anubis

ABS Issues

Hey Guys,

I've got an issue with the ABS in the VR6. Every now and again, usually at low speeds, thankfully, something (presumably the ABS system) will make a kind of deep buzzing sound for a few seconds. Any time I press the brakes around the time this is happening, they are very slow to work, with the pedal being jittery in the extreme (but different to the regular ABS on/off pedal feedback under heavy braking). The ABS light has been coming on at intermittent intervals for some time now, before this problem started, but the mechanic I take it too couldn't see anything wrong with the ABS last time he looked.

Any thoughts or experience appreciated.

Cheers, Ben

....I had a search on the forum, but couldn't see anything similar.

Have a look at the condition of the wheel sensors and the reluctor rings on the front hubs and rear disks. Clean off any rust and look for cracks and splits in the rings

Have a look at this Thread link.

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=56738

Like KEV BACON say's it could be a faulty ABS Pedal Position sensor,

they can make the pedal judder when the ABS ECU can't read where the pedal is due to faulty sensor.

You don't normally feel any judder from the pedal if one of the ABS hub speed sensors has gone,

it just brings on the ABS warning light.

Any judder from the pedal under 15 to 12 MPH is normal, but if you feel it at higher speeds then you've got a fault.

Some times small metal rusty filings can stick to the sensor face like DOX has said and earth out on the ABS rotation ring,

which can and does some times bring the ABS warning light on intermittently.

But like the other chaps have said you really need to connect your car to a diagnostic scanner if poss,

it should always show any fault as long as the ECU has logged an error code for the fault in question.

Hope this helps.

Si

The system goes through a test sequence at about 10mph when the car moves off from having switched on the ignition; you can feel this through the floor as a short (about a second or less) burst of vibration. Is this what you mean? If so, "they all do that, Sir". But obviously the light coming on needs further investigation.

Best wishes

RB