Jim Bowen

Windscreen replacement, what would you do?

Windscreen needs doing, needed it for a while, but recent chips have meant i finally have to get it done.

Is a local windscreen guy who is meant to be really good, have rang him up and talked to him and he sounds like he will make a good job, treating any rust etc.

He is quoting £395 to do the job, using a pilkington screen. He isn't a approved fitter with my insurance company so i end up paying £295 of that, basically insurance give £100.

If i use insurance it will cost me £90 but i don't know what fitter i'll get and fear it getting rushed or bodged.

Am mostly decided i'll pay the £295.

I did this:

spoke to preferred glass guys (autoplus)

they contacted my insurance co for me and confirmed date with me

they did the work & I paid them the excess.

win win

That sounds expensive. I had a new screen fitted by recommended guys recently. It cost £235 and I got £125 back off the insurance - not much use for you as that was in Glasgow, but gives a bit of a benchmark. Must be other good/recommended guys in Essex.

Also before you get them to start the job, lift the screen seal and see what condition is the metal is in round the screen. Mine was a bit of a horror story with heavy corrosion - holes rusted through the A-pillar. Cost about £300 to get that cut out and new steel plates welded in and painted. Nice job though.

D

Why not remove the trims yourself (as they are the bits they always break), then give it to the insurance place. It's just a case of cutting the screen out and gluing a new one in, which shouldn't be rocket science to them. The refit the delicates yourself back at home.

Bear in mind they don't replace the outer seal as standard. Technically it's sold as a separate part by VW and most places refit the old one successfully, but I've also seen complete abortions of a job where the seal sits a cm proud of the car, so you might want to budget for a new seal as well.

Not spotted any corrosion so hoping there is no rust. Will see what happens.

What trim do I remove? Scuttle panel will be renewed as got another already. Do I need to remove anything inside? Like a pillar covers and roof lining at the front.

Hello there,

I can't remember if the seals and trim are still available from VW still ??

There should be 4 pieces to the front windscreen seal / trim.

Original OEM numbers are as below.

(1) 535 845 127A Main rubber one piece seal trim (fits around whole screen)

(2) 535 853 305 Right panel trim piece

(3) 535 853 307A Left panel trim piece

(4) 535 853 306 Top rubber seal

I believe though you can purchase the OEM spec parts still,

from Ebay and from Germany.

The Ebay item is only for the top rubber seal (4)

and the main rubber trim seal (1) that goes right around the front screen.

Cost for this is £7.49

Ebay item n.o = 12 11 49 41 75 40

But like I say you only get the two parts from this Ebay seller.

There are two other companies on the internet who are stocking a large amount of items for the Corrado,

both of which seam to have the same supplier as they are using the same part numbers for some goods.

These two companies below stock the early type and the later VR6 type grills,

also left and right floor panels, plus the later type clear indicators / fog lights I think.

And the left and right OEM repair kits for the Corrado sunroof.

This is just some of what they do / stock.

The first company is European Performance Products.Com (Based in America)

The part number for all 4 pieces of the front screen seal kit,

is this = T8501351870 = all 4 pieces come complete in the kit.

Cost in Dollars is $87.00

This in our money is £54.46

And the second company is ARZ Tuning (Based in or near Germany)

The part number for all 4 pieces of the front screen seal kit,

is this = T8501351870 = all 4 pieces come complete in the kit.

Cost in Euros is £62.05

This in our money it's £51.80

Or again from ARZ Tuning you can purchase the whole front windscreen new,

which will come complete with all 4 pieces of the screen seal kit.

I don't know what the part number is, but the screen is made be Splintex

Cost in Euros is £259.90

This in our money is £218.03

The screen is of the OEM original green tint,

but you can choose as well a dark tint strip to help block out sun light,

this can be Dark green or Blue shade at top of screen.

Plus also VW Heritage may even be able to get the complete seal kit as well ??

Hope this helps.

Si

Ask your preferred fitter if he has a link with your insurance co. This way you get the guy you want for the lower cost.

Thanks for all the info, i'm hoping he is going to sort out all the seals and trim needed.

Just a quick question i need to give an answer for. He asked if i have the tinted top bit which i said yes, but looked at car and i don't think i do have a tinted bit.

Now i have a choice but unsure what i want, do they look much different?

Had the windscreen done today, Chap turned up at 9am, didn't leave till nearly 2.30pm. In the first hour he commented how he had an audi R8 that took 6hrs, so this one will be another story for him :lol:

Was chuffed with the effort he put in and treated some minor rust, he even fitted a new trimming seal around the outside and i wasn't happy with it so he took it off and re fitted the old one, (which is much better)

Took a couple of pics while screen was out.

20131118_114107.jpg

20131118_114058.jpg

Cost me £290, but got the green tinted top (will get photos at some point, looks good)

I have had the Corrado off the road for around a year now, was fine until a windscreen replacement by Autoglass. Don't let them anywhere near it.

I had the old screen removed by them, minor rust sorted by a local bodyshop, then they refitted (all at the bodyshop site). Rust came out around the whole screen where they wrestled the new screen in, the plastic trip was cracked and the internal trim wouldn't fit properly because there was so much glue used. Worst of all, the screen cracked within a few months because it wasn't set in properly. All in all could have killed the car if I didn't like it so much.

Went back to them and got a new windscreen unfitted free, now finally looking at doing the job privately.

Sorry to hijack thread but was very unhappy with Autoglass hacking the car apart and denying fault (except for giving me another screen). Hoping to be on the road soon...