Sign in to follow this  
Robbo149

Lightened flywheel - VR6

Some good information there (apart from getting rid of air con!!! i'd prefer to turn up to my meetings crisp and cool rather than all damp from sweat to be honest)

i think it was asked earlier but are there any links to places to buy the lightened fly wheel and pulley stuff?

Yep spot on Henny. Alternators sap power big time. The more 'luxuries' you switch on, the more power the alternator requires to turn it as it's effectively a large dyno.

Incidentally, the underdrive pulleys are carefully calculated to give you a minimal loss of charging ability and I've not known anyone to suffer from a flat battery from using a bigger pulley. Alternators are designed to produce more than what's actually needed anyway for contingency.

Nathan, http://www.turn2usa.com

K

Yep spot on Henny. Alternators sap power big time. The more 'luxuries' you switch on, the more power the alternator requires to turn it as it's effectively a large dyno.

Anyone got any experience of those WOT-auto-alternator-bypass systems?

Seem to remember seeing a kit somewhere once that basically consisted of some honking big relays controlled by a electronic brain that would just basically switch the alternator out of circuit on wide-open-throttle only, claiming to liberate some of those ponies :-) Obviously you would still have the mechanical drag of the alternator, but without an electrical load this should be small...

Anyone?

p1ss easy. all you need to do is hook up a system that breaks the 12v blue wire tot he alternator when you hit WOT. job sorted.

p1ss easy. all you need to do is hook up a system that breaks the 12v blue wire tot he alternator when you hit WOT. job sorted.

Phat would you say a basic 12v relay wired up in the correct form would sort this out?? bit like a NOS kit which comes on at WOT???

Would this also mean the RED battery led inside the car would come on???

hmm, not usre if the light would com on or not, I guess it would. it's on the same circuit though, so it may be turned off too? not sure on that one really.

if you disconnect the blue wire, the red light on the dash WILL come on... that's what it's for, to let you know that the alternator isn't charging, and that's what you are doing by creating this kit... :roll: :lol:

This would be a bit of a liability at night! Full headlights on, heaters etc etc, you disconnect the alternator, what happens? Weak spark! Probably lose power as a result, not a great idea on the whole, IMHO.

Would you feel an extra 5hp at 6000+ though?

I suppose if you use the lightened flywheel, pulleys and Alternator cut-out together, you should feel that I reckon!

Renault are currenty developing some cool stuff. Twin scroll turbos and pulley-less engines. Charging current is produced from a dyno inside the flywheel, which also acts as a starter-motor and can also act as an electric motor at speeds less than 25mph, to save on fuel. It's a 24V system too and the water pump, PAS, Air con etc etc will all be electrically driven.

No cambelt or chain pulleys either as the valves are solenoid driven. I think BMW have currently got a similar setup called Valvetronic.

K

There's a sytem calles Alterpower, or somethinglike that which the touring car teams used. that basically does this job.

It's got to be worth it, Grant Motorsport swears by the electric power steering pumps.

Yeah I agree, the fewer mechanical accessories, the better!

Have Grant commented on how the electric PAS pump affects the general feel of the steering?

K