Rams

GAZ Gold Coilovers question

Happy to report that my suspension has been sorted!

The new washer they sent fits inside the counterbore of the bearing, now the struts are at the correct height and all is well....

Rams

They are ok really, the ride is quite a bit smoother than most C's that are quite low or on coilovers.

I just need to fine tune the dampening to get the balance right now its not as low so I can enjoy some Country lanes without fearing a small pot hole will rip the sump off.

I am happy its sorted now, will take it for an alignment check as they don't charge you if no adjustment is required.

The spring rates were just what they recommended. Admittedly, I think the rears could be a bit stronger and therefore less dampening required as the difference between quite firm and really firm in the adjustments seem not so accurate or rather 1 or 2 clicks more and it feels much harder.

Does that make sense what I'm trying to say?

You got on quite with your Gaz suspension I seem to recall?

First time I fitted the suspension when lowering the car back down the spring seating itself and the clanggg it made caused a heart murmur and now its like waiting for a tyre to pop its bead. Always makes you flinch.

Yeah my Golds had good ride quality too and really good damping. It was just the quality of mine that let me down. The rears seized up within a few months and the driver's side front piston rod started shedding chrome plating! I hope you get on better with yours in that respect. I got mine back in 2006ish, so things should have improved since then.

Yeah if yours are the ones with the ally adjustment knobs on the bases of the dampers, then yep, I know what you mean re the adjustments. My V3s were the same.

My Golds didn't have helper springs for some reason, so when it was jacked up the spring fell down! Great! I ended up getting longer springs in the end, lol!

I have noticed the dampening adjustment doesn't seem to be the same on the fronts. One side turns more than the other. They can still be balanced but its always made me wonder why it is.

Didn't even think about longer springs- good idea.

What's your latest project these days?

Does it? I'd speak to Gaz about that! Mine had the same amount of clicks on each side.

In my signature mate, a MK4 R32 :)

The funny thing is, it's everything I strived to get from my Corrado in terms of handling balance and spring / damper rates. Still, I learned shed loads (as you are now) tweaking my Corrado and I loved every minute of it. Not going to go as mad on the Golf though. I definitely now know where money is best saved and spent!