VR6 Lee

Supercharger kit.

Heard you can get a supercharger kit for the corrado vr6 for 1.5k, is this true?

Had a quick look yesterday and cheapest one I could find was 3.5k from stealth

Yeah struggling to find one for my rado. None on eBay either.

Are there different kits if yeah how do they differ

Rotrex and Vortech are the main ones, Used Rotrex kits would probably be more expensive but are better chargers apparently as they give more low down grunt. My car is currently at Stealth having a Vortech stage 2 kit fitted though, which should see me nearing 300bhp which should be ample (for now)

If you havent already, you should check VR6OC and ED38 too as kits pop up for sale there every now and then too.

Just posted on there to see if anyone has one. Let me know how you find the super charger.

Where you based

Theres a guy breaking a supercharged mk3 golf vr6 in the cars for breaking section on edition 38, might be worth a look

Some people are saying that Vince from stealth advises a turbo bolt on kit which is more reliable.

Got a spare 5k

I was in a similar predicament recently.

The Stealth turbo kit is £5.5k. That cost doesn't include clutch, forged bolts, big brakes, etc etc which all adds up. I reckon the actual cost would be nearer £8-10k.

But if you have the funds, I think a turbo would win hands down :norty:

So that's 2.5k thought it would be cheaper on a sale price. Still cheaper than anywhere over in UK.

You guys should try Stealth's turbo demo car before making your decisions. You won't go anywhere near gutless Superchargers after driving that :)

It won't cost anywhere near 8-10K.

You're going about it all the wrong way. Focusing on price over everything else. You may aswell just buy an M3 then if you just want something fast. It'll certainly handle a lot better than any Corrado to boot.

You guys should try Stealth's turbo demo car before making your decisions. You won't go anywhere near gutless Superchargers after driving that :)

Vince`s car isn`t running at the moment, and he`s thinking of changing the engine to a FSI 2 Ltr

Who knows, if I'm not happy with my charger then it might be for sale over the next couple of months.

Mr. Bacon is making me regret charging my VR and I haven't even driven it yet :lol: But it came at a price low enough to take a punt on, and I don't think i'll lose much from it if I were to sell.

Vince`s car isn`t running at the moment, and he`s thinking of changing the engine to a FSI 2 Ltr

Yeah the radiator's knackered apparently. Bizarrely, that demo car seldom gets the attention it deserves but it's been beat on for years now and still reliable, which is a testament to the kit :) TFSI makes sense really. Good power, good economy, less weight over the front wheels etc but TFSIs aren't without their issues either, such as chain stretching (who'd have thought it!!) and heavy oil consumption.

Who knows, if I'm not happy with my charger then it might be for sale over the next couple of months.

Mr. Bacon is making me regret charging my VR and I haven't even driven it yet :lol: But it came at a price low enough to take a punt on, and I don't think i'll lose much from it if I were to sell.

LOL, sorry :)

I think you're using a V2 or something aren't you?! That might work out OK, but I just hated the Supercharger I had, which was a V9. It did bugger all below 4000rpm (except make loud and embarrassing noises) and it only makes the numbers on the first cold run, unless you fit an intercooler, then you lose 4psi of boost, and then there's the MAF issues, belt slip issues, the list goes on and on! I don't regret many things in my 20 year modding career, but that Supercharger is definitely one of them!

The turbo is just something else entirely. Much better power / torque curves, far sexier sounding exhaust, no mechanical whining / grinding noises and much more power from the same boost :)

A few of us started with S/Cs and moved onto Turbos, so we don't like seeing folk make the same (expensive) mistakes ;)

It's a V1, doubt it'll be too different from the V2 but I've got Vince to throw in some schimmel 263 cams for good measure. I've had numerous people tell me that VRT is the way to go... but ignorance is bliss :norty:

Who knows what the future holds ;)

The V1 is bigger and definitely better suited to the VR6 than the V9 was! Don't get me wrong, once you get to 4000rpm, it will scalp a standard VR6. It feels a bit like an M3 engine in that it just keeps pulling to the redline, very smoothly, but it's still an engine that needs to be worked to get the power out of it. To some folk that is dissapointing because the whole idea of FI is to make the VR6 feel less lazy low down, but S/Cs do nothing to improve that :)

Throwing in the cams on yours might spice it up a bit low down and Stealth's mapping has also come a long way since the early S/C days, so that might help too.