Sign in to follow this  
coolrado

(not) GOOD VIBRATIONS

i wonder if anyone can help i have a 91 g60 only had it a few months. i have just replaced all three engine mounts as the rear one broke loose and the engine was trying to escape every time i accelerated. but a couple of weeks later i have started getting vibration through the chassis under hard acceleration at first i thought it might have been the exhaust rubbing but i have checked it and there is plenty of clearence it also comes and goes, when it happens if i let off the throttle and then quickly re apply it the vibration stops

seems to do it more when hot.

[edit - decapped]

With the oil temp at a reasonable level follow these steps:

Loosen the top bolts/nuts slightly on all 3 mounts...

With the bonnet open, start the engine and rev hard a few times so that the engine moves about on the slightly loose mounts(hence the warm oil temp and the open bonnet! ;) )

Now turn off the engine, and re-tighten the bolts/nuts you loosened.

This will have now centralised your engine on all 3 mounts.

Try that and see if it's improved things... 8)

cheers but i have allready done that when i chaged them following advice on the forum :)

it does feel more like something rubbing, the vibration echoes through the car quite a lot someone said it could be a wheel bearing but i have jacked it up and there dosnt seem to be any play in them. i sounds the same as when the exhaust was knocking on the rear suspension beam when i first had the car and i carried passengers in the back but i have checked that too it hasnt moved since i re adjusted it with advice from the forum again :) plus i have replaced the hangers which had no effect. you can feel the viration through the steering wheel quite a lot as well recently had wheels balanced too still no effect gettin confused now hope its not something thats going to go bang :roll:

a mate who used to be a vw mechanic told me it could be the damper springs on the clutch have collapsed and i am getting vibration from the engine directly through the drive shafts :?: there does seem to be a bit of slack when i pull away sometimes and the clutch has started juddering recently when it gets hot does this sound right :?: or is he talking bo**ocks