to the rear.

It's a good solution to the problem, but they are not identical to the origional (if that's what you want) theirs a rad on the outer edge that sits slightly proud. The trim sits proud of the body work by about 1.5mm you can't do anything about it at the rear, but I took lots of rubber off the front so it fits flush then gradually rises. But that's being picky. Over all I'm satisfied, and they look much better than my old ones.

Well done karmannski.

just uploaded more pictures...

picture 1 shows that ive taken a lot of material away from front under the front edge so the front end cap fits flush...

not much you can do with the rear. the trim sits proud. picture 3

before I stuck the front end cap I filed a big chamfer out of the back edge, so the end cap sit more in line parallel with the trim now. picture 2

Edited by delfinis38

nice write up delfinis & the rail looks excellent in the picture

personaly, I am considering just removing the rails & cleaning & polishing the gutters. I think the only downside of doing such would be water sitting the in the gutters when stationary.

can anyone think of anything else that could be detrimental?

Early Xmas present for the car.. Paint less dent man coming on Monday to sort a few parking dings out.. Not that they are that bad. Years of abuse in the garage with people brushing past and reaching to get something over the car. Having the BMW sorted too scratch on bumper.

Edited by delfinis38

Strut caps fitted this afternoon and a wiper motor cover, five min job.

Does the wiper motor cover just locate over the rear motor boss. The cover rocks backwards when the bonnet is open.

Had one of Daves door handle repair kits for a long time (not that mine were broken) and been trying to ignore fitting it. Any way had to take the door card off to get a small ding sorted.. So decided to give it ago.

The parts and instructions in Daves kit are good.. But not sure how your meant to put a thread in the roll pin with a soft screw any way got the pin out of the drivers side by drilling the drill then snatched and I pulled it out. Passenger side was more complicated I had to run a 2.5mm tap down it to remove it..

Door handles seem more positive now.

Why is it you find all your drills are blunt when you need them.. Reminder must buy better drills than HSS jobber ones next time.

Just need to put door cards back today, and fix a broken clip off the window switch..

Finally decided to get my brand new set of speedlines put on.

This could be the year the car makes it out on the road :)

Edited by delfinis38

Grrr just noticed I've got a vibrating exhaust.. Must of put it back wrong.. Vibrates / rattles when in gear... Sounds like it's blowing somewhere too... It a new exhaust so not rust.. I guess from a sleeve.

The annoying thing is, it's something I can sort but, don't want too as I have a reoccurring dislocated shoulder that keeps popping out. Must get it operated on sometime... Don't want to get stuck under the car.

Might have too talk nicely to my dad or a mate to sort...

today ive been having a planning session on fitting VDO Guages

nice!

that is one item i would very much like to add to the VR

Bought a few other bits recently. New number plate light as my Perspex had gone yellow. Dual pole sender for the guage., wheel nut covers and new set of pedal rubbers even accelerator of a mk2 golf, will see how it looks and feels.

Nice wee bits.

I have done the accelerator rubber and it's spot on :thumbleft:

Assume no problems with it coming off. The top right of the peddle is shamfered so doesn't sit smug in the rubber.

been having a play in the garage at lunch time today... managed to pick up a loom and plug from VW this morning. looks nicer than the suggested female spade connectors that the wiki suggests.

managed to get three of the wires connected so I have volts and illumination at the moment.... looks like my battery is rather dead :)

pressure I guess is reading max as I've not connected up the new sender yet. i've only managed to take the headlight and grill out and feed a bit of string through to the engine bay which I will attach the wire to tomorrow. sadly now run out of time for the day.