Jim

Advice on painting a Corrado..

Cash deal no vat ? Money is tight with everyone ATM . When I had mine done they did it in the evenings and weekends , I avoided the dreaded vat and they got a nice lump some tax free to enjoy . Oh if anyone on here works for the revenue , this didn't really happen , I just made it up , in fact what am I saying I don't even own a corrado .

I think I will cancel the original place and see about options to just treat the rust to keep it running longer.

Thing with dumping 3k on a respray.. The car isn't getting any younger (about 700 miles shy of 190k!!) and who knows what engine issues are just round the corner. I could blow the respray money and end up needing engine work a month later.

Keep the money, buy a house. Run the car into the ground. :lol:

That's an awful thing to say Baz :rolleyes: Make's sense though.

saying go for it on a 3k respray on a 190k car which might then be worth 2.5-3k seems a bit daft.

if i have to say something silly i instead vote for: sell car - £1500? + £3k and make an offer on this.. http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=493360 :bonk:

That sound's like a plan Baz i was only saying go for it because it was coming across in Jim's post's that he wanted to paint the car.Only thing that put's me off that car is the interior pic's are from 2007.

Hi Jim,

I get the feeling from your post that you have decided what you want to do!

I guess the sensible thing to do is to buy the best house you can afford with a good garage as one of the previous posts said. I guess fixed rate mortgages will not be around at the current low rates for ever. A house should also be an appreciating asset as well.

When my old 16 valver was about 10 years old (circa 2000) it needed some bodywork doing after being hit in a Birmingham car park. I went to 2 bodyshops for quotes one went all over the car and quoted £3000.00 I got a quote from a body shop in Bidford on Avon, recommended by Listers in Stratford. I can not remember their name,(but Bidford is small) quoted £500 to do an acceptable job. If Listers were sending people there I figured that they must do a reasonable job.

I guess there may also be options to sort the bodywork issues, buy good wings and doors painted in the right colour from a breaker. I did find a breaker in Sharlow who broke Corrados and then sold the bits, unfortunately his details were on my old mobile that spectacularly failed, I could find him again if needed. Wings (£50.00 for a wing) are reasonably easy to change, doors are not too difficult with two people and you could then do a budget related spray work or tackle the job yourself to keep the rust at bay, until funds improve.

When I parted with the valver I also took three or four other facts into consideration, the engine had 170000 miles on it and the big ends had gone. I also needed a reliable daily driver as I now had a 85 mile round trip to work, and now married and we had 2 labradors that could not go in the corrado comfortably.

Let me know if you would like me to track any of these people down.

Keep the money, buy a house. Run the car into the ground. :lol:

I agree, although the running it into the ground sounds a tad harsh, I like to look at it as keeping it on the roads! , Its what I would of done if I hadn't resprayed mine, I basically just wouldn't care that much about it , the 24v conversion + audi door handles certainly wouldn't of been done!, but idd enjoy it for what it is regardless of paint condition, keep the car on the roads and use it as you had planned too, atleast you can park it anywhere and really not worry about it getting keyed or dinged, if you sold it you would only end up with a car that will probably need money throwing at it + chances are it wont look or feel anywhere near as sweet as a corrado even with some rust scabs, p.s make sure this house a sweet garage or shed ;)

Some good thoughts in this thread - it's appreciated, and I think only galvanises my thoughts. Sinking 3k into a respray would be lunacy. I may do some investigation over the coming weeks on just - keeping the rust at bay and now just accepting that my car isn't going to ever be some kind of show car ever again. I think I can live with that and am just happy enough with having one as a cool, unusual daily driver!

And thanks for the info Hatton VR6 - information on that bodyshop would be useful! :)

Edited by Jim

Have you thought about any of these smart repair places? I know there's a guy near me who works out of a van (think Chips-away kind of service) who is able to do the rust/damage repair as well as the paint match etc just using a pop up booth.

Ok it's never going to be as good as a full bodyshop respray but I've heard the results he gets are pretty good even with metallic paint.

This is the route I'll be taking on the R32, just to tidy for now and worry about a full respray later

Paid £900 for mine to be done, not a full job as the roof and tail gate were not painted.... You can get a full paint for a grand which would be a good job but when your talking about rust nobody can see how bad it is until you grind it back.....

Personally I would not put any money back into your car, prices have dropped and really nice corrados can be had for 3k. Sensible thing would be to sell yours or even break it to get back the most money and buy something else,you can still be part of the club and attended shows as you already do that now.

I intend on keeping mine for a long time and slowly doing it up and even then I dont think £3k would be near what I would pay for a respray. Again its all relative to the cars cost IMO.

Mine has a few bits needing done, a few bumper scrapes etc but Ive just treated it and touched it in as best I could. I find that better as with new paint you will be over protective.

Thanks mate.

Tempest and I are going to have an initial look at trying to treat some of the rust, over at his place in the next week or so. Might help take the pressure off a little in the mean time. I also cancelled the respray with the body shop!

I do have the option of a few places up and down the country but ideally wanted to stay local purely for logistics. Doing the whole car would be preferred (including windows out, etc) but it's just a question of priority - I love my car but it's been a financial priority for years and I need to start thinking about other priorities I think.. so not going crazy.

I mean if I could find a place that would do the whole car, well, windows out for 2k then I would seriously consider it I guess as another £500 wouldn't break the bank.

Jim,that's about what i was quoted for a full respray windows out and replacing sill and rear wheel arch and door. This from more of a restorer rather than a normal everday panel beater. Just need to find a sill and rear arch!

Well a slight change to plans after all.

So I cancelled that respray. I then decided that, as he offered, Tempest and I would have a go at DIY tackling the rust on my car. At the time I accepted that it probably wouldn't look pretty but would at least keep it at bay for a while. The products to do the job were supposed to turn up yesterday and didn't and I realised that I think I'd like to spend a little more money to tidy the car up a bit professionally. Popped over to see Tempest's bodyshop guy in Nuneaton and came away with a far more realistic quote to just sort out the rusty bits in such a way as to keep it at bay for a couple of years and I can then decide a bit later on what my longer term plans are for the car :)

So hopefully a bit of a win/win situation. I don't get my wallet emptied, and I just buy myself a bit more time!

Good news buddy! Did you ask them to quote you for the same work the other lot quoted you 3k for? You never know, it may be very reasonable and there's nothing better than a recommend from someone like Eric who's paintwork is immaculate!

I got the impression that the other guys didn't want to put their name to a car unless they could make it exactly how they wanted it...

Sounds like the best plan. Would be interested to know who the bodyshop is as if other corrado owners are happy with them I would like to talk to them about the A pillars.