smithy21

wiring fault. please help!!!!

hi all, need some help please, when working the headlight switch it lights up on the side lights but when switched to dip beam the green light on the switch goes out but the dip beam works. would disconnecting the resistor for the dim dip headlights help. (mines a 1993 2.0L 16v and dont accualy know if one is fitted) when you turn on the side lights it takes a while to light up, as if someone is working a dimmer switch lol. also, when you take a test light to the wires at the back of the head lamp switch, on dip beam all the wires are live! some lights it up brighter than other wires :/

are the dip beam lights ment to be on the same time as the full beam lights. i thought they were ment to be individual. could this be a relay causing this? and what relay is the full beam and dip beam??

next fault..... my abs light doesn't light up atall when the ignition is turned on. its ment to come on then go off but nothing. i took the switch apart and found the bulb had blown :/ its a 14v bulb thats fitted, its a tiny little thing with two wires out the end of it. i measured the voltage accross the bulb. when you turn the ignition on it has a quick peak to 16v then back to 14v would this be enough to blow the bulb :/ if so what could be causing this to peak at 16 v? it takes seconds to go up to 16 and back to 14v. i dont want to go buyin a new lamp unit for it to blow again as soon as i plug it in.

someone please help???

Hello there,

my head light switch only lights up green when sides are on,

then goes off once the dip beam is on so as far as I know this is normal on the Corrado.

When you say it takes a while for the sides lights to light up when turned on,

is this when the engine is running or when your Corrado is parked up with engine off ?

The side lights should be wired up in series which means,

if you have a blown fuse for the lights it will course them not to work on one side of the car,

really depends on which fuse had blown if any so to speak.

But I've had bad connections & bad earths in the past with very similar symptoms as what you're having with your side lamps.

Yes the dip beam and main beam are individual, so once the dip beam is on the mains should be off,

until of course the left steering wheel stork is applied to switch the mains on and the dips should go off then.

This could be a fault with the column stork or as you have already said the relay could be sticking.

I would check the relays first and then go from there. could also be a earth problem.

Don't forget that on the Corrado you can have return earths that also change to power when the circuit is switched,

when it passes through a relay or control unit.

Fuse 1 = (Dip Beam Left) Yellow / Black wire

Fuse 2 = (Dip Beam Right) Yellow wire

Fuse 11 = (Main Beam Left) White / Black wire

Fuse 12 = (Main Beam Right) White wire

The head light relay I think is relay 53 the one on the left, as there are two with 53 on them next to each other,

the one on the right with 53 is for the horns I think.

There might be a relay as well with 108 or 110 on it this might be for the head lights as well ?

What you can do is switch the ignition on flick the head lights on & off,

and listen to which relays are clicking you may have to put your fingers on them to 100% find the correct relay,

this is what I do when I don't have a wiring diagram.

I think there is a resistor for the head lights,

I believe it is attached to the N/S/F wing just in front of the battery just behind the head lamp.

Your head lights may well still work if you disconnect the resistor,

as the resistor I think is to stop the head light bulbs from blowing,

you know to stop the voltage / resistance from becoming to high so to speak.

Your ABS issue regarding the bulb,

most 12v bulbs are able to take a few more volts,

as the electrical system as you know on a car,

can go from 11.5 volts up to 14.5 volts or above if the charging regulator is faulty.

So the 14v bulb should be ok if the voltage goes up to 16v for a split second or to.

The ABS sensor switch in the dash is about £85.00 to £100.00 new from VW,

so yeah you should be able to purchase a replacement 14v bulb hopefully, but make sure it is a proper automotive bulb,

as these can take the fluctuation in voltage as the alternator is charging.

Plus don't forget that the ABS sensor switch is checking the ABS system pressure so there is bound to be a small fluctuation in voltage I think,

this is when the car is started up and the ABS light flickers or stays on for 6 to 10 seconds.

There is one thing that can course the voltage to shoot up a little and that is a short circuit somewhere in the system,

which can blow fuses or in some cases a bulb.

Hope this helps.

Si :thumbleft:

Pretty sure I might have some ABS bulbs in my garage from when I soldered a new one on my board.

You can get them from RS Components, but quantities of 20.