VR6 Gar

Dead thermostat?

When cruising at 70-80ish the water temp sits below 70degrees,so am thinking it is jammed open. Does this sound right?

Also the after run pump seems to have stopped working and the coolant when stuck in traffic gets high, over 100. Think the fans have also stopped coming on. Guessing I have a dead sender and am hoping the 2 are related and not a dead aux pump as well as they are costly?

70 does seem a bit low , the senders are not really expensive , the fans not coming on will be a duff sender . You may as well do all three while your at it . Before I changed mine I had the opposite in which they came on and would not switch off ,till the ignition was turned off

Probably a good call to do all 3, but will leave the black one, if the water ever got near 130 I would have stopped already.

Looks like a right pig to get to the thermostat on mine.

Its not all that bad tbh. It seats quite easily too. Valvers on the other hand are a PITA! All done from underneath removing the auxiliary belt, PAS pump, draining the whole water system and hoping you've got a good seal when its all back together! Inevitably, you never get a proper seal first time as the o-ring drops! :censored:

I have the same, have changed pretty much everythiing, starting to wonder if its part of the dash or a wire now.

Just removed the thermostat and tested it and it opens just fine in boiling water.

The housing is a bit screwed so got to get a new one tomorrow. Will put it back together with the new T'stat and see what happens.

Just removed the thermostat and tested it and it opens just fine in boiling water.

The housing is a bit screwed so got to get a new one tomorrow. Will put it back together with the new T'stat and see what happens.

Maybe its a low temp thermostat

Tested them both in a mug of water and they both seem to open at the same temp.

What else could be causing the car to run so cool as it will be constantly chucking in too much fuel when cruising?

New 'stat fitted and no change, still runs cool when cruising.

Could be because the bumper around the number plate has been removed, however the intercooler is sat infront of the rad. so not much I can do about that unless I want to compromise intake temps.

My water temp sits at just below 70C most of the time until you go into town traffic. Fans come on and go off fine when required. In discussions on here before, seems it can be normal for several/many?

Try a full plate over the grill as I think that might be something to do with it. Just checked the spec sheet and it should have a Gruven 70deg stat fitted.

Sounds like a duff yellow sender to me. It controls both the aux pump and the dash gauge. You really need VAG-COM to verify the actual temp it's running at before throwing parts at it.