Portent

Where are they all?

Just back from a weeks trip from Surrey to Norfolk and back and didn't see a single Corrado the whole time. This was in the height of summer in just the weather you'd expect someone to be out in a second car. But none. I drove several hundred miles all in, covering a lot of Norfolk. But none. Zip. Nada.

They be rare beasts now :(

** I was in the Golf so shame on me too - but sadly the Corrado can't touch the 46mpg average I was getting with the GTI :(

Edited by Portent

You say that but, after telling everyone how rare they are, the first day I drove my new C to work I passed 2 on the way home! Then yesterday I was at a wedding telling someone about the car and they said 'oh yeah cool a Corrado, is it the one in the car park?' Mine was tucked up at home but sure enough there was one in the car park of the hotel, ven had the same wheels as me!

** I was in the Golf so shame on me too - but sadly the Corrado can't touch the 46mpg average I was getting with the GTI :(

Maybe its this? I'm also off to Norfolk for a week soon and would love to take the Corrado but unfortunately the practicality if taking 2 adults and 2 children with a weeks worth of luggage means we will be going in the Mondeo Estate!

Other than a couple of local ones who are fairly regular spots and going to shows, I've not seen any out an about for a while...

I do think they are getting thin on the ground now. You will get bizarre occurances like Borarobs above (I saw two different Corrados in the same petrol station on two consecutive days last year) but I do a lot of miles as a lorry driver all over the country and I've probably seen at the most ten in the last year. Also you only have to look at the number you see at shows to see they just don't seem to be out there anymore.

I have to say though I prefer it like that as people who know what they are seem genuinely pleased to see you driving one. My MKII never got anywhere near the same level of attention as my Corrado does. I even had a very tidy looking lady in a white A4 convertible give me a wave on the M25 the other day, which was nice :D

It is sad but then again with so few left I'm hoping that they are in the hands of caring owners who want to keep them in as high a standard as possible.

Even rarer is seeing a G60 on the road that is actually still a G60 and isn't running a 20vT or some other non corrado lump!

Im using my Corrado on holidays.. but I live in Sweden :)

Next year me and my girlfriend are going on a 3 weeks road trip. Hope you will see us then and maybe think twice about leaving your Corrado at home.

They are around in Norfolk and Suffolk, I've seen 2 this weekend and mine should be back on the road next weekend and at the snet car park for the touring cars

I'm gonna stick my head on the line here. Unlike say the mk2 Golf, Corrados just don't have the Uk (and international) following. They were always the quirky cousin to the mk2 and due to this, never received the following which they deserved. As a result, values have plummeted and if owners have a ropey one, they seem to lean towards breaking it, rather than repairing. I remember only 5 ish years ago on here that the mentality was if someone suggested they were going to break their C for parts, members would question it. Now the general feeling is that it'll help out owners with parts, and make the remaining cars that little bit more unique.

Now don't get me wrong, I love Corrados. I've owned 2 in the past and have had an interest in them for 13+ years. After owning valvers, I always fancied a VR, and started to look properly about 12 months ago. Then, without warning, a Vr converted mk2 Golf appeared on the radar and it ticked every box for me (apart from the fact it wasn't a Corrado!). I've also owned mk2 Golfs in the past.

The result is a car which gets looks absolutely everywhere I go, sounds fantastic, pulls like a train and feels pretty special. The fact that everybody who chats to me about it loves mk2's is just a bonus. I don't think I've found one person yet who hasn't smiled when they've had a proper look, listen or outing in it. The feeling I get with it is the same feeling I had with my first valver Corrado years ago - people stopped in their tracks then, too.

Anyway, here's the car in question:

attachment.php?attachmentid=75146&stc=1&d=1375019794

I just can't see myself selling the mk2 for the foreseeable. I love it. However, IF I did, and only IF, I would consider looking at Corrado VR6's once again. The side profile and rear (oo'er missus ;)) are a beautiful design. The front end never quite worked for me, but the rest of the design more than makes up for it. If I did look for a VR Corrado, I could see myself aiming for something like this (yes, I know it's a G60 - in fact it was a 200bhp G60 apparently)...

attachment.php?attachmentid=75147&stc=1&d=1375019836

All I can finish with saying really, is look after what you've got, and keep on enjoying the smile factor!

Yep it's sad as more and more get broken up for parts every week and the number of good condition road worthy Corrados keeps going into free fall until only the strongest will survive! I don't mind at all though, it's always great when people do a double take and have a good old stare!

It is amazing that even the youngest cars are now almost 20 years old.

Just back from a weeks trip from Surrey to Norfolk and back and didn't see a single Corrado the whole time. This was in the height of summer in just the weather you'd expect someone to be out in a second car. But none. I drove several hundred miles all in, covering a lot of Norfolk. But none. Zip. Nada.

They be rare beasts now :(

Think you kinda answered your own question! Most seem to run them as second cars now, limiting the amount of miles/smiles means there aren't as many spots as there should/could be (evern accounting for all the broken/scrapped examples). Though, my first and second cars are Corrado VRs, so attempting to do my bit for the 'spotted' thread, largely to no avail!..

Regarding fuel economy, 30s on a run is easily achievable still in both cars, chuck some Roofbars on and it becomes superbly practical for Roofboxes/Bikes/Fence Panels/ Xmas Trees etc

Im using my Corrado on holidays.. but I live in Sweden :)

Next year me and my girlfriend are going on a 3 weeks road trip. Hope you will see us then and maybe think twice about leaving your Corrado at home.

Hoping to take mine to Wörthersee next year :)

I'm gonna stick my head on the line here. Unlike say the mk2 Golf, Corrados just don't have the Uk (and international) following. They were always the quirky cousin to the mk2 and due to this, never received the following which they deserved. As a result, values have plummeted and if owners have a ropey one, they seem to lean towards breaking it, rather than repairing. I remember only 5 ish years ago on here that the mentality was if someone suggested they were going to break their C for parts, members would question it. Now the general feeling is that it'll help out owners with parts, and make the remaining cars that little bit more unique.

Now don't get me wrong, I love Corrados. I've owned 2 in the past and have had an interest in them for 13+ years. After owning valvers, I always fancied a VR, and started to look properly about 12 months ago. Then, without warning, a Vr converted mk2 Golf appeared on the radar and it ticked every box for me (apart from the fact it wasn't a Corrado!). I've also owned mk2 Golfs in the past.

The result is a car which gets looks absolutely everywhere I go, sounds fantastic, pulls like a train and feels pretty special. The fact that everybody who chats to me about it loves mk2's is just a bonus. I don't think I've found one person yet who hasn't smiled when they've had a proper look, listen or outing in it. The feeling I get with it is the same feeling I had with my first valver Corrado years ago - people stopped in their tracks then, too.

Anyway, here's the car in question:

I just can't see myself selling the mk2 for the foreseeable. I love it. However, IF I did, and only IF, I would consider looking at Corrado VR6's once again. The side profile and rear (oo'er missus ;)) are a beautiful design. The front end never quite worked for me, but the rest of the design more than makes up for it. If I did look for a VR Corrado, I could see myself aiming for something like this (yes, I know it's a G60 - in fact it was a 200bhp G60 apparently)...

All I can finish with saying really, is look after what you've got, and keep on enjoying the smile factor!

That's interesting - almost the exact opposite of my experience. My MKII was mint, in a very rare colour and had some very rare and sought after bits and no-one really looked twice whereas whenever I stop for petrol, nip down the shops etc I get people stopping for a chat...

The coupes always seem to be the poor relation,

just look at the rocco against the mk1 golf

the rado against the mk2 & 3 Golf (although mk3s seem to be broken up in larger quantities)

and now the rocco again against the mk5, 6 and 7 golfs

I'd love a new rocco but I have a mk5 golf

I saw a perfectly good rado g60 get broken the other day cos the guy had used the engine in a mk1 and had lost the will to put another engine in the rado,

it was black with no to very little rust and a full heated, electric cream leather recaro interior

upsetting...

The coupes always seem to be the poor relation,

just look at the rocco against the mk1 golf

the rado against the mk2 & 3 Golf (although mk3s seem to be broken up in larger quantities)

and now the rocco again against the mk5, 6 and 7 golfs

I'd love a new rocco but I have a mk5 golf

I saw a perfectly good rado g60 get broken the other day cos the guy had used the engine in a mk1 and had lost the will to put another engine in the rado,

it was black with no to very little rust and a full heated, electric cream leather recaro interior

upsetting...

True enough. In 1995 I bought a mk3 Golf after almost buying a Corrado and in 2012 I bought a mk6 Golf instead of a Scirocco.

In the past week I've done nearly 700 miles. Harrogate, Edinburgh, South Lakes. Didn't expect to see any Corrados, but one (very clean example ) rolled past me in the centre of Edinburgh. To say I was chuffed is an understatement. The car performed faultlessly along some of the best driving roads I have have ever been on. An absolute joy to behold. And the MPG, well that seemed to wobble around the 45 to 47 mark.

So for all those who think the Corrado is a poor relation in the VW household, I shake my head in your general direction.

And all this fun in what some also consider the poor relation within the Corrado family.

All hail the mighty eight valve !

well said James, the 8v is a pretty relentless engine with reliability wise which probably favours your point.

Fingers crossed mine will be back on the road within a few months and I'll be driving it as much as possible.

That said Leyland all comers VW gathering this weekend just gone didn't have a single show from a corrado, mainly vans etc only a handful of older GTI's too