Jim

Crash! Bang! Wallop! Corrado @ The Nürburgring ...

Often while away the evenings watching these video compilations of track action at the Nürburgring. Unfortunately someone is trying a bit too hard in their Corrado and ends up stoving it in pretty badly!

Start at about 1:15, and what looks like a Corrado goes flying over the crest of that hill WAY too fast before you hear a lot of tyre squealing in the distance followed by a shunt. They then follow it up with the actual video of it crashing. Ouch!

Ouch!! lol I bet that made him cry :-D ive been watching a few myself and I saw one with 2 guys takin a spin around the track and it got me thinking I need to do it. Ill prob check out rockingham at some point as some mates used to go in their Hondas. Thinkin of selling my rado and getting a cleaner one with leathers and ideally a turbo version. Id love to take one of those around a track.

Eek! And this is why I don't want to lap the 'ring...

Looked like a rollcage in the back so it's probably not quite as bad as it looks - at least as far as shell damage goes. They might want to get the ABS working before next time though! :eek:

Stone

Not good, I thought for a moment he was going to get away with that, but of course the second he hit the grass - no traction what so ever.

I do think it could have been a whole lot worse, but mega upsetting none the less.

I think what's fairly shocking is you think he's scrubbed off most of the speed when he's going sideways, but then when he hits the barrier you realise he really hasn't!

Is that bit called Flugplatz?

That's the hill leading up to Adenau Forst which can be a very fast section of track as you carry a lot of speed down the long downhill section after the corner at Aremberg before climbing that hill. There's several small corners on the downhill but if you get it right without any traffic you can apex every corner in a straight line, by the time you get to the bottom you really are travelling and then it starts to climb up just where the Corrado first came into view, hence why it looked like it was going some - because it was! The right hander where it hit the barrier switches into a blind uphill left hander and I have a picture of my 8V (pre TDi) on three wheels there :-)

It's normally Adenau Forst itself which catches folk out but I would hazard a guess that that's a local driver who knows the track fairly well given the speed he was travelling at!

Big shame though :-(

I rather liked the last one...with the roof box!

Can someone explain why you would do that!!??

OUCH, he was pushing it though!! Did anyone notice the Purple BMW 3 Series right at the end with more bodyroll than overloaded camper van!!! Would hate to have him near me on the track!!! Amazing variety of cars though.............................and quite crowded too!!

Ouch!! lol I bet that made him cry :-D ive been watching a few myself and I saw one with 2 guys takin a spin around the track and it got me thinking I need to do it. Ill prob check out rockingham at some point as some mates used to go in their Hondas. Thinkin of selling my rado and getting a cleaner one with leathers and ideally a turbo version. Id love to take one of those around a track.

Trackdays are fun until you overcook it and your pride and joy starts spinning towards a barrier. Its the worst feeling in the world not knowing if you'll hit it or not.

That's nothing, check this out -

Crazy fools didn't wear seat belts back then!

Ouch! Some really nasty accidents there. ANd it seems like most 911's of that era were more stable going backwards.

As an aside I remember sitting in the front passenger seat of my dad's old Cortina in the early 70's and didn't wear a seatbelt.

It shows how much car safety has improved with all those cars from the 70's literally falling to bits on impact. It's one of the reasons I won't go on a track day in the Corrado.