VR-Sixy

Another Little Mystery

A couple of days ago, i thought i heard a ticking noise when starting up for the first time in the morning. Didn't think anything of it as it was fine over the weekend. This morning there was a definite ticking noise as i was turning the engline over. It was coming from the right of the steering wheel but i couldn't tell if it was something behind the dashboard (unlikely?) or from under the bonnet. :scratch:

While this was happening, the engine wouldn't fire, it was just turning over. When i stopped and tried a second time, the 'ticking' stopped and fired up immediately. Really at a loss as to what this could be...... wondering if anyone else has had this particular mystery and what it turned out to be.

Thanks as always.... :thumbleft:

If it turns out not to be the relays themselves, look at the ignition switch (which sends power to the whole electrical system including those relays).

Best wishes

RB

Made a point of listening really carefully starting up for the drive home from work. Not a dickie bird. Lifted the bonnet when i got home and

again, so suspicious ticking noise. Hmmmm.... curiouser and curiouser.

An ignition switch would not allow the car to turn over but not fire, the clicking is more than likely the sound of the relays trying to latch on. They are located by your right knee and forward by about a foot or so.

Off the top my head the fuel relay is number 109 and the ecu is 67 but has been superseded by a number 167. I'll check tomorrow for you.

Off the top my head the fuel relay is number 109 and the ecu is 67 but has been superseded by a number 167. I'll check tomorrow for you.
Thanks Sean. Appreciate your input.

Yeah deffo 109 - VW will have this in stock as it's used on so many cars
Hi SC, thanks for the info. Have found one on Fleabay and got it saved on my watch list. Hitting the button tommorow. Cheers for the heads up! :thumbleft:

Had a couple of days off so i finally got round to changing that 109 relay. While i was at it, i pushed home all the other relays to make

sure everything was where it should be, and guess what....... ? Yes, i still have the clicking noise! Anyone else have an idea what this might be?

When it does happen the enigine just kicks over, when the clicking stops, it fires up right away. Tres strange!!

Hard to diagnose with it being intermittent. Leave the lower shelves off, so when it next happens put a finger on each relay and it'll pinpoint if it's this or not mate.

The 167 relay would also cause the engine to fail. It's the fuel pump relay which I believe also controls the injectors. It would stop the injectors firing if there was no fuel pressure if the pump wasn't working.

The excessive clicking of the relays may NOT be caused by the relays themselves! It could mean that something is causing them to engage then disengage. My money is on the crank sensor, but could be ignition switch perhaps? If the battery is on its way out, it may make it worse as it'll weaken the signal from the crank sensor further still when starting.

Major clicking going on this morning. I took the lower shelf off a little while back to see if i could ascertain which one was causing the problem

but i couldn't feel anything at all. Tried the same this morning with the same result. I'll check the 167 relay tonight and give them all a good

clean up to see if that helps.

Well, after not being able to get to the bottom of this, and having replaced the relays 109 and 167, Senor Corrado

finally died this morning and decided he wasn't going to start. I can't feel any of the relays clicking when I turn the

engine over with my hand on the relay panel, but I can certainly hear something clicking?

Someone mentioned a crank sensor - where is this?

Cheers

Battery I reckon mate.
I only had a new battery put in earlier this year. And it turns the engine over like a good'un. It's really

not this.... promise.

Edited by VR-Sixy

Fair enough. I replied before seeing it was an older thread so hadn't seen previous replies, and I'd even posted before.......:bonk:

Fair enough. I replied before seeing it was an older thread so hadn't seen previous replies, and I'd even posted before.......:bonk:
LOLZ. It happens!! The guys from the garage are picking it up today - hopefully they'll get it sorted before the weekend.

The excessive clicking of the relays may NOT be caused by the relays themselves! It could mean that something is causing them to engage then disengage. My money is on the crank sensor, but could be ignition switch perhaps? If the battery is on its way out, it may make it worse as it'll weaken the signal from the crank sensor further still when starting.
And this gentleman wins the prize!! Turned out to be the Crank Sensor. New one fitted, fires up first time, every time. Picking him up from the doctors this evening. It'll be so good to get my Corrado back... i'm almost in tears!!

Just for future reference could you post the part number for the crank sensor please, thanks.
I'll see if i can get it from the garage.