VR6 Gar

Best options for front wishbone bushes.

In the process of renewing the tired front end and need new front wishbone bushes (front and rear) to go with my new Track rod ends I just bought.

What is the best option for a fast road car?

Thinking powerflex will be a bit crashy and I seem to remember something about R32 rear bushes? being good.

Part numbers and prices would be handy.

TIA.

I went for standard front bushes (don't have the P/N) and R32/TT rear bushes P/N 8N0407182A

2nd that^^

Genuine vw standard fronts and r32 rears is all I've ever seen recommended and its what was fitted to mine when front end was done at stealth last year.

Nice one boys, should be considerably cheaper than the £23 per bush for powerflex as well. :thumbleft:

---------- Post added at 9:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:02 PM ----------

Quick search and the part number ends in B, not A, for the correct item( 8N0407181B)

The ones that end A are for the front of the wishbone.

Now do I go Meyle or Lemforder? Only £2 price difference and I know both are highly regarded in Audi circles.

---------- Post added at 9:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:10 PM ----------

The Meyle are described as heavy duty, so thinking Lemforder.

---------- Post added at 9:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:13 PM ----------

Just found some Lemforder front bushes for £3.12 each. Seems very cheap!

I would go with VW for bushes, mounts etc. False economy to go for pattern parts IMHO. The R32 bushes are great by the way!

On my last car I went for Powerflex front and R32 rear in the wishbones and it certainly made a difference, can't say I found it crashy though.

Ian.

I went for new wishbones with the bushes already fitted, at £37 a side it's cheaper than labour to fit new ones...

I would go with VW for bushes, mounts etc. False economy to go for pattern parts IMHO. The R32 bushes are great by the way!

Totally agree with you here, however Lemforder are OE spec and also the OE supplier to Merc so are of excellent quality.

If they fall apart in a years time I will say I was warned but chose to ignore it anyway as I have just ordered Lemforder R32 back and standard fronts.

---------- Post added at 6:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:20 PM ----------

How much of a job is this?

Just a case of undo the 2 wishbone bolts, ARB drop link bolt and 3 outer ball joint bolts?

Or will I need to start messing with the suspension as well?

That's all there is to do! Easy, My local garage charged £40 to press out the old stuff and press the new bushes in. I also got my wishbones blasted and powder coated as they were out and I wasn't using the car.

Might need to do this on mine soon. What are the correct part numbers for the wishbone rear bushes? Also, is it feasible to do them on the car or should the wishbones be removed?

Might need to do this on mine soon. What are the correct part numbers for the wishbone rear bushes? Also, is it feasible to do them on the car or should the wishbones be removed?

Hasan,

I bought two 8N0407181B from VW in 2012 for the wishbone rears, 17.20 +VAT each. Poly bushed the fronts.

Cheers

Tony

Wishbone would need to be removed and old bushes pressed out. It is possible to do this at home with some circular hole drill cutters to press out (see youtube

).

I've gone for the R32/LCR bush upgrade (to be fitted in june). These are solid rubber rather than the originals that have cut outs in the bush, not a still as poly but a supposed upgrade on any non LCR/R32 car where the bush is the same size.

Part No Meyle (HD) 100 407 0073/HD about 12 quid each

Useful details thanks. Whilst we're there what other bushes are worth replacing atvthe same time?

Useful details thanks. Whilst we're there what other bushes are worth replacing atvthe same time?

Good question, I should have elaborated on my reply - as you're taking the wishbone off you'll probably need to crack off the ball joint and anti-roll bar drop links - so you'd may as well replace these too. You can get complete wishbone arms with the new bushes fitted. Might be an easier way to tackle, but you'll probably not find one with the R32 bushes pre-installed.

I was going to do the job and analysed it in some detail but decided to let the garage do it with some other work as my driveway slopes making it difficult to get both wheels on the front axle at the same time. I wanted to replace the ARB bushes and both wheels needed to be off the ground to do it.