mic_VR

Wood burning stove fitters/fitting

Anyone of you lovely people either a stove fitter or can recommend me a stove fitter in the Cambridge area?

I need a spot of advice on a potential install

Ta!

don't do it, it'll completely ruin the lines of the Corrado

Agreed. Go with the Fusion Reactor.

Well that's why I'm asking. Had someone round just to quote to drop the liner down (already built the hearth, closing plate, stove in place etc myself) and I was amazed at the cost so wanted to get an idea off someone who does it for a living.

For the record, he wants £1k just to drop the liner. Am I being unfair on him?

I've put liners in,usually a two man job,most times they are straight forward.

But they can be a nightmare,this is why the price seems expensive.

Well that's why I'm asking. Had someone round just to quote to drop the liner down (already built the hearth, closing plate, stove in place etc myself) and I was amazed at the cost so wanted to get an idea off someone who does it for a living.

Mike - the place I was on about in Ipswich recently quoted a guy I work with £1900 for installation (not including the burner) and he lives in a bungalow!!

I think it's the Health and Safety b*llocks that you're paying for - scaffolding etc

Sounds a bit steep to me. I've helped to fit a few liners and wood burners. An average liner would prob cost about £300.

I fitted my own liner, stood on the roof, 3 floors high, while my mate fed it out the velux to me, I got the end in the chimney and he went downstairs and pulled it down as I fed it in.......took about an hour all in, including a bit of swearing/laughing etc. Cost approx £400 for the flue, I went for the better spec stainless steel. Then it was about another £100 for the anti downdraught cowl, not to mention the mating piece between the flue and stove, and a few other bits I can't remember. Total cost excluding the stove was circa £600

depends on the grade of stainless twin wall flue liner, 316 cheapest, then 316/904, with 914 most expensive. they'll all do the job, but 914 will outlast the others.

for 914 i got quoted £160 linear meter fitted by two different people, plus £200 for ancillaries, you'll get the 316 for half/ third that price per linear meter.

job takes a few hours for 2 men, access should be via an aluminium tower.

See this is what I was expecting, around the £600 mark. Tempted to get some roof ladders and get up there myself with a friend. No chance of a cherry picker or scaffold due to the location.

have you thought about a telescopic platform, can get up to awkward areas, not to be confused with scissor action platforms that just go up/ down.

The gap between ours and next door is only about 2.5 ft which makes it tricky. Suggestions of stuff I can hire appreciated. I'll look at those telescopic platforms.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76393[/ATTACH]Boom lifts are great and can allow access from a distance even when there are obstacles in the way.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76393[/ATTACH]

Edited by Will.I.Dub

I picked up some flue liner on gumtree for washers. Guy also had the bends I needed too. I actually think they came off the back of a lorry they were so cheap.

Got a local roofer to drop it down, £100. I did the connections at the bottom .Been in two years without a prob.

Whilst we are on the subject, your enjoyment of the stove will be much less with crap wood. Most kiln dried stuff at petrol stations isn't dried enough, so be careful where you source it from. I thought our stove was rubbish until I got some sacks of off cuts from a furniture makers and other logs he'd stored all summer.

Yeah, you gotta have good wood :) Damp wood blackens the glass door quicker!

I always start the fire with a layer of coal anyway, so if the wood is slightly damp, it'll still burn just fine.

Yeah I've got wood stored already as we've got a couple of open fires, this stove is more for background heat.

As suggested above, I've had a look at platforms that might be thin enough to erect in our alleyway. Has anyone used one of these before and how hard are they to assemble? http://www.hss.com/g/80200/Alloy-Narrow-Width-0.85m-x-1.8m-Towers.html

Me and a couple of mates own one of these between us.....not a thin one though.....2 people could put it up full height in under a half hour(ours is 3 levels)......you could do it yourself to be honest , just so much easier with 2, saves all the climbing. The individual panels are light.....the boards you stand on are the only heavy/awkward bits.