Roger Chatfield

Rog's Rado... The smile is back :)

Little update... well I'm a good 300 odd miles since replacing the big end shells, all seems fine so far. (fingers crossed)

So I've had a few days off work and what with the weather being so nice I thought I'd get a few jobs done.

First on the list, fit my BMC...

I know most people use the tensioner tension wind off hole to mount their BMC support bracket but it didn't look right for me so I made a little bracket from some scrap aluminium I had kicking about.

IMG_4455_zpsc81708c4.jpg

Bracket mounted on the tensioner.

IMG_4456_zps66f3b336.jpg

And finally, BMC installed.

IMG_4457_zps69a574ee.jpg

Chuffed to bits with it, the induction roar at WOT is awesome...

Next job, install a Bluetooth adapter for my JVC stereo.

I decided to install it in the spare switch slot next to the light switch so I made a backing plate from some plastic I had kicking about (actually a Renault Scenic under tray)

IMG_4459_zps8de0919e.jpg

IMG_4460_zpscdca624b.jpg

Really pleased with it, the location is ideal, the mic picks up sound ok and when driving its hidden from view behind the steering wheel so does not distract you.

It's an awesome bit of kit, not only does it allow handsfree use of your phone including voice dialing but I can also stream my music via it.

Also managed to fit my Heko wind deflectors (many thanks to Rob for picking these up for me)

IMG_4463_zpsf04a301d.jpg

Really easy to fit, literately took two minutes to fit each side, I used a little bit of double sided tape to secure them.

Also managed to install the heater back light kit that arrived today, pics to follow when its dark...lol

and finally... I fitted a Trimsport half sized storm badge to the front..

IMG_4461_zps47b20f9c.jpg

IMG_4462_zpsdc12f2cc.jpg

All in all a good day.

Rog.

Edited by Roger Chatfield

Looking good Rog like a bit of self bracketry I've got a couple to do myself badge look's good too :cool:

Good job on the bracket batman! Love the Hekos too. Got a sneak preview of the Trimsport Badge the other week, looks spot on as well mate. Nice when things go to plan on a glorious day like today! :cool:

Got a sneak preview of the Trimsport Badge the other week, looks spot on as well mate.

It fell off mate... I was well gutted until I spotted it on the garage floor a few days later... its glued on good and proper this time.. ;)

Rog.

Nice work bud , nice to see you today , if only for a few minutes . We had all the family there so I couldn't stay n talk cars lol . BMC sounds nice mate , all the kids said it sounds great , they wound the windows down to hear you pull away !

Rob

Well old 'stormy' has been behaving well, 500 mile round trip to national day and a 200 mile trip to Bristol volksfest and (touch wood) no problems... so for being so good I treated the old girl to a 2nd hand Mk3 sunroof motor.

£14 from the 'bay', ten minutes fitting time and I'm now enjoying 'wind in your (remaining) hair' motoring... result..

IMG_11211_zps16c99f1b.jpg

Rog.

Ah , now I see what your saying . When you text me I thought you were saying, found this as you need one ! . Good find for the dough mate .

Loving all the little things you're getting done on the car Rog 8) Good work with the sunroof.

Yep, it passed, a few advisories, both rear wheel bearings, both front mac struts have movement at the top and near side track rod end, to be fair he showed me the tre and it's had it but my box of Jaffa cakes bribe changed it from a fail to an advisory...lol... He knows I'll do it and I'll get them to track it for me... So I've bought both ends, might as well both together.

That's the good news, now the bad..

It look like the engine is on borrowed time, oil pressure is low (0.5 bar at idle) and the oil is running hot, I Saw 128 today and I think it's knocking again...... Just what I need, the boss is already giving me grieve for the money I spent overhauling the cooling system...

Rog.

Stupid question but have you replaced the oil pump Rog? Knocking noises, low pressure, and high oil temperature (poor circulation I guess?) - surely it's a strong contender for being to blame?

Ah bugger, Not good news.

The block in my breaker was rebuilt in 2005 about 10 000 miles ago. Needs taking out as I don't have an engine crane but it's yours should you want it. No cams fitted so would need them or the head from yours swapping across.

Congrats on pass , but the engine news is a bummer Rog . Out of interest where did you get the track rod ends ? Tps told me they had sold out , got a price from heritage , but in the end I ordered all the underside parts from vedubmachine . If you need a hand on anything and I'm free I will gladly give you a hand mate .

Gutted for you mate. Worth sticking the other lump in? Just tell the missus you want to take it off the road for the winter to preserve it, and put a new lock on the garage! That way you can do it slow time and she'll be none the wiser! :twisted:

Just reading up on oil pump issues, they apparently do cause all the symptoms you're describing. Just reading a random page which describes the issues thusly:

* Low oil pressure (check)

* Increased engine operating temperature (check)

* Noise

Again - just wanted to know if you've changed it yet? I don't believe they're mega money from VW if you can stomach having the sump off the motor again? :) Has to be worth a punt rather than ripping out the engine and having to swap over so many other parts.

Yes, I think I will Rob, just priced up a pump and found one for £65, although I've done a deal with Gareth and it looks like 'Stormy' will probably end up with a new (ish) engine... :)

BTW got my TRE's from GSF, 8 odd quid each.

Rog.

Edited by Roger Chatfield

Nice one mate good news on the engine . Mine were about the same price , never had any problems with vedubmachine parts , they are proberbly the same anyway .